The Student Room Group

Is Dating A Hipster A Bad Idea?

I like a hipster guy I know right now, but, though he's cute, I'm not sure if I should ask him out or not.

We share many interests, which is good, and he's really keen about some of them too, but sometimes he sees so ironic and cynical I can't stand him even as a friend. He can also be a tad passive aggressive. He'll make remarks that sound like he thinks life is hopeless, and he doesn't seem like he could love someone very easily, because he often seems to look down on people for loving others and keeps making weird remarks about love.

For example, he'll often make comments about and "observe" random strangers he sees in public. It's like he can't just relax and be himself sometimes and stop being so judgy and analytical. And I feel like whenever I'm positive around him (I am a positive person) he's being judgy too, because of the cynical things I've heard him say about others. He is often smiley and stuff back, but I get the impression he's being a bit fake and acting like that just "for the sake of it," if you see what I mean.

I can't change the fact he's a hipster, thoughts? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

No, he thinks he's a special snowflake with deep seated issues. You don't want to become one of them, he'll have you listening to Insane Clown Posse

Point him to tumblr where he can find the rest of his sad kind.
Reply 2
Original post by somemightsay888
No, he thinks he's a special snowflake with deep seated issues. You don't want to become one of them, he'll have you listening to Insane Clown Posse

Point him to tumblr where he can find the rest of his sad kind.

:rofl: He's actually already on Tumblr. His latest post is of two random strangers kissing in a shopping centre (he didn't even ask permission to take the pic from what I can tell :eek:)

Are you serious about the issues part btw? I'll give him the special snowflake thing lol.

Yeah that's the thing, I don't want to end up being as hipstery as him :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Morrisseya
:rofl: He's actually already on Tumblr. His latest post is of two random strangers kissing in a shopping centre (he didn't even ask permission to take the pic from what I can tell :eek:)

Are you serious about the issues part btw? I'll give him the special snowflake thing lol.

Just go as far away as you can unless you want to become a hatefilled, creepy, unlikable hipster. If he's already on Tumblr he's past the point of no return.

Don't go full retard and pursue.

The Smiths are way too mainstream for the hipsters of today :rofl: (The guy in question hates them)

But that's the premise of being a hipster; to evoke a large cadence of dissenting voices for "mainstream" things, insofar as they can dissent enough to make it "special" everything hipsters like are mainstream.
Reply 5
Original post by somemightsay888
Just go as far away as you can unless you want to become a hatefilled, creepy, unlikable hipster. If he's already on Tumblr he's past the point of no return.

Don't go full retard and pursue.

Great advice, thanks :yep:

Lol @ "point of return" :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
But that's the premise of being a hipster; to evoke a large cadence of dissenting voices for "mainstream" things, insofar as they can dissent enough to make it "special" everything hipsters like are mainstream.

Yeah, he hates a lot of stuff :biggrin:
I expect more from you, Morrisseya. :rofl:

But ideally, trust your own instincts. Do you think he's a nice guy? Will he treat you with respect and value your opinion? And most importantly, will he act like a self-entitled prick who he feels he's destined for something great, when ever he's around you?

LOL.
We all know those darn hipsters don't do dating, too mainstream they say, still I blame darn Obama care and shizz

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by High Stakes

But ideally, trust your own instincts. Do you think he's a nice guy? Will he treat you with respect and value your opinion? And most importantly, will he act like a self-entitled prick who he feels he's destined for something great, when ever he's around you?

LOL.

Lmfao, thanks for reminding me to keep up my standards :tongue:

I wouldn't say that he's arrogant, and he is usually fairly polite (despite being "different" in the hipster way and sticking out a bit socially to my other friends; he does stuff like eat chocolate and honey covered insects, and takes drugs occasionally). We have some major interests in common (not the weird ones :tongue:) which is a plus.

Having said that, he seems a bit... weird and cynical... regarding stuff like life or love. He keeps saying morbid stuff about death, and doesn't seem to be the kind of guy who'd commit to a girl in the way I want to be committed to, because he seems to prefer sitting on the sidelines and judging and being "ironic" in the hipster way (if you see what I mean). Also, he flirts with a lot of other girls (some of whom are taken) and while I'm hardly insecure about how I look it's not something I'd like to have to deal with. He's definitely not a prick, but he just seems so detached from life sometimes. My instincts tell me he's not what I'd want, even if in principle he's a perfectly "nice guy".

The attachment doesn't work, what was it? :ninja:

Yeah dude
We all know those darn hipsters don't do dating, too mainstream they say, still I blame darn Obama care and shizz

Maybe he'd take me out on a date that involved eating his precious chocolate spiders and honey dipped ants :eek:

Are you American btw?
(edited 9 years ago)
What do you mean by hipster?

LOL.

What's wrong with believing your destined for greatness?

I wouldn't say that he's arrogant, and he is usually fairly polite (despite being "different" in the hipster way and sticking out a bit socially to my other friends; he does stuff like eat chocolate and honey covered insects, and takes drugs occasionally). We have some major interests in common (not the weird ones :tongue:) which is a plus.

Having said that, he seems a bit... weird and cynical... regarding stuff like life or love. He keeps saying morbid stuff about death, and doesn't seem to be the kind of guy who'd commit to a girl in the way I want to be committed to, because he seems to prefer sitting on the sidelines and judging and being "ironic" in the hipster way (if you see what I mean). Also, he flirts with a lot of other girls (some of whom are taken) and while I'm hardly insecure about how I look it's not something I'd like to have to deal with. He's definitely not a prick, but he just seems so detached from life sometimes. My instincts tell me he's not what I'd want, even if in principle he's a perfectly "nice guy".

It was just some funny picture of a hipster, doing hipster stuff. :rofl: So I guess this time for reflection has given you the answer. Plus who likes people who just judge and sit on the sidelines, complaining about their life lol. All I can think of is #FirstWorldProblem. Plus I can't imagine something intimate or romantic with a hipster, they'd probably think it was too mainstream and start talking about death.
Original post by Rakas21
What do you mean by hipster?

What's wrong with believing your destined for greatness?

Into really, really obscure music (plays it in Birmingham on a regular basis too), has strange hobbies like eating chocolate insects, dresses like a total hipster (flannel shirts, skinny jeans, glasses, beard, beanie, scarf, the works), has hipster friends and won't admit to being a hipster. :lol: I don't necessarily hate hipsters, but obviously I'm quite conformist so want someone who will appreciate that. Also, someone who is able to love someone else without analysing it to death and being all ironic and "judgy" like he is about other people sometimes.

I don't think he thinks he's "destined for greatness" TBF.

Maybe he'd take me out on a date that involved eating his precious chocolate spiders and honey dipped ants :eek:

Are you American btw?

Yes I am.
Just remember this. If he has a beard and glasses, it's worth it, I'm a dude, I don't know what kinda dudes chicks like, but surely a guy with a beard and a handlebar moustache is automatic 1000/10? When In doubt, beard it out

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was just some funny picture of a hipster, doing hipster stuff. :rofl: So I guess this time for reflection has given you the answer. Plus who likes people who just judge and sit on the sidelines, complaining about their life lol. All I can think of is #FirstWorldProblem. Plus I can't imagine something intimate or romantic with a hipster, they'd probably think it was too mainstream and start talking about death.

I really wanna see it, shame attachments don't work in this forum :angry: Post it on my other thread about the "lumbersexuals" :tongue:

Yeah, deep down I know he's not for me at all... can't stop thinking about him though. Physically, he's a lot different from my usual type but also quite cute in the indie way which doesn't help matters :lol:
Original post by Yeah dude
Yes I am.
Just remember this. If he has a beard and glasses, it's worth it, I'm a dude, I don't know what kinda dudes chicks like, but surely a guy with a beard and a handlebar moustache is automatic 1000/10? When In doubt, beard it out

Well, he had a beard. He shaved it off last week because he thought the whole "lumbersexual" trend was too mainstream :lol:

Lmao @ your post though dude, 'tis hilarious :tongue:
Well, he had a beard. He shaved it off last week because he thought the whole "lumbersexual" trend was too mainstream :lol:

Lmao @ your post though dude, 'tis hilarious :tongue:

Do you ski by any chance? off topic I know however I seem to have stumbled across thou profile pic that seems to contain a humanoid skiing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you ski by any chance? off topic I know however I seem to have stumbled across thou profile pic that seems to contain a humanoid skiing.

Sorry, that's just one of the generic TSR profile pictures :s-smilie: I do play other sports but haven't been skiing yet.
Sorry, that's just one of the generic TSR profile pictures :s-smilie: I do play other sports but haven't been skiing yet.

And thus, the search for a skier continues :lol: now I'll get my ass kicked for going off topic, that's how the script goes dudes and dudettes. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
And thus, the search for a skier continues :lol: now I'll get my ass kicked for going off topic, that's how the script goes dudes and dudettes. :frown:

It's fine, I'm not reporting a convo I took part in :rofl: So what was that about hipster guys again? We're totally on topic :ninja:

Try skiing forums if you want to meet a person who skis? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending