The Student Room Group

Ferguson Trial: Justice served, or not?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dodgypirate
If I run towards an armed police officer in an act of clear violence ... I'll get shot.

(I'm white).

The likelihood of you being shot if you're unarmed is quite small, or at least, considerably smaller than if you were black (according to statistics).
Reply 41
It's gross. Didn't even get a real trial. Black people aint **** to America. The black community are in desperate need for another Malcom X to guide them because integration has only stabbed them in back silently.
Original post by HeavyTeddy
The likelihood of you being shot if you're unarmed is quite small, or at least, considerably smaller than if you were black (according to statistics).

And why do you think those statistics are so high for blacks??

Because the areas which these shootings happen are BLACK.
Reply 43
To be fair, this is much bigger than a single black teenager. This is about the precedent that is being set against black people. The patterns are consistent: the police don't show as much care for black people as they do white or latin or asian people, and as a result are more likely to use force against them. In many of these cases, for whatever reason, officers do not face any sort of prosecution for their actions, and so, these actions are perpetuated. A high profile case like Michael Brown and the decision to indict the officer just serves as symbolism for a national issue.

based on what? just some stereotype you have?
the real national issue is the huge racial bias that unjust or racial killings of blacks (which were actually justified or not at all racial) get huge media coverage while other killings and racial killings of whites get almost no media coverage and are largely ignored.

If I run towards an armed police officer in an act of clear violence ... I'll get shot.

(I'm white).

if you are white and you are walking in the other direction of a police officer you can still get shot.

it is really strange how the cop was ordering that he takes his hands out.

the cop shot him because he took his hands out.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/25/critics-see-racial-double-standard-in-coverage-of-/?page=all
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 44
There is so much emphasis on whether or not Brown charged at Wilson or not. But regardless, I don't see how it justifies using lethal force. In the UK, our cops don't have guns and I'm sure they have gotten themselves into similar stressful situations, yet nobody has to be killed.

If this information I have gathered from the federal, independent and county autopsies are accurate and reliable, it is safe to speculate Wilson was using self-defence against a violent and aggressive Brown. As mentioned in the WiKi article, the shots were fired from only a few feet away.

The 1st shot was in the car, and fatal shots were from at least 30 ft away by Wilsons account.
Original post by tibis
the real national issue is the huge racial bias that unjust or racial killings of blacks (which were actually justified or not at all racial) get huge media coverage while other killings and racial killings of whites get almost no media coverage and are largely ignored.

if you are white and you are walking in the other direction of a black police officer you can still get shot.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/25/critics-see-racial-double-standard-in-coverage-of-/?page=all

No, what I said was based on looking at reliable statistics and coming to a logical conclusion. For instance, New York Police Department released a firearm discharge report, which details the amount and race of those shot by the police from 2000-2011 and they found that black people were five times more likely to shot and killed than white people. The Department of Justice, Buraeu of Justice Statistics released a report on arrest-related deaths that occured between 2003-2009, and found that the number of blacks killed as 1,529 whilst for whites it's 2,026; shocking considering blacks are actually a much smaller community. These are some of the statistics that I based my conclusion off of. This idea that blacks are always in uproar whilst the white community face similar injustice is quite frankly, stupid. You have no evidence (probably because there isn't any), but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and wait for any upcoming evidence you might want to share with me.

And why do you think those statistics are so high for blacks??

Because the areas which these shootings happen are BLACK.

What are you insinuating exactly?

Regardless of whether or not they commit criminal offences, it doesn't warrant being shot at. That isn't justice, it's baseless vigilantism.
Reply 46
No, what I said was based on looking at reliable statistics and coming to a logical conclusion. For instance, New York Police Department released a firearm discharge report, which details the amount and race of those shot by the police from 2000-2011 and they found that black people were five times more likely to shot and killed than white people. The Department of Justice, Buraeu of Justice Statistics released a report on arrest-related deaths that occured between 2003-2009, and found that the number of blacks killed as 1,529 whilst for whites it's 2,026; shocking considering blacks are actually a much smaller community. These are some of the statistics that I based my conclusion off of. This idea that blacks are always in uproar whilst the white community face similar injustice is quite frankly, stupid. You have no evidence (probably because there isn't any), but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and wait for any upcoming evidence you might want to share with me.

the amount of black people shot by police compared to white people shot by police has nothing to do with whether a police officer who shot an unarmed black person is more easily let off the hook over a police officer who shot an unarmed white person.

please actually read and comprehend what the conversation is about to save yourself sometime instead of writing some irrelevant, meaningless nonsense and save other people time for having to explain obvious things to you.

you have not shown anything that police are more likely to use unreasonable force against a black person over a white person.

or are you suggesting that violent criminals should be ignored to keep racial statistics in balance?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by tibis

if you are white and you are walking in the other direction of a police officer you can still get shot.

You're here talking about racial bias in media against white people/in favor of blacks, when the same publisher you just sourced falsely claimed that the officer was black. But he wasn't was he? He was white Hispanic.

