The Student Room Group

Why do people often fail contract law?

Why do people fail contract law? I see many people in different posts and also in my university have mentioned that they have failed contract.

I am in my first year of university, and contract is my second favourite (criminal is my first) I find it good, besides remembering all the cases, it is 30% cw so I do stress that I will fail the exam, as I do much better in cw than exams, mostly because when I type my mind sets free, also I am a deep thinker when I type. In exams, is different, stress because of the timing which is not flexible, only 2 hours, then I fail ahaha.

Anyways, what is hard about contract law? How do I pass it?

Scroll to see replies

There is a lot more to remember for contract law, there are loads more cases to remember.

With criminal law everything can sort of tie in together where as there are many more things to learn with contract law.

Good luck
At most universities it is extremely rare for someone to actually fail a module.

However, noticed you're studying at BPP and they do have a quite remarkable amount of fails in some modules, it was the same when I was there too. I don't really know why that is, the BPP contract law exam is totally standard, and the marking is not particularly harsh. I think it is because a lot of students there are not actually used to doing any work at all, and go into the exam knowing basically nothing. They have low A-level grades and don't realise that they need to take a step up from that to do well at degree level - even outside the 'top' universities.

If you do the work, keep up with the seminars and tutorials and contribute in class you cannot possibly fail that exam. From my own experience I can tell you that it is perfectly possible to get a First (I got 78 in the contract exam).
(edited 9 years ago)
I failed contract law in my first year. It was by far my worst module although i enjoyed it a lot more than property.

I never really went to lectures though and my tutor was pretty easy going so we just pissed around a lot
Reply 4
Original post by Forum User
At most universities it is extremely rare for someone to actually fail a module.

However, noticed you're studying at BPP and they do have a quite remarkable amount of fails in some modules, it was the same when I was there too. I don't really know why that is, the BPP contract law exam is totally standard, and the marking is not particularly harsh. I think it is because a lot of students there are not actually used to doing any work at all, and go into the exam knowing basically nothing. They have low A-level grades and don't realise that they need to take a step up from that to do well at degree level - even outside the 'top' universities.

If you do the work, keep up with the seminars and tutorials and contribute in class you cannot possibly fail that exam. From my own experience I can tell you that it is perfectly possible to get a First (I got 78 in the contract exam).

Ok, thanks for the advice. How did you get a first in the contract exam? How many hours do you study? Do you remember all the cases from contract?
I am finding it difficult in my 1st year here, regardless of doing the work everyday.
Original post by Koizora1234
Ok, thanks for the advice. How did you get a first in the contract exam? How many hours do you study? Do you remember all the cases from contract?
I am finding it difficult in my 1st year here, regardless of doing the work everyday.

I can't remember how many hours I studied for contract, I took that exam in early 2012. Probably about 8-10 hrs per week?
I don't remember all the cases that were mentioned in class, reading lists etc, now, but I did remember them all at the time of the exam.
Reply 6
Original post by Forum User
I can't remember how many hours I studied for contract, I took that exam in early 2012. Probably about 8-10 hrs per week?
I don't remember all the cases that were mentioned in class, reading lists etc, now, but I did remember them all at the time of the exam.

Thank you, its totally understandable for why you would not remember now. Also, if you can remember, what were your study techniques?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, if you can remember, what were your study techniques?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Easiest way to learn the cases is to keep using them. That means doing the seminar work where most of the cases mentioned that week will probably fit in somehow. The more you use them in legal argument the more familiar you will get with them. You will probably see that when you do the coursework (if there still is one). I guarantee that cases you use while writing your coursework will stick in your memory, because you will have actually thought about them in depth. As you go, think about whether you agree with the decisions in the cases, etc, try and read the cases to some extent (not just read a one line nonsense summary like 'acceptance cannot be by silence' - Felthouse v Bindley). If you think that the decision in case x is wrong (or right, despite academic criticism) for whatever reason, it will stick in your mind (and you will have something to use if it comes up in an essay). Read the journals etc that you have been set (and more if you can). Again helps to think about the cases in depth and that will make them more memorable.

Learning cases should never be about cramming with flashcards the day before the exam. You should already remember them way before that and without using any silly 'tricks'. Some people find that learning the facts helps a bit with remembering the names. I never ever 'crammed', or did any kind of last minute revision. I find that pretty useless personally, and also, it seems kind of a silly way to learn because a few days after the exam you won't remember anything and the purpose of a university education is to learn things, not just to pass exams.

The one 'weird' thing I did was to pretend I was giving a lecture to myself on whatever area of law. If my lecture makes sense and covers all of the relevant areas, then I know the topic.
Reply 8
It's a first year module for a lot of people so I guess that will have a higher fail rate where students think the first year doesn't matter, or just aren't used to the amount of work needed.
But I found contract pretty easy, definitely easier than Property, which had way more cases!
Why do people fail contract law? I see many people in different posts and also in my university have mentioned that they have failed contract.

I am in my first year of university, and contract is my second favourite (criminal is my first) I find it good, besides remembering all the cases, it is 30% cw so I do stress that I will fail the exam, as I do much better in cw than exams, mostly because when I type my mind sets free, also I am a deep thinker when I type. In exams, is different, stress because of the timing which is not flexible, only 2 hours, then I fail ahaha.

Anyways, what is hard about contract law? How do I pass it?

Contract is the first "proper" law subject most students study. Parts of criminal law require an ability to manipulate legal concepts but weaker students can probably get through by learning the "laundry lists" of the required elements for each crime.

If you look at the academic help pages on TSR you will see that every year most of the questions are about contract or the more metaphysical elements of trusts.
Do you by any chance go to Uni of Herts?
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

I do

Spoiler

Original post by Black Cat
I do

Spoiler

:unimpressed: bad cat.
:unimpressed: bad cat.

I just couldn't resist :tongue:
Reply 14

Spoiler

Spoiler

Ahh I see, the course structure sounds very similar.
Reply 16
Hi,

I have my first contract problem scenairo due in on january and I was wondering if someone had a good structure I could follow with how to answer the question properly and to the point?

Anyone got any suggestions with how to make a 2:1 or plus answer?
The best advice i can ever give is when answering a Contract Law question, talk every issue you can find. Also you don't need to remember every case, just the case that sets out the rule of law.
Reply 18
I got this piece of advice from a lawyer on how to address questions in contract law:

"This is a case of Contract Law. Contract law is [definition] The relevant piece of legislation is [...] The following points apply to this scenario [..] Then apply knowledge."

Hope that's helpful even though factually absent.
Also, if you can remember, what were your study techniques?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't take law but I decided to answer about study techniques to help to master tricky content quickly and effectively.

For any complex module, where the intuition isn't in lectures, I make succinct chapters of every lecture along with the background reading. And after every chapter, I try to explain the concepts out loud. Being able to explain the topics to someone else without contradicting yourself means that you've mastered the material. I do this several times over the year so I know for sure that I've mastered the material.

Quick Reply

Latest