The Student Room Group

Personal Statement - more than one subject?

Hi everyone!

So I'm applying for two different subjects at university and its making it quite difficult for me to write my personal statement. The two courses I'm looking at are fashion photography and fashion promotion, but I really only have a lot of experience with the photography side of things. I'm also struggling with how a visit to a fashion photographer's exhibition can be relevant to both courses. Can anyone give me some advice or tips?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Frankisaur
Hi everyone!

So I'm applying for two different subjects at university and its making it quite difficult for me to write my personal statement. The two courses I'm looking at are fashion photography and fashion promotion, but I really only have a lot of experience with the photography side of things. I'm also struggling with how a visit to a fashion photographer's exhibition can be relevant to both courses. Can anyone give me some advice or tips?

Shouldn't be a problem as they're relatively similar degrees - it's not my subject area, but I'd guess that the two tie into each other really! I'd applied for Chemistry with a Biochemistry personal statement - slightly different but still related.

Again not my area as such, but a comment on the style of the photography and the importance of that in promoting the fashion which is being photographed? Just a guess :tongue:
Original post by Frankisaur
Hi everyone!

Although both courses are fashion related it sounds like they're quite different in terms of content. The first thing to do is to have a look at course content and see if there are any overlaps. If there are then focus on them. If there aren't then I'm afraid you're gonna have to pick one course. Unless the uni is willing to let you write an additional separate statement for the other course. The courses are vocational and so it's important to have some experience in the field and although I'm not an expert in the field I think you'll have to pick one in the end.

Quote if you want a reply!
BSc Biochemistry University of York
Working towards a PhD at Queen Mary University of London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending