The Student Room Group

Nagging lower back pain.

Basically in the past few weeks I have been suffering lower back pains on and off. I assume I have got rid of it after a couple of sessions where I am lifting my target weights (BB rows) just fine, but then it comes back the next workout to prohibit my workouts going to plan.

I could only lift 1-2 reps of 75% of my 5RM on Deadlift.

I believe that my routine has been neglecting my lower back and this has led to my hamstrings being overdeveloped in comparison, thus an imbalance. I don't like doing the barbell rows, I always feel like my lower back is struggling to hold the weight (I'm at 85kg 3x5 Row)

I am just wondering if it is just rest I need or do I need a change in routine.

This is my routine, I have been training for 10 months and train 6 days a week. Gains have been consistent and good. :

Push (Chest/Triceps/Shoulders):

Flat Barbell Bench Press: 3x5
Seated (or Standing) Barbell Shoulder/Overhead Press: 3x5
Incline Barbell Bench Press: 3x5
Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise: 3x10-12
Rope Pushdowns (circuit machine): 3x10-12
Overhead Dumbbell Extension or similar triceps exercise: 3x10-12
Shrugs(circuit machine or dumbbells): 3x10-12

Pull (Back/Biceps):

Barbell Rows: 3x5
Lat Pulldowns with (Long Bar or V-bar) (circuit machine): 3x8-10
Seated Rows (circuit machine) - optional if already doing barbell rows: 3x8-10
Face-pulls: 3x-10-12
Barbell Bicep Curls (Alternate between close and normal grip): 4x-10-12
Choice of one other bicep exercise (typically Hammer Curls): 3x10-12

Legs (Quad/Ham/Calves):

Barbell Squats: 4x5-6
Leg Press (optional if already doing above squats): 3x8-10
Leg Extensions (circuit machine): 3x10-12
Hamstring Curls (circuit machine): 3x10-12
Standing Calf Raises (circuit machine): 5x10-12

I usually do L/P/P [REST] LPP
why don't you have your back massaged or like use hot water to have a shower with once you've done your workout?
Take a week off

Buy a foam roller, foam roll thoracic spine, glutes and hams

If back pain worsens - go to GP

Deadlift if you're worried about balance problems

Your routine needs work

In that order
Reply 3
Original post by Angry cucumber
Take a week off

Buy a foam roller, foam roll thoracic spine, glutes and hams

If back pain worsens - go to GP

Deadlift if you're worried about balance problems

Your routine needs work

In that order

Yes, apart from chest I don't really like it (I throw in some flyes too). But that is just because my bench has greatly improved with the programme. Otherwise, I don't think its optimal for much else. I don't like the training of Bench Press and OHP on the same day, it is just asking for injury trouble. (Keeping in mind my past rotator cuff problems).

I prefer this: http://www.t-nation.com/workouts/boring-but-big-3-month-challenge
Why is bench press and ohp on the same day asking for injury trouble?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Why is bench press and ohp on the same day asking for injury trouble?

Posted from TSR Mobile

"(Keeping in mind my past rotator cuff problems). "
Wear and tear.
Reply 6
I'd add posture/technique to Cucumber's list. If you have bad posture then do bent over rows or squats then you can be doing then with your back in an unhealthy position or your posture can be fine and it's completely technique problem. Your programme isn't great but it's not something I'd expect to see cause your back problems so I'd bet posture/technique as a more likely cause.
Reply 7
Original post by BKS
I'd add posture/technique to Cucumber's list. If you have bad posture then do bent over rows or squats then you can be doing then with your back in an unhealthy position or your posture can be fine and it's completely technique problem. Your programme isn't great but it's not something I'd expect to see cause your back problems so I'd bet posture/technique as a more likely cause.

Yes, I agree it is posture and technique. I sit in a bad way a lot of the times. I don't like the back day on this routine either, too much dependence on the BB row to build the back. I feel like the deadlift better as it hits the entire back more effectively. No imbalances that may cause injury. At the moment I feel like my hamstrings are disproportionately stronger than the lower back area.
Any specific symptoms?

The back is a very complex peice of kit and you can get refered pain all over the place.

Do you ever stretch?

If your getting back pain, it's probably a good idea to back off what you're doing that involves it for the mean time. Don't try and work through the pain.
Reply 9
Original post by Pegasus2
Any specific symptoms?

The back is a very complex peice of kit and you can get refered pain all over the place.

Do you ever stretch?

If your getting back pain, it's probably a good idea to back off what you're doing that involves it for the mean time. Don't try and work through the pain.

Pain in the lower back just above the flutes when i bend over to pick up weights. I try to keep a straight back when practicing my form but it's been hurting an aching pain. Usually it goes away with a bit of rest, but it's just that my training sessions have been 100% effort.
Original post by Tom_Ford
Pain in the lower back just above the flutes when i bend over to pick up weights. I try to keep a straight back when practicing my form but it's been hurting an aching pain. Usually it goes away with a bit of rest, but it's just that my training sessions have been 100% effort.

Could be quadratus lumborum. I'm not a medic but i'd keep it mobile and go for the heat treatment route. Hot baths, heat lamp if you have one, foam roll, stretches. Skip or do your back weight bearing stuff at 20% and see how it goes.

Don't be hesitant in going to your GP or Physio. If you ignore pain you're in for problems you really don't want, you could be saying bye to all that work faster than you think, trust me, I learnt the hard way.
(edited 9 years ago)
Stretch glutes, hamstrings and hip flexors

Posted from TSR Mobile
Take a few days off, foam roll, stretch, make sure you're not rounding your back during lifts. If it persists consult a physio /doctor.
Reply 13
Original post by Pegasus2
Could be quadratus lumborum. I'm not a medic but i'd keep it mobile and go for the heat treatment route. Hot baths, heat lamp if you have one, foam roll, stretches. Skip or do your back weight bearing stuff at 20% and see how it goes.

Don't be hesitant in going to your GP or Physio. If you ignore pain you're in for problems you really don't want, you could be saying bye to all that work faster than you think, trust me, I learnt the hard way.

Yeah, I will take some time off and contact my physio. My past rotator cuff injury has taught me that it is best to get injuries sorted out asap without further injury.
I just took a week off when I had lower back pain. It never returned again. It may well just be a case of you ****ed up one rep of hundreds and you haven't taken the time to let the tweak recover.
Reply 15
Original post by Genocidal
I just took a week off when I had lower back pain. It never returned again. It may well just be a case of you ****ed up one rep of hundreds and you haven't taken the time to let the tweak recover.

It hurt to sit up in bed this morning. Pains gone now, but that was concerning. I am not going to let myself get into a long layoff with something that most likely can be recovered relatively quickly with good physiotherapy care. Last night it hurt at times to bend over to pick stuff up. Last time it was worse and I recovered after a few days. But, since it is reoccuring I fear my luck may run out one day soon. I've been down that road before of working through pain... it's a losing game. I have worked hard to get to where I am and I am not going to throw it all away.

One week is nothing. Months however, as I have encountered before, is just agony. Loss of gains, crushing the soul, frustration, depression.

I think for a start my routine is too risky with it being 6 days a week. 6 days a week means more chance of injury because of less rest time and more exercises. It is optimal for a natural because imo after research high frequency + low volume works best for me, as a natural. However, if that is killing recovery time and making an injury worse / creating a muscular imbalance (which I think can be solved by a regular deadlift routine) ... then I have reason to change things around.

Quick Reply

Latest