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by Truths
You're here talking about racial bias in media against white people/in favor of blacks, when the same publisher you just sourced falsely claimed that the officer was black. But he wasn't was he? He was white Hispanic. Sit the **** down with your foolish ass.

what does that have to do with an unarmed white person being shot by the police and it having almost no media coverage?

it doesn't change the point at all.

also don't posts ****ty gifs and people will take you more seriously. posting a gif doesn't make your point any less irrelevant
Reply 49
Original post by tibis
the amount of black people shot by police compared to white people shot by police has nothing to do with whether a police officer who shot an unarmed black person is more easily let off the hook over a police officer who shot an unarmed white person.

I'm sure this does tho.

Reply 50
Original post by Truths
I'm sure this does tho.

no it doesn't. it shows that whites kliling blacks is more often justified.
also you should link the source with statistics.

also i'm guessing syg is an acronym for stand your ground so is that even police officers shooting civillians?
Original post by tibis

please actually read and comprehend what the conversation is about to save yourself sometime instead of writing some irrelevant, meaningless nonsense and save other people time for having to explain obvious things to you.

you have not shown anything that police are more likely to use unreasonable force against a black person over a white person.

or are you suggesting that violent criminals should be ignored to keep racial statistics in balance?

No, if you read my post over, I said that officers are more likely to use force against a black person than a white person, you then asked what I based that on and then I told you. Perhaps it's your comprehension skills that are lacking. What is considered unreasonable is a matter of debate, and reliable, federal statistics are unlikely to go into semantics and subjectivism. No, I just think that using force carelessly is unwarranted, but that's just my opinion.
Original post by Temporality
e.g. ???

Where was the race riot after Lee Rigby was murdered? Show me a race riot that happens after a murder of a white person by a black person happens...
Reply 53
Original post by tibis
what does that have to do with an unarmed white person being shot by the police and it having almost no media coverage?

He was obviously over shadowed. Just a week after Brown was killed another black person was killed by a cop, in Missouri too. I'm sure you never heard of him either.
Reply 54
Original post by Huskaris
Where was the race riot after Lee Rigby was murdered? Show me a race riot that happens after a murder of a white person by a black person happens...

Gerl you're kidding right? Not even the same country or the same scenario. Lee Rigby was murdered by some crazy and they were arrested and brought to justice immediately. Wilson was not a crazy, he was a police officer, he was not arrested, he was no indicted, he wasn't even formally questioned until 2 weeks after the murder. How is that the same? Try again.
Reply 55
No, if you read my post over, I said that officers are more likely to use force against a black person than a white person, you then asked what I based that on and then I told you. Perhaps it's your comprehension skills that are lacking. What is considered unreasonable is a matter of debate, and reliable, federal statistics are unlikely to go into semantics and subjectivism. No, I just think that using force carelessly is unwarranted, but that's just my opinion.

no you didn't. you said that police don't show as much care for black people as they do for white or asian people.
you are suggesting there is a racial bias in how the police deal with them.

you then suggested that officers are less likely to be punished for unjust killings of black people

here is what you said -
To be fair, this is much bigger than a single black teenager. This is about the precedent that is being set against black people. The patterns are consistent: the police don't show as much care for black people as they do white or latin or asian people, and as a result are more likely to use force against them. In many of these cases, for whatever reason, officers do not face any sort of prosecution for their actions, and so, these actions are perpetuated. A high profile case like Michael Brown and the decision to indict the officer just serves as symbolism for a national issue.

you then linked statistics of black and white people shot by police which isn't a reflection of how many of those killings were necessary.

a number of killings is just that. it doesn't have any details of those killings.

this is gold because i have never even said that police are not biased towards black people.
i was talking about bias in the media.

yet you can't even argue something which i actually agree with.
Reply 56
Original post by Huskaris
Black man shoots white man, nothing

White man shoots black man, all shops within a 10 mile radius have a 100% off sale.

Cool.

Black man goes to prison, white man lives freely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tibis

OR he could have complied with the officer rather than walk off like a muppet.
Reply 58
Original post by Truths
He was obviously over shadowed. Just a week after Brown was killed another black person was killed by a cop, in Missouri too. I'm sure you never heard of him either.

of course we haven't heard of the vast majority of people shot by police whether it was unjust or not.
the reason the media picks up certain things is to sell newspapers and get ratings and some would say to try and trigger a response for political reasons.

look at who ends up looking like low life clowns from the media's decisions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Truths
Gerl you're kidding right? Not even the same country or the same scenario. Lee Rigby was murdered by some crazy and they were arrested and brought to justice immediately. Wilson was not a crazy, he was a police officer, he was not arrested, he was no indicted, he wasn't even formally questioned until 2 weeks after the murder. How is that the same? Try again.

Ok then, in the USA 52.5% of homicide offenders are black, and I haven't heard of a white riot about this... It is bound to be the case that a lot of white people have been murdered by black people.

Also, http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/3/justice-dillon-taylor-after-white-utah-man-fatally/

White unarmed man shot by black cop, peaceful protest....

OJ simpson? I don't remember a race riot about that... A man got off completely free with murder, arguably specifically because he was black.

You can't have your cake and eat it.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending