The Student Room Group

JD Wetherspoons \ Sports Direct

Thinking of applying for a xmas job at wetherspoons \ sports direct..

Looking for some advice, I heard a few bad things about both tbh..

How is the rota sorted out? do you get much notice? how do they notify you your shifts?

I imagine Wetherspoons will be longer unsociable hours, but will probably be a better laugh than sports direct..

Cheers!
omg.

Sports Direct.

I worked at Weatherspoons and it is horrendous!
I really don't recommend working at Wetherspoons. 9 hour shifts with no breaks. I quit after 4 days!
I work at Sports Direct myself, and what they do is they rota you in for shifts based on your availability, and any extra days you can do outside of your availability :biggrin: :redface:
The pay tends to be minimum wage, and depending on how many hours your local store has, you may find that you get quite a few shifts per week :redface: and they do the rota weekly, well that's what my store does anyway :biggrin: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Claudianicole
I really don't recommend working at Wetherspoons. 9 hour shifts with no breaks. I quit after 4 days!

9 hour shifts should get 45 minutes break with 15 mins paid and 30 mins unpaid. You should report the pub to the head office.

I currently work at a Spoons and I'm enjoying it. You find out your rota for the next week at the latest the Wednesday before the week.

You will get some long, hard shifts and unsocial hours but you should know that before you apply with it being a bar. Can't comment on Sports Direct.

Original post by JessicaLucy09
omg.

Sports Direct.

I worked at Weatherspoons and it is horrendous!

Have you worked at Sports Direct to give a fair comparison? :holmes:
Original post by Bongo21
Thinking of applying for a xmas job at wetherspoons \ sports direct..

Looking for some advice, I heard a few bad things about both tbh..

How is the rota sorted out? do you get much notice? how do they notify you your shifts?

I imagine Wetherspoons will be longer unsociable hours, but will probably be a better laugh than sports direct..

Cheers!

I worked at Wetherspoon and quit 3 months later. I really do NOT recommend you applying to places that has zero hour contracts. The number of shfits you get at Wetherspoons depend entirely on the sales revenue and how busy it is. I was told at interview I would get 16 hours minimum...I started on 30 hours and over time this decreased to a measely 1 x 5 hour shift on a Friday/Saturday night. The pub just wasn't making enough money! Even the 'full time' hourly staff ended up on 20 hours maximum.

At mine, the managers/team leaders were on contractual monthly pay so would work additional and LONG hours to support the business (no extra pay!) so they wouldn't need to pay as many hourly rate staff. They would also send some of us home after maybe 1 - 2 hours if it wasn't busy. The management was also very selfish and once wouldn't let me have a break until 8 hours into a HECTIC 9 hours shift (on my own on floor as well so running food around constantly!!) as they complained they hadn't had their break either. Just pathetic really. One day I just didn't show up and I quit from then onwards.

I absoutely hated it and would never go back. I used to work at a students' union with 2000 capacity and Wetherspoon was A LOT worse! I also suffered from several burns and wrist strain injuries from carrying food and having no support/protection. They really just don't care. I do not regret leaving whatsoever.

I now work at Sainsburys and I really like it. I'm on a contract and they can't send me home early even if it's dead! There is always something to do elsewhere on the shop floor!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending