The Student Room Group

Ferguson Trial: Justice served, or not?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by tibis
no it doesn't. it shows that whites kliling blacks is more often justified.
also you should link the source with statistics.

also i'm guessing syg is an acronym for stand your ground so is that even police officers shooting civillians?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/criminal-justice/is-there-racial-bias-in-stand-your-ground-laws/

The fact of the matter is, if you look at any critical area of the police activity & criminal justice system, you are going to see indisputable racial disparities. And if you think it has nothing to do with racism, then you are incredibly naive :\
Original post by HeavyTeddy

What are you insinuating exactly?

Regardless of whether or not they commit criminal offences, it doesn't warrant being shot at. That isn't justice, it's baseless vigilantism.

You've gone on a tangent now ...

If you didn't commit an offence, you wouldn't be stopped by police - unless there is reasonable doubt that you have, in which case you'll likely get stopped.

If you have committed an offence, in Michael Brown's case a robbery, you are expected under law to conform with police procedures (i.e stop and not resist arrest).

If you don't conform and instead resist arrest, then the policeman/woman who has stopped you has the right to use a certain amount of force.

If, under any case, the policeman/woman feels threatened, or is being attacked, then he/she can use self-defence force.

The fact that it was a fatal shooting should have nothing to do with the police officer in question.

And please, please, please don't tell me "But police officers are trained to use enough force as to not kill", because you have NO idea of what can happen in a scenario like that. You have no clue as to how you would react to a 6''5-6 guy running at you.

Based on my previous point it is clear as crystal that most, if not all these police - "innocent" citizen shootings happen in BLACK COMMUNITIES, so blatantly the stats will be higher for blacks being killed.
Reply 62
Original post by Truths
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/criminal-justice/is-there-racial-bias-in-stand-your-ground-laws/

The fact of the matter is, if you look at any critical area of the police activity & criminal justice system, you are going to see indisputable racial disparities. And if you think it has nothing to do with racism, then you are incredibly naive :\

it is not about whether it has anything to do with racism or not, it is about how big a factor racial bias could have been.

you have to look at in detail each crime and categorize them more specifically rather than simply unarmed man killed by police or armed man killed by police and so on.

of course more black people are going to be shot by police in many areas of a nation as they have communities living in poverty which are rife with crime and gang culture and races which are far more likely to have come from those backgrounds are going to be more aggressive and have not passed syg laws for good reason because they weren't simply standing their ground.

also don't just throw insults out like that, it does you no favours to resort to insults. it is like a chimp resorting to flinging its poo.
people will listen to and take seriously those who can calmly articulate their point without getting aggressive or being insulting.

ironically often when someone uses insults other people see that person as the insult they used and also people often rashly use insults because they are feeling that way about themselves.
Original post by Truths

The 1st shot was in the car, and fatal shots were from at least 30 ft away by Wilsons account.

Forensics and ballistics say otherwise.
Reply 64
I agree with Temporality.
Shooting someone in the head 2 times, is more than an act of 'self defence'.
I'm glad Wilson wasn't charged. His testimony of self-defence is accurate with the forensic evidence- there were witnesses that both said he did and did not shoot Brown in defence, but the latter group changed or withdrew their statement. The Supreme Court were given all the evidence and came to a conclusion that he shouldn't be charged. That's good enough for me. What should be worth taking legal action over is the horrific actions of the "protesters" (read: looters, vandals and criminals) that willingly tore the Ferguson community apart.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by Huskaris
OJ simpson? I don't remember a race riot about that... A man got off completely free with murder, arguably specifically because he was black.

Anomaly + OJ Simpson was not a cop. So it's not even comparable.

Ok then, in the USA 52.5% of homicide offenders are black, and I haven't heard of a white riot about this... It is bound to be the case that a lot of white people have been murdered by black people.

You are making out the rioting to be more than it is. Most of the people rioting were not even from Ferguson, they came from outside of the community to capitalize off the debacle. But even then, the police officers did the absolute most to aggevate the situation by attacking peaceful protesters. The reason why groups protest is to bring people to account, the majority of these homicides by black people you speak of were not police officers and they are typically brought to justice as quick as possible. So why would white people protest?

FALSE.

