The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Chem eng at UCL

So I'm applying for Chem Eng this year at Bham, Aston, Nottingham, Loughborough and one more uni I still haven't decided on. I'm inclined towards UCL due to its magnificent research facilities and its link with the outside industrial world. However its requirements state that one of Chemistry/Physics is needed at A2, with the other one atleast to AS. Problem is whilst I have Chem at A2 I don't have Physics at AS but Further Maths. So should I take the risk and apply anywhere. I heard that those sort of minimal requirements aren't concrete and absolute requirements and may be willing to be lenient if so.

So the question is will I get an automatic rejection if I apply, or will they atleast consider me depite not having AS Physics. It seems like a stupid requirement if a concrete one, as Further Maths will provide you (especially mechanics modules) with a similar set of useful skills that will help someone to prevail on an engineering course.
Call them up and discuss with them. UCL is a marvellous top 5 uni.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
I did email them with citing my reasons on why I wouldn't be at a disadvantage by not doing AS Physics. However they followed their reply up with one line stating 'AS Physics is a requirement'. And that was it. As you said it is a marvellous uni, one my family would have no problems with me going there seeing as they'd frown if I wanted to go away from home. I don't want to miss the opportunity of studying there, so will be willing to risk it. However, their biochemical engineering doesn't require Physics so I may go for that if I get talked out of applying for chem eng there. Chem eng would always be a preference, but biochem eng wouldn't be a bad back up I've got to admit. But even if there was the slightest chance I could get a place, I wouldn't think twice about applying
Original post by avfcfan
I did email them with citing my reasons on why I wouldn't be at a disadvantage by not doing AS Physics. However they followed their reply up with one line stating 'AS Physics is a requirement'. And that was it. As you said it is a marvellous uni, one my family would have no problems with me going there seeing as they'd frown if I wanted to go away from home. I don't want to miss the opportunity of studying there, so will be willing to risk it. However, their biochemical engineering doesn't require Physics so I may go for that if I get talked out of applying for chem eng there. Chem eng would always be a preference, but biochem eng wouldn't be a bad back up I've got to admit. But even if there was the slightest chance I could get a place, I wouldn't think twice about applying

Worst comes to the worst, apply for another course at UCL.
Reply 4
I may have to settle for that then, but I won't make my mind up before I submit my UCAS. The way it is I see no chance at ucl for chem end but perhaps I'll await more replies/try to contact the uni directly via phone to see if there is anyway around it
Original post by avfcfan
I may have to settle for that then, but I won't make my mind up before I submit my UCAS. The way it is I see no chance at ucl for chem end but perhaps I'll await more replies/try to contact the uni directly via phone to see if there is anyway around it

Hey, if you have another choice, why not apply for both Biomed and chem eng at UCL if thats allowed?
Original post by Joseph.S
Hey, if you have another choice, why not apply for both Biomed and chem eng at UCL if thats allowed?

Why doesn't the OP apply to Manchester?
Reply 7
Original post by Joseph.S

I've been told not to apply for two different courses at the same university incase they may question if I am as passionate for the course as I'm made out to be. Besides I've only got one option left and my determination to study Chem eng is greater than my willingness to get into UCL
Reply 8
Original post by Skill Twix
Why doesn't the OP apply to Manchester?

Manchester is too far away from where I'm planning to stay (London or Birmingham). And I don't want to apply to London south bank uni
Original post by avfcfan
Manchester is too far away from where I'm planning to stay (London or Birmingham). And I don't want to apply to London south bank uni

So you've got Imperial or UCL then!
Reply 10
Imperials not even on my radar. Plus you're third a level is geography which doesn't approve of their rule òf having a relevant third a level (economics, biology, physics or fm). Has any one heard of people getting offers without having as physics/Chem?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending