The Student Room Group

Girlfriend always talks over me

My girlfriend always talks over me/over reacts to things.

We were having a conversation last night.

I basically said something and she responded by telling me how stupid what I said was and literally kept saying X5 (Rapid fire action) "don't you see how dumb that is?" So I explained why I said what I said and she said "So why didn't you say it like that in the first place?" "I said what's the problem, it's a simple thing why are you getting so worked up?" Then she kept repeating "You don't see how stupid you said that did you?" So I said in a slightly raised voice "Just chill out a bit"

At which point she started repeatedly started asking me "What gives you the right to raise your voice at me?" *As though I'd nuked her house*

I said it was getting frustrating (I had a headache, also she does this quite often) that she was overreacting.

Am I in the wrong? Is what I did really that bad?

*What we were talking about was honestly something silly. Also she does this quite often - talking over me.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous

I basically said something and she responded by telling me how stupid what I said was and literally kept saying X5 (Rapid fire action) "don't you see how dumb that is?" So I explained why I said what I said and she said "So why didn't you say it like that in the first place?" "I said what's the problem, it's a simple thing why are you getting so worked up?" Then she kept repeating "You don't see how stupid you said that did you?" So I said in a slightly raised voice "Just chill out a bit"

At which point she started repeatedly started asking me "What gives you the right to raise your voice at me?" *As though I'd nuked her house*

I said it was getting frustrating (I had a headache, also she does this quite often) that she was overreacting.

*What we were talking about was honestly something silly. Also she does this quite often - talking over me.

woah i don't think you were in the wrong you're girlfriend obviously fails to respect your opinions - speak to her and let her know what she's doing
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Safiya122
woah i don't think you were in the wrong you're girlfriend obviously fails to respect your opinions - speak to her and let her know what she's doing

She won't accept it to be honest, she will just tell me I shouldn't have raised my voice and that nothing she did should cause me to do that.
She won't accept it to be honest, she will just tell me I shouldn't have raised my voice and that nothing she did should cause me to do that.

to me, that sounds like she was trying to pick a fight for some reason.

The stupid was to get a reaction. Then when she got it when you raised your voice she drove it home
haha, oh dear, this sounds like me. trust me, it's not your fault - it's probably just part of her personality. is she used to getting her own way?
Reply 5
Deny her sex until she behaves more reasonably
Reply 6
maybe its her time of the month
Reply 7
Original post by silverbolt
to me, that sounds like she was trying to pick a fight for some reason.

The stupid was to get a reaction. Then when she got it when you raised your voice she drove it home

Yeah but what do I do now...because I know she won't talk until I talk to her *Since I'm mostly the one who has to call her back after something like this happens*. Do I apologise?
Reply 8
Original post by Autumnsong
haha, oh dear, this sounds like me. trust me, it's not your fault - it's probably just part of her personality. is she used to getting her own way?

I don't know lol with me she does generally

Original post by Uw0tm8_
maybe its her time of the month

lol no she does this quite often, I know when she is on her period :tongue:
Yeah but what do I do now...because I know she won't talk until I talk to her *Since I'm mostly the one who has to call her back after something like this happens*. Do I apologise?

do you feel you were in the wrong? Or will you just apologise and say you were wrong just to keep the peace.

THe first is fine, th second shows your needs in the relationship are not as important as hers
Reply 10

I wonder why would you want to be with her in the first place if she treats you this way :s-smilie:

If if it was me, I'd be tempted to slap that hysterical bitch.

But that's just me, your mileage may differ. You might also not drink Stella.
I don't know lol with me she does generally

lol no she does this quite often, I know when she is on her period :tongue:

she sounds like she isnt happy in the relationship.. but can't break up with you, so finds everything you do annoying and shes trying to get you to break up with her instead. D:
Original post by Uw0tm8_
she sounds like she isnt happy in the relationship.. but can't break up with you, so finds everything you do annoying and shes trying to get you to break up with her instead. D:

in which case, he should annoy the hell out of her and make it a game, to derive satisfaction from what would otherwise be an unsatisfactory situtation.
Original post by silverbolt
do you feel you were in the wrong? Or will you just apologise and say you were wrong just to keep the peace.

THe first is fine, th second shows your needs in the relationship are not as important as hers

I guess just to keep the peace.. because I want us to be happy..

Original post by kka25
I wonder why would you want to be with her in the first place if she treats you this way :s-smilie:

I had a really bad relationship previously..the girl I'm with now made me really happy during the first year and then she started to turn up late to things constantly, get annoyed easily etc *She's not cheating, I know that 100%, she isn't the type.." But I'm just trying and hopefully it will get back to how that first year was eventually?
Reply 15
I guess just to keep the peace.. because I want us to be happy..

I had a really bad relationship previously..the girl I'm with now made me really happy during the first year and then she started to turn up late to things constantly, get annoyed easily etc *She's not cheating, I know that 100%, she isn't the type.." But I'm just trying and hopefully it will get back to how that first year was eventually?

If I were in a relationship and that person called me stupid, I'd probably re-evaluate my relationship with them; talking over me? Well ... that's one of the things that I don't tolerate unless it's something worth to get excited about.

Maybe the honeymoon period is over mate; she's showing her true colours : /
Original post by thisistheend
in which case, he should annoy the hell out of her and make it a game, to derive satisfaction from what would otherwise be an unsatisfactory situtation.

Relationship goals
Original post by kka25
If I were in a relationship and that person called me stupid, I'd probably re-evaluate my relationship with them; talking over me? Well ... that's one of the things that I don't tolerate unless it's something worth to get excited about.

Maybe the honeymoon period is over mate; she's showing her true colours : /

Yeah idk I mean she didn't call me stupid directly she just kept saying what I was saying was stupid? Me neither, but the thing is she never used to do it, it's just this year it's been building up you know.. Idk man lol I can't picture myself without her, too many good memories lol...
Reply 18
Yeah idk I mean she didn't call me stupid directly she just kept saying what I was saying was stupid? Me neither, but the thing is she never used to do it, it's just this year it's been building up you know.. Idk man lol I can't picture myself without her, too many good memories lol...

See how she reacted, "what gives you the ... ". Can you imagine her doing that to you again and again?

But it's really your call on the matter really : /

If you're not getting laid then what's the point in putting up with this mental abuse?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending