The Student Room Group

Can guys and girls be just friends?

Scroll to see replies

Yes

IMO, if you find yourself incapable of being friends with the opposite gender you have issues.
Can girls and guys be just friends? Yes, absolutely. It is possible.

However, whether you can be just friends with the opposite sex depends on the dynamics of your friendships.
Original post by bronwencerimarsh
It is possible, most of my friends are guys but from experience, it tends to be one likes the other or the other way around. Sometimes even both, the two best guy friends I've had I ended up going out with, and my current closest one admitted to me he's had feelings for me, and I've previously had feeling for him too. I do still think it's possible though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

it could be in the beginning they weren't looking for more but became more. If you're a friend and become a really good one sometimes you end up getting married. They say during speeches at weddings that they married their best friend. Just go with the flow, friends to relationships is a natural process, you can be just friends also if you want.
Original post by Flyingaround
it could be in the beginning they weren't looking for more but became more. If you're a friend and become a really good one sometimes you end up getting married. They say during speeches at weddings that they married their best friend. Just go with the flow, friends to relationships is a natural process, you can be just friends also if you want.

Exactly, I never planned any of it, I was friends with both of them for a good few years before I went out with them, one of them I was certain I was going to marry, but complications got in the way. It's never anything you expect, but falling in love with one of your best friends can be one of the best things that ever happens to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Very possible for male and females to be friend, trouble is especially in a working enviornment people always get the wrong idea and assume just because you are talking to someone of the opposite sex that there is something going on.
Whats this about the "illusion" of friendship? They're still friends whether they want to sleep with you or not, and ultimately if they want to move things along that doesnt prevent them from being friends.

For example, a girl i like is very much my friend, regardless of whether I want to happen, is still my friend. It's not just some "illusion" i've made in hopes of getting into her pants.

Besides, yes they can. I have another girl whos a friend, and honestly she just isn't my type at all. Convenient, because I'm also not hers.
Reply 26
Original post by Sun Rise
Do you think it's possible, or it's just an illusion of friendship?

this ole thread again.

Yes it's possible to have a guy friend who you totally have no romantic feelings for whatsoever.
If the feeling of mutual friendship nothing more isn't reciprocated that's when things start to get awkward.
And vice versa, if someone just wants to be your friend but you fancy them, it's awkward for them and you can no longer be 'friends'.

The third option is you both genuinely have no feelings more than mates with them. however it is possible for feelings to develop over time, but not for everyone.
The fourth option is you both fancy the hell out of each other, but are using the 'just mates' excuse to spend more time together in which case thats pretty fun :tongue:
Yes yes yes. I have many male friends at uni.
Original post by bronwencerimarsh
Exactly, I never planned any of it, I was friends with both of them for a good few years before I went out with them, one of them I was certain I was going to marry, but complications got in the way. It's never anything you expect, but falling in love with one of your best friends can be one of the best things that ever happens to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep it's good to just have an open mind, never stop friendships from happening. I had a friendship with one girl which was quite funny and it meant we just hung out in her room but we didnt do anything but i'd just lie on her bed while she did her make up and whatever she did with her room :smile:
Reply 29
Theoretically.
Good question. I guess technically, yes?
Original post by sr90
My 2 best friends are girls and there's no feelings what so ever. I don't see why so many people think this is an issue when it really isn't.

saved me writing it again.
Reply 32
Generally I work better with girls than with guys ATM. I think some of the people I've been friends with have had a crush on me and some haven't, but generally those that did realised I wasn't interested.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I have lots of male friends and there has never been any romantic feelings..
Yes, I have lots of female friends that I have zero romantic feelings for, and vice versa. Anyone who tells you that it's rare, or difficult, or unlikely, or whatever, is wrong.

Or they're aged 11 or under.
I haven't read all of the answers above but few of the girls are saying its possible but its actually not.
A survey was conduction in which heterosexual boys and girls who were friends were called to some place and were separated. Each of them was asked the following questions:

1: Are you attracted to your friend?
2: Do you think they are attracted to you?
3: If you get a chance, will you date them?

Almost all of the guys said yes to all three questions. And me being a guy do agree with this statement!
However, when it came to girls, the answer was totally opposite.
It just shows that for a girl, her guy friends are her friends for the sole purpose of getting the chance of dating her.

GIRLS: JUST TO TEST THIS HYPOTHESIS,
DO ASK YOUR FRIENDS IN A JOKINGLY MANNER IF THEY WOULD DATE YOU IF THEY GOT A CHANCE..!!
Original post by Anonymous
I haven't read all of the answers above but few of the girls are saying its possible but its actually not.
A survey was conduction in which heterosexual boys and girls who were friends were called to some place and were separated. Each of them was asked the following questions:

Almost all of the guys said yes to all three questions. And me being a guy do agree with this statement!
It just shows that for a girl, her guy friends are her friends for the sole purpose of getting the chance of dating her.

DO ASK YOUR FRIENDS IN A JOKINGLY MANNER IF THEY WOULD DATE YOU IF THEY GOT A CHANCE..!!

Sounds interesting (and unlikely)... let's have a link to the study then.
I'm bisexual. I guess by this logic I'm not allowed any friends ever because I'm just attracted to everyone
Original post by sr90
My 2 best friends are girls and there's no feelings what so ever. I don't see why so many people think this is an issue when it really isn't.

It depends whether one fancies them or not. For me, I like to have female friends who I don't want to sleep with or have as my girlfriend. So Ideally I'd prefer less attractive female friends, whether that be looks wise or personality. Like it's fine if she is hot but I don't like her personality, but if i fancy her it can't work for me.

Also once you end up in the friendzone with a girl you want as your girlfriend I'd just end the friendship as it makes life easier. Generally I prefer to have male friends although I do have a variety of both.
Original post by Anonymous

Most of my friends are in long term relationships, many of whom are married, have kids, engaged, etc. I'd be rather worried if they did say they'd date. Oh, and many of those male friends are quite a bit older than me.

Quick Reply

Latest