The Student Room Group

17 year old, joined the gym for the first time and wanting to bulk?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JakeyWV
No I weigh 170lbs and for optimal growth 1.5g protein per LB of weight is recommended for serious growth which would result in 255g protein.

You wanna try get big eating 160g protein then you better weight 106lbs otherwise you're wasting just as much money lol.

I'm not even going to waste my time on this thread as people thinking you can benefit from 3 85g protein meals a day

I eat closer to 160g than 250g at the moment and I make decent gains.

You're 170lbs, if you're eating optimal protein for serious growth, how come you aren't big yet?
Original post by JakeyWV
No I weigh 170lbs and for optimal growth 1.5g protein per LB of weight is recommended for serious growth which would result in 255g protein.

You wanna try get big eating 160g protein then you better weight 106lbs otherwise you're wasting just as much money lol.

I'm not even going to waste my time on this thread as people thinking you can benefit from 3 85g protein meals a day

fitness industry loves you

Dear God you know nothing.
Original post by illusionz

Dear God you know nothing.

He said back in July he's using steroids, yet mid November he is 170lbs :confused: Unless he's like 5% bodyfat :dontknow:
Original post by krs122
Ok, it's been a couple of weeks since I joined the gym. I've gone 3/4 times a week and tbh I enjoy it. I sort of want to bulk and be more toned and i'm 5'10 and not that heavy. I've just got a few questions:

1) I do about a 10 minute - 20 minute run on the treadmill before every session, should I continue to do so?
2) I use a variety of machines but do not use much as the weights which I probably should. But i'm not sure what to do and how many reps/sets? Like what are the best and most useful free weight workouts and how many sets should I do on the appropriate one?
3) For my diet like what is reccomended to eat daily and I usually have 3 meals a day. Is a protein shake really worth it and what are the best ones?

Don't tell me to read the stickies, they're really long and I can't read.

Fixed that for you.
Ok lets break this down

Original post by JakeyWV
On a serious note bro if you wanna bulk you just gotta eat,eat,eat,workout and sleep.

Treadmill whilst wanting to bulk? For real? Cardio on bulking not once srs.

Why not? Your hearts a muscle too

Now onto the subject of machines, why would you use these instead of free weights i.e dumbbells,barbells,olympic bars etc. Machine work doesn't break down muscle fibres the same as using free weights buddy, e.g 10 reps on 60kg Bench Press will fatigue your muscles into hypertrophy much quicker than if you were to use a chest press machine for 10 reps on 60kg resistance. The aim of lifting if you want to get big is to train like a fu**in animal and eat like a king.

That's because of no stabilisation muscles are included in machine work. Whilst I don't mean to say that machines have a place (they don't really), to say machines don't break down muscle fibres the same way as free weights is daft tbh.

Post your stats and ill tell you exactly what you need, but seriously 3 meals a day isn't going to get anyone big mate.

He needs a beginner routine like ICF5x5 and 3 decent meals a day

And it gets loads of guys big

A daily meal plan for me is as so:

6am Breakfast - 4x Weetabix no sugar, splash of milk to get them a little moisturized and 2 boiled eggs.

9am Breakfast 2 - 1x Wholegrain sandwich with 1x tin of tuna & cottage cheese.

Between 10am-11am ill normally eat 2x Bananas and have a protein shake.

12pm Dinner time - 150g Wholegrain Pasta and either a whole pack of fresh chicken breast ready to eat or 300g freshly cooked chicken chunks.

2pm - 1x Small 580ml Bottle of green lid milk.

4pm- Double scoop of oats and protein shake.

6pm- Pasta/Rice/Noodles and Chicken with Veg.

Post workout - 1x Shake, Tuna and Fruit.

Sleep.

My shakes are about 300-400 calories due to the oats with them aswell, i could clean up this diet easily but as for now as im not bothered about slight fat gain this is sufficient for me.

Ain't nobody got time for that

Original post by JakeyWV
Combining all those into one meal defeats the object of eating small meals per day.

Think logically your body can only put to use so much in one sitting, if I consume 250g of protein. And split it into 3 meals a day you're looking at 83.333333333g of protein per meal, FAR to much in one sitting as our body will utilise upto around 40g I think it is and the rest shall be put waste, unless of course you're on AAS then your protein synthesis rate increase dramatically allowing you to feed yourself more and more but this guy is just starting so were not on about the recreational use of AAS.

Nobody needs 250g unless you're somewhat elite in terms of lifting and bloody huge, like 220lbs lean

If you wish to put all of that into 3 meals a day then be my guest is wasting your time and effort to get gains. Your body is like a small fire inside it requires more fuel and supplies to keep your metabolism and blood levels stable to correctly feed your already fatigued muscles.

Meal timing has been time and again disproven as having any role in body composition

Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Probably don't even eat that much at the moment to be fair, need to eat more in general. Depending which scale I believe (mine or my GF's) I weigh between 230-240lbs, wouldn't even say 250 is all that much, all things considered, maybe slightly 'too much', but far from overkill. I take the approach that I would rather eat slightly too much than not enough, for the sake of saving a few pennies.

Fair enough, it's not horrendous, but again I'm only trying to save your bank balance mate :tongue:

Out of interest, have you seen any studies that looked long term at protein intake and muscle growth, strength increase and performance? I haven't looked at many but from cliffs of ones I have seen they all seem to be short experiments, 1-2 weeks, which isn't really going to show any increase in anything.

Aye, atheltic performance is 0.8g/lbs of bw, however 1.5g per kilo is probably excessive for your average gym goer

There's some studies (Talk to IOE about this) that have shown that something like 70g is enough, as it's enough for kids who put on more muscle during their growth phases than you can achieve as an adult lifting.

Original post by JakeyWV

Not one scientific paper has shown that amount of protein is necessary, thats ridiculous

Explain why I've put 20kg on my bench in 2 months weight just over 80kg and eating ~100g of protein a day?

Original post by illusionz

Yup

Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
He said back in July he's using steroids, yet mid November he is 170lbs :confused: Unless he's like 5% bodyfat :dontknow:

linky to this?
It's hard, but simple.

Find out your calorie maintenance, then eat about 500 calories more than that, maybe 1,000 if you need to.
That'll take care of your macros for now.

I eat 4,000 when I only need 2,300 to maintain but #EctomorphProbz

Train 4 times a week, 5 if you split the muscle groups right assuming you have the time.

You wanna train each muscle group 2x week, I would recommended chest, bicep and triceps on one day.. Back, shoulders and legs on the other.

For specific advice on how to do each exercise correctly and how many reps sets etc... Just research and have a look on YouTube. Hodgetwins, Elliot Hulse and PhysiquesOfGreatness are the best advice you'll get.

I've learnt all I know from them and I've went from 108lb 7.6%BF to 122lb 10%BF...

So a good 8-9ish pounds of muscle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JohnPaul_
It's hard, but simple.

Find out your calorie maintenance, then eat about 500 calories more than that, maybe 1,000 if you need to.

Your maintenance is not 2300 if you have to eat 4,000 to gain weight.

Train 4 times a week, 5 if you split the muscle groups right assuming you have the time.

What about full body 3x a week

You wanna train each muscle group 2x week,

Agreed

I would recommended chest, bicep and triceps on one day.. Back, shoulders and legs on the other.

Disagreed

For specific advice on how to do each exercise correctly and how many reps sets etc... Just research and have a look on YouTube. Hodgetwins,

They're amusing but their info isn't great

Elliot Hulse

He used to be the best guy out there and then fame got him, his bioenergetics, breath into your balls bs has destroyed his credibility

and PhysiquesOfGreatness are the best advice you'll get.

Bro of peace

I've learnt all I know from them and I've went from 108lb 7.6%BF to 122lb 10%BF...

You're 55kg

Unless you're like 5ft tall that is incredibly light

If OP was looking for routine ICF5x5 or SL or similar would be ideal. youtuber wise JuggernautfitnessTV, Candito (his older vids on form) and Omar Isuf is where you want to go as a beginner.

Oh my
Reply 28
really 17 is abit too young to start with weights and you should be focusing on running, pushups, situps, pullups, chinups, calisthenics and other hardwork and sports etc.

it is best to only start lifting free weights once you are near fully naturally grown, atleast 20 imo. most men haven't fully developed once about 25.

you want to get as good level of fitness as possible and then you can build far stronger muscle far more easily.

you will be suprised at how much muscle you can build from never even touching free weights.

when i was late teens i just ran everyday and 3 times a day i did atleast 3 sets of 40 tricep pushups, 3 sets of 40 deltoid pushups, 3 sets of 40 pectoral pushups, 3 sets of 80+ incline situps, 3 sets of 40 pull ups, 3 sets of 40 chinups morning, midday and evening.
and then when it gets really easy you can start doing one handed pushups and one handed chinups and one handed pull ups and hand stand pushups etc

occasionally would go in gym and would be far stronger and bigger than any young guy in there who went as much as he could.

good to mix it in with abit of free weights and weight resistance machines on occasion, mainly for biceps and legs, but it's not something you should focus on at such young age if you want to develop real strength and power.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tibis
really 17 is abit too young to start with weights and you should be focusing on running, pushups, situps, pullups, chinups, calisthenics and other hardwork and sports etc.

it is best to only start lifting free weights once you are near fully naturally grown, atleast 20 imo. most men haven't fully developed once about 25.

Why?

Ignoring the rest of that

good to mix it in with abit of free weights and weight resistance machines on occasion, mainly for biceps and legs, but it's not something you should focus on at such young age if you want to develop real strength and power.

why biceps and legs in particular?
Original post by Angry cucumber

Agreed

Disagreed

He used to be the best guy out there and then fame got him, his bioenergetics, breath into your balls bs has destroyed his credibility

Bro of peace

You're 55kg

If OP was looking for routine ICF5x5 or SL or similar would be ideal. youtuber wise JuggernautfitnessTV, Candito (his older vids on form) and Omar Isuf is where you want to go as a beginner.

Oh my

It must be because I don't lose weight when I eat 2,300.

3x full body or 4x split is just personal preference. I don't say one is right and one is wrong.

Again, this is personal preference, but it makes sense to me. Triceps are worked with chest, may as well do your bicep too. Back and shoulders are unconnected (relatively) unlike chest and shoulders where you will exhaust your upper body, thus not get a great session in. For me anyway...

I would say for beginners they're info is good. They answer a lot of questions that beginners will ask.

I agree now, I didn't say all his stuff is perfect but he is very helpful, especially his older stuff.

And POG is just again, some of his advice works for me. Personal preference again.

Might seem light but I'm 5,6. I don't look terribly skinny, only been training a year. I was focusing more on the progress.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Why?

Ignoring the rest of that

why biceps and legs in particular?

personally i see it as to do with natural progression and attitude toward fitness and i see so many not very fit people try to build muscle when they get so worn out doing intense workouts.

but also as i was taught to lift by a coworker who was an ironman competitor and personal trainer who i worked with at leisure centres and who was one of the most ripped and strong people i've ever known who told me that your muscle strength will be held back by your level of cardiovascular fitness and i've always followed his methodology.

not sure how much truth there is to that as i've never studied fitness but i see with muscle building that many people focus so much on how much they can lift afew times with terrible technique like sort of ego thing rather than getting all they can out of lighter weights.

they don't develop their muscles properly from not using slow and proper technique and working the muscle all the way through.
instead they just get flabby, bloated, ineffective muslces which quickly waste away once they stop and they are generally weak and quickly tire when doing intense workouts and really working their muscles.

the amount of people i see in gyms with abit of muscle and using huge weights with terrible technique and i have them trembling by giving them something even 30% lighter and making them do repetitions with proper technique.

it's just my opinion but i think it's much better to slowly work your way up through the weights and do endurance sets with all the different grips until that weight feels near weightless along with some power lifting rather than just doing almost nothing but power lifting.

biceps and legs in particular as there isn't many weight free excercises you can do which gives them a good workout.

also i see alot of men in gyms who have a little bit of muscle on their arms and chest yet have chicken legs and don't even bother doing any leg excercises.
(edited 9 years ago)
It must be because I don't lose weight when I eat 2,300.

Then you'll gain a lb of weight a week eating 2,800 calories by that

3x full body or 4x split is just personal preference. I don't say one is right and one is wrong.

Again, this is personal preference, but it makes sense to me. Triceps are worked with chest, may as well do your bicep too. Back and shoulders are unconnected (relatively) unlike chest and shoulders where you will exhaust your upper body, thus not get a great session in. For me anyway...

It's not the worst split out there, but rep ranges etc for a noob are usually daft. A set beginners programme with results for thousands is better than a cobble together imo.

I would say for beginners they're info is good. They answer a lot of questions that beginners will ask.

Yeah they answer it in a non-scientific, broscience fashion most of the time

And POG is just again, some of his advice works for me. Personal preference again.

His advice makes people fat and then miserable on the bulk, cuts he goes on and advises

Might seem light but I'm 5,6. I don't look terribly skinny, only been training a year. I was focusing more on the progress.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough, you're still very light. I'm 4 inches taller and 30 odd kilos heavier...

Original post by tibis
personally i see it as to do with natural progression and attitude toward fitness and i see so many not very fit people try to build muscle when they get so worn out doing intense workouts.

Nothing stopping doing cardio and weights

but also as i was taught to lift by a coworker who was an ironman competitor and personal trainer who i worked with at leisure centres and who was one of the most ripped and strong people i've ever known who told me that your muscle strength will be held back by your level of cardiovascular fitness and i've always followed his methodology.

Not really, the strongmen in this world aren't cardio fit yet are arguably the strongest on earth..

not sure how much truth there is to that as i've never studied fitness but i see with muscle building that many people focus so much on how much they can lift afew times with terrible technique like sort of ego thing rather than getting all they can out of lighter weights.

There's ego in any sport though

they don't develop their muscles properly from not using slow and proper technique and working the muscle all the way through.
instead they just get flabby, bloated, ineffective muslces which quickly waste away once they stop and they are generally weak and quickly tire when doing intense workouts and really working their muscles.

What? You cannot build flabby, bloated muscle? Muscle is muscle no matter how you put it. Slowness shouldn't come into it. The faster you move something, the more muscle fibres you recruit -> more stimulation. Proper technique should come into any exercise you partake in.

the amount of people i see in gyms with abit of muscle and using huge weights with terrible technique and i have them trembling by giving them something even 30% lighter and making them do repetitions with proper technique.

So because a select few ego lift a 17 year old shouldn't lift.

it's just my opinion but i think it's much better to slowly work your way up through the weights and do endurance sets with all the different grips until that weight feels near weightless along with some power lifting rather than just doing almost nothing but power lifting.

Some technique work for a week or so + a month of flexibility work is enough for just about anyone. Working your way up slowly is a recipe of making no progress

biceps and legs in particular as there isn't many weight free excercises you can do which gives them a good workout.

Chin ups and pistol squats

And I just don't get why you'd do leg exercises and nothing else? Free weights are going to give you more stimulation after starting bw stuff... so again I don't see the point.

also i see alot of men in gyms who have a little bit of muscle on their arms and chest yet have chicken legs and don't even bother doing any leg excercises.

So all in all - a 17 year old shouldn't lift as some people ego lift... that is the basis of everything you've said... I don't get it

Powerlifting will build solid muscle - source most people
Reply 33

i didn't mean to say a 17 year old shouldn't lift, i jut meant for a 17 year old to build strength it isn't necessary to start by using weights and i think that it's a better approach to first build strength without using weights.

i don't agree that muscle strength is simply muscle strength. i was younger and had the strength to easily keep up with the workouts of men who focused on powerlifting yet they did not have the strength to follow my workouts with lighter weights.
i can now lift heavier than them and they have barely progressed at all. maybe it is just genes, but i'd bet that they can't pass their plateaus as they need to go back as they didn't use the same slow, precise, focused techniques for long endurance sessions and it resulted in a overall weak body.

again, i've never studied the science of fitness and just giving my opinion but i find most people who do study fitness are usually relatively weak and don't have much to show for what they preach.
i just know what has worked for me. i started lifting weights regularly when i was about 18/19 because i could no longer get a burn without using weights.

i've never given a second thought to diet, never counted calories, never used any silly gimmicky protein shake nonsense, never used steroids, am 6'2, 20 stone and long ago found it difficult to get a burn from any weights in most gyms and i got into weight lifting from the feeling of power i got from doing excercises without weights.

but yes, sorry, if teens want to lift regularly then generally it is great and i shouldn't argue with it or discourage them.

Original post by krs122
Ok, it's been a couple of weeks since I joined the gym. I've gone 3/4 times a week and tbh I enjoy it. I sort of want to bulk and be more toned and i'm 5'10 and not that heavy. I've just got a few questions:

1) I do about a 10 minute - 20 minute run on the treadmill before every session, should I continue to do so?
2) I use a variety of machines but do not use much as the weights which I probably should. But i'm not sure what to do and how many reps/sets? Like what are the best and most useful free weight workouts and how many sets should I do on the appropriate one?
3) For my diet like what is reccomended to eat daily and I usually have 3 meals a day. Is a protein shake really worth it and what are the best ones?

Any other advice will be appreciated

1. yes keep doing sessions on the treadmill, preferably run out doors but if you use a treadmill then make sure you use a steep incline where you can feel the burn on your legs first. never stop running.

2. if you haven't had someone show you how to use proper technique for weight machines and free weights then you need that first.
always mainly focus on your technique.
what matters is not how much you're lifting but keeping good posture and fluid, controlled movement and feeling the burn in the muscle which the excercise is supposed to be targetting.
the goal is not the muscle mass or strength gain or the amount of weight you can lift, those will take care of themselves, the goal is the burn. no pain no gain.

start off by using ALL the weight resistance machines in your gym and any free weight excercises you know the proper technique for.

a good way to start is by doing 2 or 3 sets of 20 on one machine with a weight which becomes difficult at about 10 reps, then work your way around doing the machines that target back, shoulders, arms, legs in groups together.
back at start do 2 or 3 sets of 15 reps with a weight which becomes difficult at about 8 reps and work your way around again.
next time round do 2 or 3 sets of 10 reps with a weight which becomes difficult at about 5 reps.
try go for 4th time with 2 or 3 sets of 8 reps and heavy as you can take.

it's important to keep it going and not slack. try to take at most only 15 second long breaks between sets and next excercise.

do sets with the barbell on the bench for chest press in the same way but do 2/3 sets with a widegrip with your hands at the ends of the barbell and elbows straight out, then 2/3 sets with middle grip with your hands at shoulder distance and elbows out, then 2/3 sets with narrow grip with your hands together and elbows in.
do it the same as with machine and other excercises - first sets of 20 reps, then when you come back heavier and sets of 15, next heavier and sets of 10 reps.

learn other free weight excercises from someone who knows proper technique or a gym instructor and mix them into your workout in a similar fashion alternating possible grips.

that is about all there is to it. after a year or so of that afew times a week you should then be using the maximum weights available in most gyms without difficulty.
as you get much stronger you find it is difficult to really get a burn from full body workouts, especially if you don't have much time, so it is better to focus on seperate muscle groups on different days.

make sure you always stretch every muscle after workout as it is very important. stretching before excercise doesn't matter, after is a must do.
read up in multiple different places on stretches so you make sure you understand the proper way of doing them.

3. eat what you like. aslong as there is some decent food in your diet then it won't really make a difference. dedication to working out hard is all that really matters.
don't waste your money on nutrient and protein shake nonsense. i mostly just ate baked potatoes with baked beans and lots of fruit the year which i gained the most muscle.
Reply 34
It's hard, but simple.

You wanna train each muscle group 2x week, I would recommended chest, bicep and triceps on one day.. Back, shoulders and legs on the other.

For specific advice on how to do each exercise correctly and how many reps sets etc... Just research and have a look on YouTube. Hodgetwins, Elliot Hulse and PhysiquesOfGreatness are the best advice you'll get.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for this mate. Advice will be taken. What kind of diet then?
Original post by krs122
Thanks for this mate. Advice will be taken. What kind of diet then?

Depends really.

What's your body type, how much do you weigh, how tall are you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Depends really.

What's your body type, how much do you weigh, how tall are you

Posted from TSR Mobile

5 10, 140 lb
Reply 37

Agreed

Disagreed

Bro of peace

You're 55kg

Oh my

Hi, instead of just critiqiuing what others say and there's nothing wrong with that but could you also answer my questions as I created this thread?
Reply 38
Original post by tibis
i didn't mean to say a 17 year old shouldn't lift, i jut meant for a 17 year old to build strength it isn't necessary to start by using weights and i think that it's a better approach to first build strength without using weights.

i don't agree that muscle strength is simply muscle strength. i was younger and had the strength to easily keep up with the workouts of men who focused on powerlifting yet they did not have the strength to follow my workouts with lighter weights.
i can now lift heavier than them and they have barely progressed at all. maybe it is just genes, but i'd bet that they can't pass their plateaus as they need to go back as they didn't use the same slow, precise, focused techniques for long endurance sessions and it resulted in a overall weak body.

again, i've never studied the science of fitness and just giving my opinion but i find most people who do study fitness are usually relatively weak and don't have much to show for what they preach.
i just know what has worked for me. i started lifting weights regularly when i was about 18/19 because i could no longer get a burn without using weights.

i've never given a second thought to diet, never counted calories, never used any silly gimmicky protein shake nonsense, never used steroids, am 6'2, 20 stone and long ago found it difficult to get a burn from any weights in most gyms and i got into weight lifting from the feeling of power i got from doing excercises without weights.

but yes, sorry, if teens want to lift regularly then generally it is great and i shouldn't argue with it or discourage them.

1. yes keep doing sessions on the treadmill, preferably run out doors but if you use a treadmill then make sure you use a steep incline where you can feel the burn on your legs first. never stop running.

2. if you haven't had someone show you how to use proper technique for weight machines and free weights then you need that first.
always mainly focus on your technique.
what matters is not how much you're lifting but keeping good posture and fluid, controlled movement and feeling the burn in the muscle which the excercise is supposed to be targetting.
the goal is not the muscle mass or strength gain or the amount of weight you can lift, those will take care of themselves, the goal is the burn. no pain no gain.

start off by using ALL the weight resistance machines in your gym and any free weight excercises you know the proper technique for.

a good way to start is by doing 2 or 3 sets of 20 on one machine with a weight which becomes difficult at about 10 reps, then work your way around doing the machines that target back, shoulders, arms, legs in groups together.
back at start do 2 or 3 sets of 15 reps with a weight which becomes difficult at about 8 reps and work your way around again.
next time round do 2 or 3 sets of 10 reps with a weight which becomes difficult at about 5 reps.
try go for 4th time with 2 or 3 sets of 8 reps and heavy as you can take.

it's important to keep it going and not slack. try to take at most only 15 second long breaks between sets and next excercise.

do sets with the barbell on the bench for chest press in the same way but do 2/3 sets with a widegrip with your hands at the ends of the barbell and elbows straight out, then 2/3 sets with middle grip with your hands at shoulder distance and elbows out, then 2/3 sets with narrow grip with your hands together and elbows in.
do it the same as with machine and other excercises - first sets of 20 reps, then when you come back heavier and sets of 15, next heavier and sets of 10 reps.

learn other free weight excercises from someone who knows proper technique or a gym instructor and mix them into your workout in a similar fashion alternating possible grips.

that is about all there is to it. after a year or so of that afew times a week you should then be using the maximum weights available in most gyms without difficulty.
as you get much stronger you find it is difficult to really get a burn from full body workouts, especially if you don't have much time, so it is better to focus on seperate muscle groups on different days.

make sure you always stretch every muscle after workout as it is very important. stretching before excercise doesn't matter, after is a must do.
read up in multiple different places on stretches so you make sure you understand the proper way of doing them.

3. eat what you like. aslong as there is some decent food in your diet then it won't really make a difference. dedication to working out hard is all that really matters.
don't waste your money on nutrient and protein shake nonsense. i mostly just ate baked potatoes with baked beans and lots of fruit the year which i gained the most muscle.

This is the most helpful reply on this thread, cheers! I've got a fair few questions if you don't mind answering.
I usually do like a full intense 10-20 minute run on the treadmill prior to the start of every session and I really feel the effects. I guess it's a bad thing to do if I do it 4 times a week and when I want to bulk. Should I stop altogher or just do it like once or twice a week?
I've started doing free weights the past week and I think I'm doing it right but I'll ask the instructor to watch me and check it out. I usually go for 12,10,8 on a particular weight and then a set of 15 on a bigger weight. I think I definatly need to do more free weights as gym time is mostly taken up by machines/run. Would there be any free weight or machines that you would reccomend me doing and would really help? I'm 5'10, 140lb.
I think I need to do more ab and leg workouts. For ab, I usally just do crunches, russian twists and plank and I really want to focus more on that, any ab workouts that would bring results? For leg, at the gym i only really use the leg press and I need to focus more on it but not sure what else to do.
How should I categorise or group what I do in the 4 days that I go to the gym. Also, I do not get much protein in my diet as I am a vegetarian and have been for a long time and hence the protein shake idea which I should have started a fair while ago.
Original post by krs122
This is the most helpful reply on this thread, cheers! I've got a fair few questions if you don't mind answering.
I usually do like a full intense 10-20 minute run on the treadmill prior to the start of every session and I really feel the effects. I guess it's a bad thing to do if I do it 4 times a week and when I want to bulk. Should I stop altogher or just do it like once or twice a week?
I've started doing free weights the past week and I think I'm doing it right but I'll ask the instructor to watch me and check it out. I usually go for 12,10,8 on a particular weight and then a set of 15 on a bigger weight. I think I definatly need to do more free weights as gym time is mostly taken up by machines/run. Would there be any free weight or machines that you would reccomend me doing and would really help? I'm 5'10, 140lb.
I think I need to do more ab and leg workouts. For ab, I usally just do crunches, russian twists and plank and I really want to focus more on that, any ab workouts that would bring results? For leg, at the gym i only really use the leg press and I need to focus more on it but not sure what else to do.
How should I categorise or group what I do in the 4 days that I go to the gym. Also, I do not get much protein in my diet as I am a vegetarian and have been for a long time and hence the protein shake idea which I should have started a fair while ago.

It is not the best advice on this thread I'm afraid.

As a beginner do a basic full body barbell routine such as starting strength, stronglifts, ICF etc Add in isolation work (curls, dips etc) if you want. The important thing is to have a routine based around the big, heavy, compound lifts: deadlift, squat, bench press, barbell rows, overhead press.

Machines are not a good idea, they only prolong the time until you make proper progress.

You don't need to have an ab workout. If you want to, feel free, but you don't need to.

Quick Reply

Latest