The Student Room Group

Functions Need help in it

For number 6 and 7 can you explain what to do i dont need the answer just how to approach it
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bigmindedone

For the first one, you may already have come across the questions/proofs that

If, g: A ----> B, and h: B----> C

and hog is a bijection, then one of them is a surjection and the other an injection.

If so, just adapt that.
i still dont understand your method can you explain some more
Reply 3
i still dont understand your method can you explain some more

Show that it is injective and surjective. For injectivity start with asusming f(f(x))=f(f(y)) and try to show that x=y.

For surjective pick a y, and try to find an x such that f(f(x))=y.
Original post by james22
Show that it is injective and surjective. For injectivity start with asusming f(f(x))=f(f(y)) and try to show that x=y.

For surjective pick a y, and try to find an x such that f(f(x))=y.

Thanks ill try that but do u have any idea about 7
Can someone give me a guideline of how to do this question please i have no idea how to start it it seems obvious that f(x) = g(x) but can you tell me what this question wants from me

Hmm. The answer isn't immediately obvious to me. I can prove that f2(3)=3f^2(3) = 3 very fast…

Why do you say it's obvious that f=g? Certainly it's possible for f=g, but I don't see why it's the only choice.

ETA: Ah, got it. I just didn't go far enough. It's not trivial, though - there are a couple of steps to do.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Smaug123
Hmm. The answer isn't immediately obvious to me. I can prove that f2(3)=3f^2(3) = 3 very fast…

can you explain what to do
can you explain what to do

When you've explained why "it seems obvious"…
Reply 8
This was a fun one, and it is far from obvious what to do.

I started by picking an x such that f(x)=3 (you can dio this since f and g are bijections as they have inverses).

Plugging this into the idendtities given you get f(g(x))=g(3)=x and 3g(x)=x^2

Now try to calculate g(x) in 2 different ways, using each identity and then make them equal and solve (remember everything is positive so you can square root, and everything in 1-1 so if g(x)=g(y) you can say that x=y).

EDIT: Hold on, I made an error but I think this still works, give me a minutes.
(edited 9 years ago)
When you've explained why "it seems obvious"…

i meant its obvious to see that f(x) = g(x) since their multiples is a square number but i dont have any idea what to do from there
I can prove that f2(3)=3f^2(3) = 3 very fast…

How did you prove this? I can only get this result by first doing the question.
Original post by james22

How do you know they are bijections
How do you know they are bijections

They have inverses.
Original post by james22
They have inverses.

Is this question hard or am i just bad because im still lost
Is this question hard or am i just bad because im still lost

It's hard.

Do you see why they are bijections?
Original post by james22
It's hard.

Do you see why they are bijections?

You said because they have inverses but i dont see that too lol
how did you see that offhand
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by james22

My answer was wrong :frown: but I've found a better one. Completely different method.

Stupidly, I directly proved bijectiveness, rather than using inverseness :P

Spoiler

I then examine the behaviour of fi(x)=f(fi1(x)),f1(x)=f(x)f_i(x) = f(f_{i-1}(x)), f_1(x) = f(x) the iteration of f. I derive the formula fi+1(x)fi(x)=fi(x)fi1(x)\frac{f_{i+1}(x)}{f_i(x)} = \frac{f_i(x)}{f_{i-1}(x)}, from which the result follows because we have that ff is bounded both above and below, but if fi(x)>fi1(x)f_i(x) > f_{i-1}(x) then fif_i inductively increases geometrically, and in particular goes to infinity. Likewise it decreases geometrically if fi(x)<fi1(x)f_i(x) < f_{i-1}(x), so we must have fi(x)=fi1(x)f_i(x) = f_{i-1}(x).
You said because they have inverses but i dont see that too lol
how did you see that offhand

It's precisely property 1.
My answer was wrong :frown: but I've found a better one. Completely different method.

Spoiler

I then examine the behaviour of fi(x)=f(fi1(x)),f1(x)=f(x)f_i(x) = f(f_{i-1}(x)), f_1(x) = f(x) the iteration of f. I derive the formula fi+1(x)fi(x)=fi(x)fi1(x)\frac{f_{i+1}(x)}{f_i(x)} = \frac{f_i(x)}{f_{i-1}(x)}, from which the result follows because we have that ff is bounded both above and below, but if fi(x)>fi1(x)f_i(x) > f_{i-1}(x) then fif_i inductively increases geometrically, and in particular goes to infinity. Likewise it decreases geometrically if fi(x)<fi1(x)f_i(x) < f_{i-1}(x), so we must have fi(x)=fi1(x)f_i(x) = f_{i-1}(x).
Where did you derive that formula from

Spoiler

So you've basically showed that the only solution to the functional equation is the identity?

I spend ages trying to find something special about the number 3. Good solution.

Quick Reply

Latest