The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yup I think so. Especially if it were the only subject you're doing.
Definitely.
Yeah am sure you can.
Reply 4
Good luck is all I can say :biggrin:
Reply 5
When i 1st saw the title of the post, i was thinking no chance!

But considering its the only subject your taking, i think its a real possibility!
..ALthough make sure you research into what exam board you are doing and whether or not they need coursework etc. But as a confident booster my friend did two alevels in one year and got an A in one and a high B in the other so theres always hope :smile:
I think it's a good idea, you'll find things easier to learn as well because there are so many things which link between AS and A2. I mean, on many ocassions you just have to memerise the info at AS, but then the the topic is met again at A2, but in more depth, this is where the understanding lies. For example, at AS (edexcel) there were oragnic reactions, in A2 we learnt the mechanisms for these reactions, which would of made it easier for AS. Thus this makes teaching easier as well!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 8
you can do it, good luck
Reply 9
What about practicals?
Reply 10
private candidates dont do it i dont tink
f_debelder
What about practicals?

I'm sure there's a coursework option
fabo89
Would you say that it is possible to achieve an A grade at A level chem whilst doing AS/A2 in a year.It would the only subject I would be doing that year.

yep. personally i thought that A2 was easier than As anyway, once you have grasped the basic principles you should be ok. good luck
Reply 13
I'm doing it at the moment! and yeah it'y my only subject. finding it pretty tough at the moment because ive forgotten all the GCSE stuff...got E's in my first 2 tests :eek: ....but i'm sure i'll get the hang of it..a lot of ppl hav told me that its not as difficult as it seems:confused: . the other thing is, if u dont do well in the Jan AS exams, just do them again in June...it's only 6 exams at the end of the day (if it's ur only subject):yy: .
Good luck
a lot of ppl hav told me that its not as difficult as it seems

Seriously, they lie...my ENTIRE chemistry class actively tries to dissuade yr11s and 12s from taking up/continuing with it. Chem boggles your mind, the only reason people do chemistry in my sixth form is because they need it for their degree.
f_debelder
Seriously, they lie...my ENTIRE chemistry class actively tries to dissuade yr11s and 12s from taking up/continuing with it. Chem boggles your mind, the only reason people do chemistry in my sixth form is because they need it for their degree.

Really?
Reply 16
I have to ask you why? I am forced to do chemistry AS this year because the college screwed up and i need that subject to get fulltime hours ((i had 14 hours and i needed 15 and now i got 19 hours of college not including tutorial) . Now i am stuck with it. My teacher is threatning to kick me out if i don't get a get 60% on my tests. Bah.

I have to admit though. I haven't tried much. I used to love chemistry but my new teacher makes it so boring i sometimes fall asleep listening to him.
Mustard-man
Really?

thats the only reason i did chem was just because for med you need it. But i have to admit i did end up enjoying the reactions at the end
Chemistry is cool. I have a great teacher who really knows his stuff. He used to be an admissions tutor.
I like the fact there isn't a huge amount of material to learn-- we're over half way into unit 4 and its only first week of October-- and once you learn the theory its not too bad. You do have to sit down and make sure you get it right though.

Doable. Good luck.
Wow silent_ninja, which syllabus are you doing? There's looads of reactions to learn for Edexcel Unit 4...

Chem needs really young, bright, motivated teachers imo especially for advanced level. If you try and teach things like periodicity (brain numbing) by rote learning and blind lecturing, its a real killer. I just wish they livened up the syllabus more and made it a leeetle bit more relevant to my life!

Latest