The Student Room Group

English Language: formal letters.

Hi, I need help fast!
I am currently revising for my English Language mock that is in December and I have to devise a clever and high end formal letter on the subject:
the smoking ban in England and Wales and to express my opinions towards it.
some one please help. To be honest (just as a side note I'm more so towards the in favour side).
Hiya,
It is a formal letter so it seems obvious but make sure you use formal and sophisticated language.
As it is English language really pack in those language techniques. This will get you the marks. Rhetorical question, list of 3, adverbs, powerful verbs, metaphor, statistics, quotations e.t.c
Use a variety of sentence lengths and structures
Write convincingly and persuasively. Use persuasive language.

Actual content.
It sets a good example to young people as they don't see others smoking and are less likely to start themselves. Saves money and lives in future.
Reduces the health effects of smoking e.g. lung cancer so will save the NHS millions of pounds.
It reduces the health effects of 2nd hand smoking (breathing in the smoke of others).
Cigarettes are very expensive so people will have more money to spend on other things such as improving their living conditions e.t.c
It will reduce litter because cigarette butts become littered all over the pavement and spoil the look of the street.
Here's a few points to get you going. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply