The Student Room Group

When my contract ends at my job, do I have to give notice?

Yeah so when I finish my job contract, they will probably keep me on.

But can they extend my contract or do they have to make me sign a new one, I want to quit at the end of my contract - do I have to give notice or can I just quit at the end.
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel

But can they extend my contract or do they have to make me sign a new one, I want to quit at the end of my contract - do I have to give notice or can I just quit at the end.

Always assume that your job role finishes at the end of the contract date they originally gave you; you won't need to give notice. If they do decide to keep you on they will have to let you know (in which you can then refuse/accept) and you'll often be given a new contract to sign!

If this is a retail job sometimes the companies can be a bit unorganised with situations like these...so maybe query it with your manager?

You have no obligation to stay and work as you signed a contract! So don't worry :smile: You'll only need to give notice if you decide to quit after accepting a longer contract.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel

You already have a leaving date and if they want to extend you they'll need to talk to you first. You don't need to give notice.
Thank you both for your replies, specific and helpful.

Repped both.

Plus it was the answer I was looking for :d

Original post by eahumphries
Always assume that your job role finishes at the end of the contract date they originally gave you; you won't need to give notice. If they do decide to keep you on they will have to let you know (in which you can then refuse/accept) and you'll often be given a new contract to sign!

If this is a retail job sometimes the companies can be a bit unorganised with situations like these...so maybe query it with your manager?

You have no obligation to stay and work as you signed a contract! So don't worry :smile: You'll only need to give notice if you decide to quit after accepting a longer contract.

Original post by Mad Vlad
You already have a leaving date and if they want to extend you they'll need to talk to you first. You don't need to give notice.

Quick Reply

Latest