The Student Room Group

finding a part time job with 1 gcse

I only have one because I had to drop out of school at the beginning of year 11. I became I'll and managed to only do maths at a C grade (made to do foundation even though I was at a higher level at school)

At the moment i cant do jobs that involved standing for 2+ hrs without rest which is a lot of shop assistance and waitress roles (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm 17 and am currently doing my GCSEs exams in the coming may/june and its really hard to even find volunteering roles. I've looked everywhere. Now I've started looking at call centres. Does anyone think I'd be considered..? Will they take into account the fact that I didn't get the grades not because I failed but because I didn't do the tests? Where do you think might accept me?

Please help!?
Reply 1
Well companies hire foreign people so just that answer your question??
Original post by Sonic92
Well companies hire foreign people so just that answer your question??

Yes but a lot of them are cleaning and high labour jobs which I can't do due to the physical demand.

Bump any other advice?! Please!
Reply 3
you became ill right?
Why is it that you want a job?
if i was in your position, i would take advantage of this year- rather than looking for a job, i would revise for the upcoming exams, prepare for a-levels, research and decide on what i want to become, what i want to study possibly in university.
Don't rush yourself into work, you have your whole life ahead of you!
Original post by FRizg.
you became ill right?
Why is it that you want a job?
if i was in your position, i would take advantage of this year- rather than looking for a job, i would revise for the upcoming exams, prepare for a-levels, research and decide on what i want to become, what i want to study possibly in university.
Don't rush yourself into work, you have your whole life ahead of you!

Yes but I want to do something because I'm doing home studying so I have a lot of opportunity to do more. I'm looking for a part time unpaid or paid placement.

I want a job to get experience like a lot of people my age..? Just because I became ill doesn't mean that I have to restrict myself more than is needed. You wouldn't say that to anyone else so why me..
Original post by Ambrosia_angel
Yes but I want to do something because I'm doing home studying so I have a lot of opportunity to do more. I'm looking for a part time unpaid or paid placement.

I want a job to get experience like a lot of people my age..? Just because I became ill doesn't mean that I have to restrict myself more than is needed. You wouldn't say that to anyone else so why me..

Why dont you volunteer with rainbows/brownies/guides?
Reply 6

That's not true. I am the same age as you- quite a lot of my friends work or volunteer but i have no idea how they keep up. i mean i stay home- i am always doing something yet, i am so behind on my work- they are too and they always complain.
My point is, use your time wisely. the last year of GCSE's is the most important. looking for a job, writing a cv, working..ect all these thing will distract you. Of course, experience is important but the first thing colleges look at are grades.
Despite being ill, you managed to get a C for maths - that is quite an achievement so keep it up.
I have a phone interview with sainsburys. Thanks for the (not really) advice.
I only have one because I had to drop out of school at the beginning of year 11. I became I'll and managed to only do maths at a C grade (made to do foundation even though I was at a higher level at school)

At the moment i cant do jobs that involved standing for 2+ hrs without rest which is a lot of shop assistance and waitress roles (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm 17 and am currently doing my GCSEs exams in the coming may/june and its really hard to even find volunteering roles. I've looked everywhere. Now I've started looking at call centres. Does anyone think I'd be considered..? Will they take into account the fact that I didn't get the grades not because I failed but because I didn't do the tests? Where do you think might accept me?

Please help!?

Hi,

Your situation was very similar to mine. All I would say to you is don't give up. I was in your position and really struggled to find permanent employment for a few years. In the end I had enough of it and went to university. I graduated with a first class law degree and got a scholarship to pursue an LLM at LSE. Sometimes in life, times like you are currently experiencing make you a lot stronger, and especially more driven.

Good luck with your future and, as I have already said, do not give up.

Mark

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending