The Student Room Group

Can I do a Physics Foundation Course with my A-Levels?

Already posted somewhere else but hoping for a greater response!

Quick background information.

Last year, I studied at AS-Level:

Biology - D
Psychology - B
Religious Studies - C
Chemistry- E

My expectations drove me to reattempt my AS-Levels at another Sixth Form and thus I subsequently now study:

AS History
AS Biology
A2 Psychology
AS Philosophy

However, I want to study Physics at university and was wondering whether Sussex University, or any University for that matter would allow me to study a Foundation course with these A-Levels. By the end of my A-Level study I should end up with 4 A-Levels as well as 2 AS-Levels.
The reason I couldn't study Physics at A-Level is that I only have a C in GCSE maths, whereas all my other GCSE grades at B+.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
i don't see why not. this course at Birmingham http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/fd/physics-foundation.aspx#CourseDetailsTab says all u need is GCSE Maths. its an BSc with a foundation year and says that 'The Foundation Year offers a route for students who have taken the wrong combination of A levels' so i presume its for people like yourself who are unable to take physics at level. i don't see why it would be a problem at sussex or anywhere else :smile:
Original post by LuiEmmitt
i don't see why not. this course at Birmingham http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/fd/physics-foundation.aspx#CourseDetailsTab says all u need is GCSE Maths. its an BSc with a foundation year and says that 'The Foundation Year offers a route for students who have taken the wrong combination of A levels' so i presume its for people like yourself who are unable to take physics at level. i don't see why it would be a problem at sussex or anywhere else :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
Moved to physics for you :hat2:
Original post by She-Ra
Moved to physics for you :hat2:

I'm new here, wasn't quite sure which to put it in, thanks! :smile:
Original post by TheDoctorWho
I'm new here, wasn't quite sure which to put it in, thanks! :smile:

Ah, not a problem at all :smile: I think you'll get some more helpful responses in the physics forum :h: Good luck with everything!
Yes you can, I'm applying to 3 foundation courses for Physics.

I know Liverpool recommends contacting the admissions team, (a college provides the foundation year) who are really helpful. Also Loughborough accept not having Physics/Maths A levels I think, and Nottingham do too as does Sheffield and York.

Heads up though, foundation years tend to fall under three categories from what I've noticed, they are either for students who:

Have taken the wrong subjects - sometimes accepting one of the two required subjects but not both (typical offers are generally higher)

Have both Maths and Physics at A2, or have some qualifications which include some element of maths and science.

Are in diverse/uncommon circumstances eg mature student, extenuating circumstances, odd combinations etc. These places are open to discussion.

Hope this helps.

I'm new here, wasn't quite sure which to put it in, thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
The Sussex website says...

Specific entry requirements: For recent school leavers, if you are thinking of applying for the foundation year, we would normally expect that you either did not have the opportunity to take A levels in Mathematics or Physics at school, or that you have since decided on a change of direction. If you have grades in relevant subjects (ie. Mathematics and Physics) but these are simply below our requirements for first-year entry, we would recommend that you resit these rather than apply for the foundation year. For those with other A levels, we would generally expect you to offer two broadly scientific or quantitative subjects and to have evidence of competence in mathematics. For other applicants, we would expect evidence of mathematical as well as scientific aptitude - for example the Open University course Essential Mathematics (MST124) or an AS level in Mathematics. Please note: applicants for the foundation year may be asked to come to an interview and/or a mathematics assessment during an Admissions Day as part of the selection process.
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/physics/ugstudy/2015/31103#qualifications

Unfortunately I guess they mean unable to do the A levels because the 6th form doesn't offer them at all rather than unable because the school thinks you're not good enough at maths.

Could you redo the GCSE maths alongside your other AS subjects and then do AS maths along side your A2s?

The suggested OU unit or even picking up some relevant (i.e. mathsy) MOOCs would probably strengthen your application IMO

It's going to be very Maths intensive and I think they'll probably want to see *some evidence* of recent study & success in Maths on your admission.
Original post by Joinedup
The Sussex website says...

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/physics/ugstudy/2015/31103#qualifications

Unfortunately I guess they mean unable to do the A levels because the 6th form doesn't offer them at all rather than unable because the school thinks you're not good enough at maths.

Could you redo the GCSE maths alongside your other AS subjects and then do AS maths along side your A2s?

The suggested OU unit or even picking up some relevant (i.e. mathsy) MOOCs would probably strengthen your application IMO

It's going to be very Maths intensive and I think they'll probably want to see *some evidence* of recent study & success in Maths on your admission.

I wasn't aware that it was possible to redo Maths in your A2 year, but I'll certainly look into it. I was hoping that I would come under the 'change of direction' but you're completely right, to study physics at A level I would have required at least a B in GCSE maths. Thank you though!
Original post by LuiEmmitt

Thank you for the link, kind sir!
I wasn't aware that it was possible to redo Maths in your A2 year, but I'll certainly look into it. I was hoping that I would come under the 'change of direction' but you're completely right, to study physics at A level I would have required at least a B in GCSE maths. Thank you though!

It's worth asking some unis - fwiw here's a chap who flourished on a physics foundation year...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2055250

though it's obviously not essential to transfer to another uni for the main degree.
Thank you for the link, kind sir!

no problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest