The Student Room Group

Should we have roommates like they do in America?

It might be nice to share a room with someone at uni ?

Scroll to see replies

Yes it's always good to have a roomate, means you can't get lonely!
yes. also we should have those Greek Fraternity/ Sorority things.
Hell no. I need some personal space.
It should be an option I think, would mean cheaper rent too I imagine!
Should be an option at least.
Imagine not having one place to be alone...

When you want to avoid the world you can't exactly hide in your room if you had a roommate. It will be a catastrophe.

Also what if they smell... :frown:
There are Universities with twin rooms...so you'd have a roommate. But I don't think it should be the 'standard' thing over here.
Yeh I think it would be good but I think the best thing would be a shared study. It would be nice to come back to my room in halls and have someone there. Single rooms seem a bit lonely in halls at first but then again your roommate could be awful so...
I guess it could at least be an option for people who would prefer it. I do quite like sharing a dorm when staying in hostels on backpacking trips and stuff, as it's cool to get chatting to people you meet in your room. But in a place where I'm staying in longer term, my own room is more preferable tbh as it's nice to have my own private space I can go to whenever I feel like being alone, and I at least don't have to worry about anyone else's mess in my own room either. And then my student halls also has communal spaces like the kitchen and lounges that I will go to whenever I feel like chatting to people, so it's good to have that balance.
Would certainly make one-night stands a bit of a pickle.

Theoretically speaking, of course.
I shared a room in my first year after it turned out that they didn't have enough rooms for undergrads (planning :thumbdown:)

It really wasn't all that bad, my rent was halved (£6000 to £3000) for the year which meant I was way less broke than I'd anticipated, and I ended up in some of the best accommodation on campus.

My roommate was wonderful, we got on really well and it was super nice to have someone around to talk to, I never felt annoyed or like she was around too much (we had quite different schedules)

On occasions where one of us wanted to sleep before the other, we'd just go work in the kitchen, and whenever her boyfriend visited (once or twice a term), I'd just go and spend the weekend at home or staying at a friend's.

For discounted rent I would definitely do it again, any minor annoyance is more than made up for by all the money I'd save.

TLDR - nowhere near as bad as everyone thinks it is, defo worth free food and nice to have company :smile:
No, that's one of the reasons why I'm not applying to US universities. If some people like sharing rooms that's great for them but it's not for me.
Original post by soanonymous
It might be nice to share a room with someone at uni ?

NO.
Have you ever watched "The Roommate"?
You'll understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not a US only thing. They have the option for shared rooms in most unis here; in fact I'm in one as I type this.
You could have a communal area between two bedrooms . . . I wouldn't want to share an actual bedroom.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I know someone who went to Vasser in August and hates it, primarily because he's sharing with another international student who is apparently the most boring and annoying person in the world. He can't wait for the year to end and is going to try and transfer his credit to UCL and come home.
According to newspapers, on-campus sexual assaults are on the rise. Knowing this, would females really want to share a room with a male stranger?
Would be one of my worst nightmares.
Reply 19
I know someone who went to uni in america and hated having a roommate because they didn't know if they could trust them/ leave their stuff out. I guess some people would love it though, but personally I'd hate it.

Quick Reply

Latest