The Student Room Group

Laptop or Desktop Computer

I would like to get computer for when I go to University, but I can't decide on whether to get a Desktop Computer or a Laptop. A laptop would be more convenient, but I want to do Animation at Uni,so I would like one which is good for that, and I've heard you can get a lot more for your money with a Desktop Computer than a Laptop if you want to get one with a decent speck for animation.
Original post by VeggieSausage
I would like to get computer for when I go to University, but I can't decide on whether to get a Desktop Computer or a Laptop. A laptop would be more convenient, but I want to do Animation at Uni,so I would like one which is good for that, and I've heard you can get a lot more for your money with a Desktop Computer than a Laptop if you want to get one with a decent speck for animation.

It depends on how much power you need. What you've said is all true - you need to reach a decision about whether or not you care more about power and value for money or portability. I also don't know what software you'll be using for animation but I'd assume that if you ever need to render something, you'd be able to use some more powerful computers in the department or something.
Original post by Chlorophile
It depends on how much power you need. What you've said is all true - you need to reach a decision about whether or not you care more about power and value for money or portability. I also don't know what software you'll be using for animation but I'd assume that if you ever need to render something, you'd be able to use some more powerful computers in the department or something.

I'd say I probably care most about power and value :smile:. How much better for the money do desktops tend to be?
I haven't decided whether to do 2D or 3D animation yet, but I presume If I do 2D I'll be using lots of adobe flash, and if I do 3D I'll use Maya.
I'd say I probably care most about power and value :smile:. How much better for the money do desktops tend to be?
I haven't decided whether to do 2D or 3D animation yet, but I presume If I do 2D I'll be using lots of adobe flash, and if I do 3D I'll use Maya.

If you build the PC yourself or get it custom built, it can be quite substantially better value.
Original post by Chlorophile
If you build the PC yourself or get it custom built, it can be quite substantially better value.

Yeah some people I know have built themselves and said it was a lot cheaper. How hard would it be to build?
Yeah some people I know have built themselves and said it was a lot cheaper. How hard would it be to build?

If you watch some decent videos online and get the right equipment, building is easy. The hard part is choosing the best components and troubleshooting if it doesn't work.
For animation I'd say that you'd be a lot better off taking a desktop with a portable hard drive.

It needs a lot of power and needs to be reliable, PCs are more reliable than most laptops.

(I definitely do not have a bias towards Apple laptops/desktops ;P)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending