The Student Room Group

First ever job interview! Help!

I've got my first ever job interview this Wednesday and I'm quite nervous.

It's for a hotel as bar and waiting staff, its quite a fancy hotel too so that's quite nerve racking :s-smilie:

Basically, does anyone have any words of wisdom? Especially when it comes to me asking them questions?:confused::confused::confused:
they're probably most likely to focus on like your socializing skills and stuff, just stay calm and answer the questions as best as you can
Original post by Ubergooose
I've got my first ever job interview this Wednesday and I'm quite nervous.

It's for a hotel as bar and waiting staff, its quite a fancy hotel too so that's quite nerve racking :s-smilie:

Basically, does anyone have any words of wisdom? Especially when it comes to me asking them questions?:confused::confused::confused:

Hi Ubergooose!

Try not to let nerves get to you, though that's easier said than done. There are a few things I'd recommend doing (I have a temp job in Clintons, if you're wondering).

1. Have some research done on the hotel if possible, they may ask you as to determine how much you want a job with them as opposed to any job.

2. Don't dress excessively, otherwise it may look like you're trying to get by on looking smart rather than having an enthusiasm (or at least feigned interest) for the work. Dress smart but sensibly, you're not looking to become a banker or CEO through this interview so a full-on suit (or dress, whichever works) might be too much. Even if this is a fancy hotel, you'd likely be wearing something close to a smart shirt, trousers/skirt, maybe a waistcoat and maybe a tie during work.

3. Think about the kinds of questions they might ask you and come up with ways to start your replies, but don't come up with an entire response to recite! If you do, you can forget it halfway through and you'll wind up floundering, so come up with some key points (e.g. relevant experiences) and don't ramble.

4. Have questions ready before you go in, but don't come up with them for the sake of it. If they've answered all your questions you're not obligated to ask any further ones.

5. Body language. Don't cross your arms or fidget and seem approachable! Your prospective line of work is going to involve talking to customers and probably making small talk, so demonstrate confidence in the interview!

Hope this helps!

Yours,
Grey
Reply 3
Original post by ThenameisGrey
Hi Ubergooose!

Try not to let nerves get to you, though that's easier said than done. There are a few things I'd recommend doing (I have a temp job in Clintons, if you're wondering).

1. Have some research done on the hotel if possible, they may ask you as to determine how much you want a job with them as opposed to any job.

2. Don't dress excessively, otherwise it may look like you're trying to get by on looking smart rather than having an enthusiasm (or at least feigned interest) for the work. Dress smart but sensibly, you're not looking to become a banker or CEO through this interview so a full-on suit (or dress, whichever works) might be too much. Even if this is a fancy hotel, you'd likely be wearing something close to a smart shirt, trousers/skirt, maybe a waistcoat and maybe a tie during work.

3. Think about the kinds of questions they might ask you and come up with ways to start your replies, but don't come up with an entire response to recite! If you do, you can forget it halfway through and you'll wind up floundering, so come up with some key points (e.g. relevant experiences) and don't ramble.

4. Have questions ready before you go in, but don't come up with them for the sake of it. If they've answered all your questions you're not obligated to ask any further ones.

5. Body language. Don't cross your arms or fidget and seem approachable! Your prospective line of work is going to involve talking to customers and probably making small talk, so demonstrate confidence in the interview!

Hope this helps!

Yours,
Grey

Thank you so much!

I'm mostly worried as i find it difficult to talk, i just ramble on sometimes, scared i'll speak for 10 minutes about something really irrelevant! haha

Thanks though, this is really helpful :smile:
Thank you so much!

I'm mostly worried as i find it difficult to talk, i just ramble on sometimes, scared i'll speak for 10 minutes about something really irrelevant! haha

Thanks though, this is really helpful :smile:

Hi again!

I reckon we're all now wondering how you think it went! Did you feel OK with it in the end?

Yours,
Grey
Reply 5
Hi again!

I reckon we're all now wondering how you think it went! Did you feel OK with it in the end?

Yours,
Grey

Yeah it went really well!

Was a lot less formal than I expected which was nice, more of a casual conversation :smile:

Have to go for a trial but they said that they would really like to take me on so success!
Yeah it went really well!

Was a lot less formal than I expected which was nice, more of a casual conversation :smile:

Have to go for a trial but they said that they would really like to take me on so success!

Nice one! Getting a trial after your first interview is very lucky, I had to go through four of them before landing the temp job I've got now. Best of luck with your trial!

Yours,
Grey
Reply 7
Nice one! Getting a trial after your first interview is very lucky, I had to go through four of them before landing the temp job I've got now. Best of luck with your trial!

Yours,
Grey

Yeah i've applied to so many jobs over the past few months, its about time all those applications turned into something :smile:

Thanks for the help xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending