The Student Room Group

I always feel awkward meeting my girlfriend's friends? (HELP)

Hi guys,

My girlfriend is a fairly social girl unlike me, but when I meet my friends I feel like they always have their 'inside jokes' sort of or talk about things I can't add too. She wants me to come with her today to meet up with her gay male friend as he has a new flat but I always feel like I shouldn't be there like I'm a mole that you don't really want. There's always awkward silent moments where we sit there doing nothing for a while and I get paranoid it's because I'm there and they don't know what to say infront of me.

I know it may be mainly in my head but It makes me more self conscious as I want to appear like a confident person infront of her friends!

Anyone relate or any ideas how I can get over this?
why don't you start a conversation with her friends? like "oh did anyone see..." or speak to your girlfriend about it?
Reply 2
Yep, I've experienced this too. Other people's friendship groups are often awkward unless your a complete extrovert socialite. Try some alcohol to ease social tensions.
Reply 3
Assuming you and your gf have things in common and that you get along with her, you should feel comfortable around her friends too. You'll soon realise how similar in personality her and her friends are, find something you all like and strike up a conversation.
Hi guys,

Made it through the night, and wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but probably because I over thought and exaggerated, so I guess future advice would be to relax. I did also buy alcohol for a social gathering (also just uncase) but never ended up even opening it.

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply

Latest