The Student Room Group

Gap Year/Retake Year?????

So,
Last year i had a tough time (A2). Therefore my grades were lower than expected- I ended up with BCC but with my AS retakes i have BBB AS :biggrin:
Anyway, after deciding that i didn't want to take any of the courses in clearing, I decided to resit both modules from both Biology and Chemistry (i got C's in those). However, I took on a part time job and i found it extremely difficult to have time to study and work so i quit. But now as I start to edit my personal statement from last year I don't how/what to write about this year!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
BTW i'm hoping to study Bioveterinary Science or Animal Biology
a personal statement will focus on the type of individual you are and what career you want to pursue so what courses you see are beneficial for you :smile: why don't you do some work experience or do voluntary work like once or twice a week?
Your personal statement should be about your academic interest in the subject and why you want to study it further. You can mention career plans but just a couple of lines in the conclusion is enough as your ideas and interests are likely to change during your studies. Write about your gap year only in terms of how you developed your interest in the subject or developed relevant skills. You don't need to mention it if you haven't got either of those things to say about it. Finally, the courses you've chosen are academic, not vocational. So while it'll help for you to have some work experience it isn't compulsory for you to.

Quote if you want a reply!
BSc Biochemistry University of York
Working towards a PhD at Queen Mary University of London
Reply 3
Original post by Safiya122
a personal statement will focus on the type of individual you are and what career you want to pursue so what courses you see are beneficial for you :smile: why don't you do some work experience or do voluntary work like once or twice a week?

Yes, good idea. I will get looking! Also, me and a friend are planning to work abroad for 2 weeks after my exams- so should i write that i propose to do that? I have already accumulated over 13 weeks of work experience and i have written about what i have gained from them in my personal statement :smile: So basically, i treat this year as an experience and try to state the skills that i have gained so far?
Thanks for your prompt reply!
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
Your personal statement should be about your academic interest in the subject and why you want to study it further. You can mention career plans but just a couple of lines in the conclusion is enough as your ideas and interests are likely to change during your studies. Write about your gap year only in terms of how you developed your interest in the subject or developed relevant skills. You don't need to mention it if you haven't got either of those things to say about it. Finally, the courses you've chosen are academic, not vocational. So while it'll help for you to have some work experience it isn't compulsory for you to.

Quote if you want a reply!
BSc Biochemistry University of York
Working towards a PhD at Queen Mary University of London

So, If i were to do some voluntary work- say once a week. I would just write that and state the skills gained? Do i need to say that i resat as i knew that i could get better grades as i only got the grades that i did because of personal circumstances?
Again, thanks for your prompt response and I look forward to your reply :biggrin:
You need to reflect on your experience, what you learnt and skills gained and how it's helped with your application. Let your referee talk about your grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending