The Student Room Group

Being lonely at 17

Right, so I'm not some complete loner that chooses to be alone or doesn't want to talk to people. I used to have a massive group of friends as well as a boyfriend, but all of that has just disappeared. I know when I get to uni things will pick up, but until then I'm not sure what to do, I can't stand being lonely, so what should I do?
Original post by bronwencerimarsh
Right, so I'm not some complete loner that chooses to be alone or doesn't want to talk to people. I used to have a massive group of friends as well as a boyfriend, but all of that has just disappeared. I know when I get to uni things will pick up, but until then I'm not sure what to do, I can't stand being lonely, so what should I do?

Why did that all disappear? you could try taking a hobby up or joining a club?
Reply 2
join a club which interests you
Reply 3
Yeah what happened? Long term friends usually dont just up and out without a good reason.

As for what to do, the above suggestions are good. Find a new social circle and work your way in. Go to some parties, meet some people, the usual advice.
Definitely join clubs! I recommend athletics because you get fit, too, and you can compete and have goals!
Original post by smeehan98
Yeah what happened? Long term friends usually dont just up and out without a good reason.

As for what to do, the above suggestions are good. Find a new social circle and work your way in. Go to some parties, meet some people, the usual advice.

When I started sixth form most of is went separate ways to different schools or social groups. I still had my boyfriend at the time but I broke up with him a few months ago, and because we were in the same friendship group things just broke down and they stayed friends with him. It was a very very bad relationship and break up and ended up hitting hard for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel the same. At least you've had a relationship. I've never had a girlfriend and I'm 17. All my friends at sixth form have girlfriends and I'm just sitting there like "Yay, I have food!"
Reply 7

No need for friends when you have the water. Get in your kayak and the waves will keep you company :smile:
Reply 8
When I started sixth form most of is went separate ways to different schools or social groups. I still had my boyfriend at the time but I broke up with him a few months ago, and because we were in the same friendship group things just broke down and they stayed friends with him. It was a very very bad relationship and break up and ended up hitting hard for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ouch. That sounds pretty rough. Nothing I've got to really compare to that.

As cliche as it sounds, getting out there and finding people is gonna be the easiest way of replacing your circle. Clubs, parties etc are the way to go.

If you all got split up for 6th Form, then that means new people are at your school too, right? Or you're one of the new people yourself? Try meeting the guys you haven't got many previous links to, who won't identify you with who you used to hang out with?
Ouch. That sounds pretty rough. Nothing I've got to really compare to that.

As cliche as it sounds, getting out there and finding people is gonna be the easiest way of replacing your circle. Clubs, parties etc are the way to go.

If you all got split up for 6th Form, then that means new people are at your school too, right? Or you're one of the new people yourself? Try meeting the guys you haven't got many previous links to, who won't identify you with who you used to hang out with?

Yeah it's rough, but need something to pass the time with before I move away. I've been talking to a few people in my classes and getting better friendships, but never talk outside sixth form.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah it's rough, but need something to pass the time with before I move away. I've been talking to a few people in my classes and getting better friendships, but never talk outside sixth form.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, one option might be to play "organiser" and set up some meet-ups. If you're more of a follower or dont like going to that sort of effort just hope someone organises something for you.

Besides that the only idea I really have is meeting people via activities outside of school.

Sos, I'm not exactly the most sociable guy on the planet. Most of this advice is just what makes sense in my head.
Well, one option might be to play "organiser" and set up some meet-ups. If you're more of a follower or dont like going to that sort of effort just hope someone organises something for you.

Besides that the only idea I really have is meeting people via activities outside of school.

Sos, I'm not exactly the most sociable guy on the planet. Most of this advice is just what makes sense in my head.

Yeah I'll give it a go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol wish I could convince myself to just do things as easily as you!
Lol wish I could convince myself to just do things as easily as you!

It's seriously not going to be easy but I don't want to be miserable for 10 months!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm almost finishing uni and I can assure you this is not the greatest place to make friends for life. All the people I've met have been temporary buddies - a quick chat or a pint after classes, a few gathering round uni events and that was it.
Original post by rri14
I'm almost finishing uni and I can assure you this is not the greatest place to make friends for life. All the people I've met have been temporary buddies - a quick chat or a pint after classes, a few gathering round uni events and that was it.

Yep this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually friends do just leave unlike what the other guy said. They fade away after high school if they weren't the right type of friends or they don't have a strong mind to realise who is a good friend. You should get a job (although that is also a hard thing, even i have had over 33 jobs and it takes a while and is also soul destroying in getting rejections as well as looking out for the dodgy charity jobs)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending