The Student Room Group

The Problems I Faced with Applying for Medicine

I remember when I was at college, the numerous people who said that "Maybe medicine isn't for you" and "Have you maybe thought about a different career?" This absolutely infuriated me, I like many of you reading this, was absolutely determined to get into medicine. Looking back it was silly: people who didn't really have a clue about medicine were telling me that I couldn't do it, or just laughed me off.

I applied for my 4 options in medicine. During my HYMS interview, I was asked about 2 people i would take onto a desert Island. These 2 people could be dead or alive, fictional or non fictional....I was nervous and misunderstood the question, I replied I would take Ray Meers alive and Jeremy Clarkson dead......I know....the consultant burst out laughing and we swiftly moved on. People at my college laughed and told me i didn't have a hope in hell of getting into med school. By April of AS i had got 3 offers (manchester, Keele and HYMS) and rejected Liverpool before they replied.

I'm currently in my third year at Keele and absolutely love it. My message to everybody applying for medicine is to not let people demean you. By all means take on advice, but just do your own thing and stay focused on your exams and volunteer work, and brush off any ignorant comments...a medical students gave me the same advice when I was in college and I personally feel that it was this advice that powered me through college.
Enjoy your college years, work hard...and you'll love your med school years even more!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MedstudentGB
I remember when I was at college, the numerous people who said that "Maybe medicine isn't for you" and "Have you maybe thought about a different career?" This absolutely infuriated me, I like many of you reading this, was absolutely determined to get into medicine. Looking back it was silly: people who didn't really have a clue about medicine were telling me that I couldn't do it, or just laughed me off.

I applied for my 4 options in medicine. During my HYMS interview, I was asked about 2 people i would take onto a desert Island. These 2 people could be dead or alive, fictional or non fictional....I was nervous and misunderstood the question, I replied I would take Ray Meers alive and Jeremy Clarkson dead......I know....the consultant burst out laughing and we swiftly moved on. People at my college laughed and told me i didn't have a hope in hell of getting into med school. By April of AS i had got 3 offers (manchester, Keele and HYMS) and rejected Liverpool before they replied.

I'm currently in my third year at Keele and absolutely love it. My message to everybody applying for medicine is to not let people demean you. By all means take on advice, but just do your own thing and stay focused on your exams and volunteer work, and brush off any ignorant comments...a medical students gave me the same advice when I was in college and I personally feel that it was this advice that powered me through college.
Enjoy your college years, work hard...and you'll love your med school years even mor
e!
Do not let a stereotype dictate what you as an individual can achieve!

Enjoy your college years, work hard...and you'll love your med school years even more!

The bit in bold is inspiring. I am not looking into medicine but it is amazing how certain people look down on you and dictate your abilities and also brush you off saying you cant do this and that-That truly annoys me....but then later on proving them wrong is your main focus and you do so unexpectedly...
Thank You very much :smile:
Reply 4
Why was everyone putting you down? What were your grdes like??

Posted from TSR Mobile
My Grades were great Mr. Mossy, straight A's and plenty of volunteer work and experiences. One thing I have learnt is that the reason that people tend to put others down is frequently because they're unhappy themselves. A lot of stressed people and there was me....stressed but happy :smile:
Hi Nightshroud, thank you for your kind words :smile: I had a similar problem...always seemed to be doing hours and hours more than everyone else, and plenty of teary nights. don't worry. Eventually I found out during my second year of uni that I am dyslexic which explained a few of my problems. Everyone has different styles. I was one to do every exam paper imaginable going back as far as i could, and just going over and over it (I always found A levels heavily dependent on exam technique). Again, try different styles and see what works for you.

Keep your head up and keep trying to do your own thing. I always tried to keep my eye on what i was heading for (It kept me sane while trying to remember organic chemistry :smile: ). Thinking about the bigger picture kept me slightly sane, and I can't explain how medicine lived up to more than I could have ever imagined...you'll love it.

Thank you for your words of wisdom.
I'm probably in the same position maybe a little worse. All my teachers think I'm wasting my time applying but I only have one choice, Keele, and I'm determined to at least try. If I am unsuccessful then I will try again at graduate level.
I went to the keele open day. Amazing university!
Original post by cannotdecide
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
I'm probably in the same position maybe a little worse. All my teachers think I'm wasting my time applying but I only have one choice, Keele, and I'm determined to at least try. If I am unsuccessful then I will try again at graduate level.
I went to the keele open day. Amazing university!

I genuinely can't praise Keele enough for everything they've done for me! Best decision I've made. Best of Luck for your application :smile:
I genuinely can't praise Keele enough for everything they've done for me! Best decision I've made. Best of Luck for your application :smile:

Thank you! 😃
Hi Nightshroud, Keep your head up :smile: It's incredible how so many things people are saying (like yourself), and how people are feeling are very similar to how I felt during my A-levels. In my first AS mock chemistry exam I also got a 'U' ....hahaha it wasn't my best performance and i got a shouting at by my teacher. I wish you the best luck Nightshroud :smile:
Just out of interest, why did you choose Keele over Manchester? :s-smilie:
Original post by asif007
Just out of interest, why did you choose Keele over Manchester? :s-smilie:

Originally I had my heart set on manchester, but on an open day at Keele they spoke about their student support and how they really emphasise medical student wellbeing and support (they have their own team for medicine) for such a tough course....like so many students, I have used this service and can't praise them enough! I've never really cared about going to an 'older', classically 'prestigious' uni...I just really wanted to get through medicine and become a doctor. Different for everybody, but looking back, picking Keele was the best decision I made :smile:
Reply 13
My Grades were great Mr. Mossy, straight A's and plenty of volunteer work and experiences. One thing I have learnt is that the reason that people tend to put others down is frequently because they're unhappy themselves. A lot of stressed people and there was me....stressed but happy

Just out of interest, what volunteering work did you do? I am currently doing my AS in Biology, Chemsitry, Maths and History. I volunteer at a care home, and I am also doing my Gold DofE. I have done many extra curricular activities but i haven't done much volunteering work related medicine and this is making me feel insecure. Any ideas other than applying for work experience at hospitals?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello KT, Don't worry :smile: Medical schools are aware how difficult it is to get experience/volunteer in clinical settings. I helped at a care home, a hospital and a few other bits here and there. It may be worth trying to see if you can gain some experience at a GP's office. Usually, I found med schools aren't too fussed about where you've volunteered, but justifying how it has helped you is vital I personally found. For example, for my work at a care home, I discussed how I learnt about the impact on families of residents. It was brought up in 3 of my interviews about what i said and i think it really helped me.
Hope all of your studies and volunteering/experiences go well
KInd Regards
I'm not a medical student but this is really inspiring, I find it so frustrating when people put others down when they have no idea what they are talking about, and you are clearly extremely passionate about your choice which is an important part of becoming a student, especially with such a demanding subject. You shouldn't have to aim low for everyone else. Well done for getting into medicine good luck with the rest of your studies! :biggrin:
This has made me feel a lot better about applying to medical school next year. My family keep acting like I won't be able to do because it's so hard to get in, and when I told my sister that I want to go to medical school she just said outright "Don't do it", because she found it really hard... After realising I was serious though she has been offering support and all that, which is quite nice of her

Posted from TSR Mobile
Glad to hear Neurogirl. I remember thinking fairly similar when I was applying, and since being at med school and chatting to everyone, I've soon learnt how universal these worries are. The beauty about it is that regardless of how much doubt and opposition you get, I want to assure you that almost everyone else in the country doing this is in a similar boat.
Best wishes for your studies and applications, and I'm sure you'll absolutely love medical school! :smile:
Kind Regards
Original post by Blondie987
I'm not a medical student but this is really inspiring, I find it so frustrating when people put others down when they have no idea what they are talking about, and you are clearly extremely passionate about your choice which is an important part of becoming a student, especially with such a demanding subject. You shouldn't have to aim low for everyone else. Well done for getting into medicine good luck with the rest of your studies! :biggrin:

i think it's safe to say you've hit the nail on the head! Exactly how I how I felt and still feel! Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending