The Student Room Group

Have I chosen the right A-level subjects?

oo
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bobthebuilder99
I have chosen
1.Maths
2.Computer Science
3.History
4.Economics

Are these good subject choices if I want to study Computer Science at Cambridge or Oxford.

I'd say replace Computer Science with Further Maths or Physics, but you should check their entry requirements first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I too would replace computer science with further maths.

My friend has applied to Oxford for computer science and did maths, further maths, chemistry and then physics for AS.
Reply 3
I have chosen
1.Maths
2.Computer Science
3.History
4.Economics

Are these good subject choices if I want to study Computer Science at Cambridge or Oxford.

If you're set on CompSci then I'd replace history with Further Maths. Unlike ICT computing/computer science is well regarded.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Switching out History for FM is probably a better bet.
I have chosen
1.Maths
2.Computer Science
3.History
4.Economics

Hi.
Glad to hear you're interested in our courses.

The standard conditional offer for straight CS at Oxford is currently A*AA with at least an A in maths. The A* has to be in either Math, Further Maths, Physics or Computing. (Although I expect Physics to be dropped from that list by the time you apply.) So, yes it would be possible to get an offer from us with that A Level combination.

However, Computer Science is a very mathematical subject - especially the way we teach it - and we're very much looking for students who have developed their mathematical thinking. Further Maths is recommended as the best preparation for the course. We talk more about this here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/why_oxford/standard_conditional_offers.html (scroll down to the "subject choice in school" section.) So, as has been suggested above, swapping something for Further Maths would be likely to make your application more competitive.

Either History or Economics or CompSci would be absolutely fine with us as third/fourth options alongside M&FM. (Although note we only normally to offer on three A Levels.)

Hope that helps.
(edited 9 years ago)
should I take biology for A-levels if I want to pursue chemical engineering?
Reply 7
I have chosen
1.Maths
2.Computer Science
3.History
4.Economics

Pains me to say this as I worship History, but drop it and take FM. It's what people are doing at my school.
Reply 8
As others have said, further maths is highly recommended for CS at Oxford/Cambridge. History is probably the one you would replace with FM. Some have said you should replace computer science A level, but personally I have found it really useful and gives you a lot of knowledge you'll need for CS at university level.
Reply 9
If I were in you position I would keep Computer Science A level because as well as doing a lot of maths you will indefinitely be doing programming, probably just as much as maths, I would replace either History or Economics with something more relevant like Physics or Further Maths like people have said or maybe something like Electronics as a third or forth subject could be useful to understand the hardware side of the subject but I wouldn't know where Oxford stand on that, might be worth querying?

Hope this helps in any way :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest