The Student Room Group

"It's only embarrassing if you care what other people think"?

I mean in social situations is this statement true do you think? I mean why am I often stuck inside on the internet & not interacting with people outside. A lot of it is down to being worried about potentially embarrassing myself in front of others. If I could just create a mindset where I don't think others are thinking that I'm a weirdo/freak/dumbass etc I'm sure I'd be so much more comfortable outside :moon:
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes!

My Shop Friend always used to say this to me, "why do you care so much if something's embarrassing?" "who cares if it's cringey?" "embrace the cringe" etc.
Basically saying that if you don't care what people think, then embarrassing things won't really bother you!

Of course, this is much easier in theory :blush: It's really hard to control your thoughts in RL. :grumble:
Original post by Maid Marian
Yes!

My Shop Friend always used to say this to me, "why do you care so much if something's embarrassing?" "who cares if it's cringey?" "embrace the cringe" etc.
Basically saying that if you don't care what people think, then embarrassing things won't really bother you!

Of course, this is much easier in theory :blush: It's really hard to control your thoughts in RL. :grumble:
Yeah exactly, but atm my social life is rubbish, & people are likely not to come to me so I need to put myself out there more & risk "embarrassment" I agree for people like me & you it really is easier said then done, I mean your mind is thinking all things & it can be hard to control anxious thoughts :redface: Hopefully we get there in the end though (soon please!!! :biggrin:)
Original post by Multitalented me
Yeah exactly, but atm my social life is rubbish, & people are likely not to come to me so I need to put myself out there more & risk "embarrassment" I agree for people like me & you it really is easier said then done, I mean your mind is thinking all things & it can be hard to control anxious thoughts :redface: Hopefully we get there in the end though (soon please!!! :biggrin:)

I'm better than I was, I'm a fair bit better at "numbing" myself to other people now than I used to be. :blush:
Reply 4
no one can make you feel something unless you let them,

unless they punch you,

you control your emotions

embarrassment isnt' always bad, you should be embarrassed after having an affair it just means you recognise what your doing is wrong.

if you don't think you do anything wrong don't get embarrassed.
I mean in social situations is this statement true do you think? I mean why am I often stuck inside on the internet & not interacting with people outside. A lot of it is down to being worried about potentially embarrassing myself in front of others. If I could just create a mindset where I don't think other are thinking I'm a weirdo/freak/dumbass etc I'm sure I'd be so much more comfortable outside :moon:

I'm a lot like this OP...
Reply 6
I mean in social situations is this statement true do you think? I mean why am I often stuck inside on the internet & not interacting with people outside. A lot of it is down to being worried about potentially embarrassing myself in front of others. If I could just create a mindset where I don't think other are thinking I'm a weirdo/freak/dumbass etc I'm sure I'd be so much more comfortable outside :moon:

yes this is true, there are some situation where even if you have a "**** You" attitude you still can't help but be embarrassed

But if you can laugh it off and make jokes about what happened yourself then you've robbed anyone else of being able to embarrass you, it takes a while to not give a damn, i can do it in certain situations, it took me till uni to do horse riding, i'd always wanted to horse ride for years but didn't cos i was too embarrassed about it being 'girly'
Just so you know, embarrassment is an evolutionary advantage - people warm more to those who show humility.
Reply 8
Yes.

Also guybrush is right
The best outcome is not feeling it and faking the response

Regards
KJew
Original post by Tomsta

But if you can laugh it off and make jokes about what happened yourself then you've robbed anyone else of being able to embarrass you, it takes a while to not give a damn, i can do it in certain situations, it took me till uni to do horse riding, i'd always wanted to horse ride for years but didn't cos i was too embarrassed about it being 'girly'
That's good it's how you improve your confidence, you can lose many opportunities & miss out on things if you're too worried about how other perceive you, you don't want to have negative thoughts in your mind, also don't over analyse things & just go for it like you & horse riding :smile:
Original post by DErasmus
no one can make you feel something unless you let them,

unless they punch you,

you control your emotions

embarrassment isnt' always bad, you should be embarrassed after having an affair it just means you recognise what your doing is wrong.

if you don't think you do anything wrong don't get embarrassed.

That isn't true though is it, largely you can't help how you feel about situations, other people or yourself. It's how you deal with feeling like that, and how much you let it dictate your actions, that matters. At least that's what I reckon.
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
Just so you know, embarrassment is an evolutionary advantage - people warm more to those who show humility.

I don't understand how the two halves of that sentence are related to each other. What does embarrassment (or are you referring to a lack of it?) have to do with humility?

To the OP, I don't think that's true, no, at least not for everybody. Personally the only witness I get embarrassed in front of is myself. I can do something that other people find embarrassing, but if I don't find it embarrassing I won't get embarrassed. However if I find it embarrassing, it doesn't matter that other people don't find it embarrassing, the fact I find it embarrassing makes me embarrassed.

I hate spelling that word, embarrassed. I can't type it once without misspelling it. That to me is embarrassing, even though nobody else is going to care.
Original post by Powpowpowpowpow
I don't understand how the two halves of that sentence are related to each other. What does embarrassment (or are you referring to a lack of it?) have to do with humility?

To the OP, I don't think that's true, no, at least not for everybody. Personally the only witness I get embarrassed in front of is myself. I can do something that other people find embarrassing, but if I don't find it embarrassing I won't get embarrassed. However if I find it embarrassing, it doesn't matter that other people don't find it embarrassing, the fact I find it embarrassing makes me embarrassed.

I hate spelling that word, embarrassed. I can't type it once without misspelling it. That to me is embarrassing, even though nobody else is going to care.

I don't understand how you don't understand how embarrassment is related to humility.
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
I don't understand how you don't understand how embarrasment is related to humility.

I see the potential for coincidental situational overlap between embarrassment and humility, just like any combination of emotions can potentially overlap due to the situation. However it appeared you were referring to something more specific than that in your post, that's what I couldn't figure out.
Original post by Dr Pesto
That isn't true though is it, largely you can't help how you feel about situations, other people or yourself. It's how you deal with feeling like that, and how much you let it dictate your actions, that matters. At least that's what I reckon.

That's because you let yourself be dictated to by others.

Quick Reply

Latest