The Student Room Group

Do I have enough experience for a Primary Education Undergraduate Course?

Hello!
I'm an A2 student currently writing my personal statement and I would like to make sure that I have enough experience to get into universities. I feel like I do not have enough experience, and my head of year has told me that I can't take a large block of time off, so it makes me feel under more pressure!
I currently help out in a primary school every Friday with year 1 and 3 and have done since the end of September and can continue to do so until the interviews. I currently listen and advise year 7's reading in a vertical tutoring system. I have also been advised by my head of year to shadow a teacher in a secondary school, but I feel like this might be irrelevant to my course? Have I got enough experience? Please help, thank you!
Original post by eattothebeat
Hello!
I'm an A2 student currently writing my personal statement and I would like to make sure that I have enough experience to get into universities. I feel like I do not have enough experience, and my head of year has told me that I can't take a large block of time off, so it makes me feel under more pressure!
I currently help out in a primary school every Friday with year 1 and 3 and have done since the end of September and can continue to do so until the interviews. I currently listen and advise year 7's reading in a vertical tutoring system. I have also been advised by my head of year to shadow a teacher in a secondary school, but I feel like this might be irrelevant to my course? Have I got enough experience? Please help, thank you!

I think you have enough experience. They will understand there is only so much you can do given that most primary schools only open when you are at school/college yourself! However what's really important is not the quantity of experience but the quality. So really showing in the personal statement what you've learnt in your time in the school, and that you have a knowledge of the education system. Things like "I've learnt that I have a passion for children" are all well and good, but specific knowledge of the education system will impress them more, such as "I've been able to observe key areas such as phonics being taught and helped year 1 students to practise for the phonics screening check." Or if you haven't really been able to learn much about the curriculum, you could ask the teacher where you help out if you could sit down with her and talk about some key areas like phonics, numeracy, learning through play, etc. Good luck!
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending