The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Bournemouth University Official Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by turiga28
Thank you and also will I be provided with a student discount card?i am not talking about the NUS card. My friend said universities provide students with a student discount card?

Hi turiga28

You'll receive a BU Student ID card but this isn't a discount card. You'll need to apply for an NUS Extra card to benefit from the many savings at High Street and online shops. There are other sites such as Unidays and Student Beans that often have exclusive offers and discounts for students - all you need is your BU email address.

Thanks

Sarah
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Original post by Bournemouth University
Hi turiga28

You'll receive a BU Student ID card but this isn't a discount card. You'll need to apply for an NUS Extra card to benefit from the many savings at High Street and online shops. There are other sites such as Unidays and Student Beans that often have exclusive offers and discounts for students - all you need is your BU email address.

Thanks

Sarah

Also, I am not staying on campus but will I still be able to lock my bike somewhere?Where would I be able to lock my bike within the university?because i might be cycling there
Original post by turiga28
Also, I am not staying on campus but will I still be able to lock my bike somewhere?Where would I be able to lock my bike within the university?because i might be cycling there

Hi turiga28

We have plenty on secure cycle storage on both campuses. To access the secure compounds, you'll need to take your student ID card to Poole House Reception when you arrive at BU where it will be validated for entry to the compounds.

Thanks

Sarah
Hi there:smile:

I'm hoping to begin studying Television Production in September 2016 and was wondering about Bournemouth's thoughts on EPQ..? (Extended Project Qualification). Is the university known to accept a grade dropped from the conditional offer if a successful EPQ is made, based on the subject of the course?

Thanks!
Original post by RadioBlaBla
Hi there:smile:

I'm hoping to begin studying Television Production in September 2016 and was wondering about Bournemouth's thoughts on EPQ..? (Extended Project Qualification). Is the university known to accept a grade dropped from the conditional offer if a successful EPQ is made, based on the subject of the course?

Thanks!

Hello,

We can consider EPQs, particularly those relevant to the course, but we'd need to review your application as a whole to assess whether or not it is included in the offer. I hope that answers your question and good luck with your application! Have you had a chance to visit us yet?

Katie
Hello,

We can consider EPQs, particularly those relevant to the course, but we'd need to review your application as a whole to assess whether or not it is included in the offer. I hope that answers your question and good luck with your application! Have you had a chance to visit us yet?

Katie

Thanks very much! I'm coming along to the open day tomorrow, can't wait:smile: I have not been emailed a programme for the day, however, and have no idea when it starts. Could you let me know?

Cheers
Thanks very much! I'm coming along to the open day tomorrow, can't wait:smile: I have not been emailed a programme for the day, however, and have no idea when it starts. Could you let me know?

Cheers

Hi,

Sorry, looks like this came in after we did a final check of TSR messages! Hopefully you managed to pick up a programme on the day, and sorry that your email got lost. Lots of email providers seem to think we're junk mail, so be sure to add bournemouth.ac.uk to your safe senders list!

Did you enjoy the day?

Katie
Hi,

Sorry, looks like this came in after we did a final check of TSR messages! Hopefully you managed to pick up a programme on the day, and sorry that your email got lost. Lots of email providers seem to think we're junk mail, so be sure to add bournemouth.ac.uk to your safe senders list!

Did you enjoy the day?

Katie

Nevermind, I made it in good time anyway! It was a fantastic day! So many enthusiastic and passionate tutors and students. Media Production at BU is definately my first choice.

Thanks for your reply:smile:
Nevermind, I made it in good time anyway! It was a fantastic day! So many enthusiastic and passionate tutors and students. Media Production at BU is definately my first choice.

Thanks for your reply:smile:

Brilliant! I'm so glad you had a good day. You might have seen it, but one of our students made this vlog - A day in the life of a Media Production student. Might be worth checking out!

Also, have you liked our Bournemouth Uni Undergrads 2016 Facebook page yet? We'd love to see you over there!

Katie
Haven't seen the vlog- very helpful, thanks!
Haven't seen the vlog- very helpful, thanks!

You're welcome! We've got some other student blogs and vlogs you might like too, so do have a browse!

Katie
Hi! So I'm very much considering Bournemouth to do Psychology. I do have a few queries though!

1) The entrance requirements are far lower than my predicted grades (BCC compared to A*AA). Does that mean I shouldn't apply here, or are entry requirements not the be all and end all?

2) How close to natural areas (eg beaches/forests) is the university? I have pretty bad anxiety so having areas like that around would be good. If I remember anything from my holidays there as a child there were loads of them ^^

3) How good is the psychology department in relation to other subjects? I hear media and business are top, but how good is psychology?

4) For 2nd year and onwards is there much help given to students needing housing? I'm terrified I won't be able to find a place!

5) Is it a safe place? I've been put off from a couple of my choices because they're apparently not!

6) What is your policy on guests in dorms, especially overnight? I have a girlfriend back here in Crawley who'd want to come round sometimes.

Thanks in advance!
I have applied for Computing at Bournemouth. I sent my application off last Friday (23/10) and was wondering how long it takes for Bournemouth to reply to applications. Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SkyRees
Hi! So I'm very much considering Bournemouth to do Psychology. I do have a few queries though!

1) The entrance requirements are far lower than my predicted grades (BCC compared to A*AA). Does that mean I shouldn't apply here, or are entry requirements not the be all and end all?

2) How close to natural areas (eg beaches/forests) is the university? I have pretty bad anxiety so having areas like that around would be good. If I remember anything from my holidays there as a child there were loads of them ^^

3) How good is the psychology department in relation to other subjects? I hear media and business are top, but how good is psychology?

4) For 2nd year and onwards is there much help given to students needing housing? I'm terrified I won't be able to find a place!

5) Is it a safe place? I've been put off from a couple of my choices because they're apparently not!

6) What is your policy on guests in dorms, especially overnight? I have a girlfriend back here in Crawley who'd want to come round sometimes.

Thanks in advance!

Hi SkyRees,

My name is Gemma and I am a second year student at Bournemouth University.
I study BA Television Production so I won’t be able to get tell you much about psychology but hopefully I can help with some of your other questions.

Firstly, I don’t think you should be put off about entry requirements. If the course units interest you and you think your be happy studying at Bournemouth that’s the most important thing. If you haven’t already seen, the website has all the course details as well as comments from previous students:https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/courses/bsc-hons-psychology

Secondly the university is extremely close to all natural areas. The beach is short bus ride away from the Talbot campus and within walking distance of most of the accommodation based at Lansdowne campus. The new forest is also extremely close, just 20 minutes drive away. There are also areas such as Poole and Swanage that are nearby that have beautiful natural areas to explore.

For my second year I brought a house in Winton through a private estate agents (There are alot around!) However, Bournemouth University do have their own letting service. They are able to find houses all around the area and also help local landlords find suitable tenants.

Safety wise I’ve never had an issue or heard of anyone having an issue. In the first year of halls there is 24 hour security giving you peace of mind. Winton where I live now (and a lot of second year students do) I have found to be very safe.

Policy on guests in dorm will vary depending on your accommodation but all will allow guests to stay over. The only difference is some halls may need you to sign them in as a guest.

Overall to know if you Bournemouth is right for you I recommend coming to an open day. You’ll be able to meet potential lecturers as well as see the surrounding areas. The next open day is on Saturday 21st November if you wanted to check it out :smile:

I hope this helped and if you have any more questions please ask!
Gemma :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by qasim_96
I have applied for Computing at Bournemouth. I sent my application off last Friday (23/10) and was wondering how long it takes for Bournemouth to reply to applications. Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi qasim_96,

I'm Gemma, a second year student at BU.

As a guide it usually takes them around 6-8 weeks to reply but this will vary depending on the course.

Good luck with the application and feel free to ask any questions :smile:
Original post by GemmaJewell2
Hi qasim_96,

I'm Gemma, a second year student at BU.

As a guide it usually takes them around 6-8 weeks to reply but this will vary depending on the course.

Good luck with the application and feel free to ask any questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GemmaJewell2
Hi SkyRees,

My name is Gemma and I am a second year student at Bournemouth University.
I study BA Television Production so I won’t be able to get tell you much about psychology but hopefully I can help with some of your other questions.

Firstly, I don’t think you should be put off about entry requirements. If the course units interest you and you think your be happy studying at Bournemouth that’s the most important thing. If you haven’t already seen, the website has all the course details as well as comments from previous students:https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/courses/bsc-hons-psychology

Secondly the university is extremely close to all natural areas. The beach is short bus ride away from the Talbot campus and within walking distance of most of the accommodation based at Lansdowne campus. The new forest is also extremely close, just 20 minutes drive away. There are also areas such as Poole and Swanage that are nearby that have beautiful natural areas to explore.

For my second year I brought a house in Winton through a private estate agents (There are alot around!) However, Bournemouth University do have their own letting service. They are able to find houses all around the area and also help local landlords find suitable tenants.

Safety wise I’ve never had an issue or heard of anyone having an issue. In the first year of halls there is 24 hour security giving you peace of mind. Winton where I live now (and a lot of second year students do) I have found to be very safe.

Policy on guests in dorm will vary depending on your accommodation but all will allow guests to stay over. The only difference is some halls may need you to sign them in as a guest.

Overall to know if you Bournemouth is right for you I recommend coming to an open day. You’ll be able to meet potential lecturers as well as see the surrounding areas. The next open day is on Saturday 21st November if you wanted to check it out :smile:

I hope this helped and if you have any more questions please ask!
Gemma :biggrin:

This is all really helpful, thank you! :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by SkyRees

Thanks in advance!

Hi SkyRees,

Gemma has answered all your questions very well! She's right - there's lots of lovely beach and forest around. And you're right, we're well known for Media and Business courses, but we've also got a huge range of other brilliant courses on offer. There's lots of information about Psychology on our website, so hopefully this will tell you a bit more about the course.

Do you think you'll be able to join us for an Open Day? Unis are all very different, so if you come and meet us you'll get a much better feel of whether BU is right for you.

I won't repeat what Gemma's said, but let me know if you'd like some more information about anything.

Katie
Hi SkyRees,

Gemma has answered all your questions very well! She's right - there's lots of lovely beach and forest around. And you're right, we're well known for Media and Business courses, but we've also got a huge range of other brilliant courses on offer. There's lots of information about Psychology on our website, so hopefully this will tell you a bit more about the course.

Do you think you'll be able to join us for an Open Day? Unis are all very different, so if you come and meet us you'll get a much better feel of whether BU is right for you.

I won't repeat what Gemma's said, but let me know if you'd like some more information about anything.

Katie

I was actually hoping to do Biology, but I don't have science A Levels! I'd assume there's no way I can do that without science A Levels then? So if Psychology is good here I'd definitely be interested ^^

And I'd like to go to the Open Day later this month, but I don't know how to get here/ it's pretty expensive in train fares ;-;

Thanks again for all the help :smile:
Original post by SkyRees
I was actually hoping to do Biology, but I don't have science A Levels! I'd assume there's no way I can do that without science A Levels then? So if Psychology is good here I'd definitely be interested ^^

And I'd like to go to the Open Day later this month, but I don't know how to get here/ it's pretty expensive in train fares ;-;

Thanks again for all the help :smile:

Hi SkyRees,

Oh dear, are you coming from a long way away? We'd love to meet you!

You're right, there are certain subjects you'd need to have so that you can apply for Biological Sciences. You would need to have at least one of the following subjects: biology, chemistry, maths, physics or human biology. We don't have the same requirements for Psychology, so it might be a good choice for you!

You might already have your heart set on Psychology, but I've got a couple of other suggestions for you. Sorry if this throws a spanner in the works, but I thought I'd mention them just in case you wanted to consider any other science related subjects. You might like to consider:

Anthropology
Archaeology
Archaeology and Anthropology

Let me know if you have any questions about those, or Psychology.

Katie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending