The Student Room Group

What tyres will you be using this winter?

What tyres will you be using for this winter and why won't you be using cold weather tyres if you won't be doing so?
Original post by Alfissti
What tyres will you be using for this winter and why won't you be using cold weather tyres if you won't be doing so?

Summer tyres.

Some reasons:
* I don't live in a part of the UK consistently dominated by snowfall during the Winter. (Last winter and the one before there wasn't ANY.)
* Winter tyres require extra £££. As a student, not exactly rich.
* Having two sets of tyres require extra storage space - which I don't have.
I don't know anyone in the UK who changes their tyres for winter.
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Summer tyres.

Some reasons:
* I don't live in a part of the UK consistently dominated by snowfall during the Winter. (Last winter and the one before there wasn't ANY.)

I agree.
(although im not a student any more. But im not exactly made of money so cant warrant the extra cost of winter tyres)
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree.
(although im not a student any more. But im not exactly made of money so cant warrant the extra cost of winter tyres)

I never used to bother with winter tyres until I started living in Norway because it is a legal requirement here.

Since then, the car I have in UK I also use winter tyres though not the ones with metal studs.

It does make a lot of difference if you live off a B-road, have a hilly driveway or drive into any non-urban areas. Shorter stopping distances, significantly easier to take off and in most cases better control in an event of a skid.
Reply 5
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Summer tyres.

Some reasons:

There are some tyre shops in UK that will help you store your winter tyres.
There are some tyre shops in UK that will help you store your winter tyres.

Still extra expense and hassle.

That said, if I lived in the south of Germany (for example), not having winter tyres wouldn't be smart.
Reply 7
None. Mainly due to cost and hassle, when I live in Wales where the chances of snow are incredibly slim. Monumental levels of rain, yes, but no snow. Plus I live in Cardiff which is almost entirely flat, so I can make do with my all seasons.
Reply 8
None here also. Its never snowy enough round here to require them, and its all flat too. Besides the cost of buying and storing is so high, so my all season tyres will do for me.
Reply 9
Michelin X-Ice Xi3
I never used to bother with winter tyres until I started living in Norway because it is a legal requirement here.

Since then, the car I have in UK I also use winter tyres though not the ones with metal studs.

It does make a lot of difference if you live off a B-road, have a hilly driveway or drive into any non-urban areas. Shorter stopping distances, significantly easier to take off and in most cases better control in an event of a skid.

I see what you are saying.
But seeing as round where i live didnt have ANY snow last winter, i dont think ill bother.
I will use the same tyres that I use in the Summer, why? Because they function just fine :biggrin:
My car had M+S tyres when I bought it and I did notice they were remarkably good at driving on polished snow... back then I also had to drive on some hairy rural roads. I can't be bothered now though for reasons of cost - there's usually only a handful of days a year when I'd benefit from having them and I'm only ever using roads that get gritted.
Hankook Dynapro M/T all round. Same as the summer.

I'll be driving slowly...!
Reply 14
Uniroyal Rainsport 3
Original post by h4mza
Uniroyal Rainsport 3

... A summer tyre?
Reply 16
Original post by shaymarriott
... A summer tyre?

All season, summer and winter.
Original post by AlphaTango
I don't know anyone in the UK who changes their tyres for winter.

This! If no one else does why should I haha

Quick Reply