Original post by Dodgypirate

Wilson's account was that the final shots were 8-10 feet away, confirmed by forensics. You should both read into the case and the evidence provided.

http://apps.stlpublicradio.org/ferguson-project/evidence.html
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 68

Brown had more than one autopsy report. The one that was commissioned privately did not agree that the first shot was at close range. But neither reports claim that the fatal shot was at close range, so I'm not quite sure what lies you are spewing =_=
Original post by Jemner01
Wilson's account was that the final shots were 8-10 feet away, confirmed by forensics. You should both read into the case and the evidence provided.

http://apps.stlpublicradio.org/ferguson-project/evidence.html

8 feet is close enough to use self-defence for me .... Chances are Brown was charging towards him.

The fatal shot was to the top of Brown's head.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Truths
Brown had more than one autopsy report. The one that was commissioned privately did not agree that the first shot was at close range. But neither reports claim that the fatal shot was at close range, so I'm not quite sure what lies you are spewing =_=

Brown's body went through:

- The St. Louis country autopsy

- An independent autopsy

- Federal autopsy

The fatal shot was at the top of Brown's head

Each agree with the shot number, each agree with the distance.
(edited 9 years ago)
8 feet is close enough to use self-defence for me .... Chances are Brown was charging towards him.

The wounds on Browns hands indicate he was shot at close range, Wilson's testimony said the Brown attempted to reach into his car (whilst punching him) and take control of his firearm. The rest of the shots were found on Brown's front only and Wilson testimony said that the first shot was aimed at his head purely because it was the only place he could aim as Brown was double over, charging at him (as if to tackle him).

Sources: page 50 of the Grand Jury vol. 1 for the gunshot wounds and medical analysis.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by tibis
it is not about whether it has anything to do with racism or not, it is about how big a factor racial bias could have been.

you have to look at in detail each crime and categorize them more specifically rather than simply unarmed man killed by police or armed man killed by police and so on.

of course more black people are going to be shot by police in many areas of a nation as they have communities living in poverty which are rife with crime and gang culture and races which are far more likely to have come from those backgrounds are going to be more aggressive and have not passed syg laws for good reason because they weren't simply standing their ground.

You say that we should look at cases specifically and then you generalize black victims as aggressive & combative. Makes sense..
Officer Wilson deserves an apology to be honest.
Reply 74
Brown's body went through:

- The St. Louis country autopsy

- An independent autopsy

- Federal autopsy

The fatal shot was at the top of Brown's head

Each agree with the shot number, each agree with the distance.

To be more specific. The private autopsy did not indicate that Brown was shot at close range. But I guess that doesn't mean they agree or disagree.

But I have to say. After seeing this video, I firmly believe that Brown was surrendering with his hands up.

There isn't really a convincing reason why these witnesses would lie. They didn't even know they were being recorded.

And even if Brown did charge at him, I don't see how that would warrant lethal force. In the UK, our cops are confronted with this altercations all the time and they never need a gun to settle it.
Original post by Truths
To be more specific. The private autopsy did not indicate that Brown was shot at close range. But I guess that doesn't mean they agree or disagree.

But I have to say. After seeing this video, I firmly believe that Brown was surrendering with his hands up.

There isn't really a convincing reason why these witnesses would lie. They didn't even know they were being recorded.

And even if Brown did charge at him, I don't see how that would warrant lethal force. In the UK, our cops are confronted with this altercations all the time and they never need a gun to settle it.

Mainstream media has created Wilson into some sort of monster, but SOLID evidence proves that this poor fella is INNOCENT.

How can you say that Brown was completely innocent and shot in cold blood when the underlying evidence suggests strongly that Brown was charging at Officer Wilson.

Wilson was on call to a 2 month year old suffering from breathing issues minutes before he was moved to the robbery call -- he was just unlucky enough to fall into this hell hole of a witch hunt.

His life is ruined now.

Wilson acted out of SELF-DEFENCE when Brown charged at him ... the consequence was a death unfortunately - that is all there is to it.
Reply 76
How can you say that Brown was completely innocent and shot in cold blood when the underlying evidence suggests strongly that Brown was charging at Officer Wilson.

What evidence strongly suggests he charged at the officer? Because he had his head down? That could indicate a lot of things. i.e, he was falling when he was shot in the head, he bowed his head when he was surrendering.
His life is ruined now.

At least he has a life.
Original post by Truths
What evidence strongly suggests he charged at the officer? Because he had his head down? That could indicate a lot of things. i.e, he was falling when he was shot in the head, he bowed his head when he was surrendering.

At least he has a life.

Everything is pointing towards Brown charging at Officer Wilson.

I'd rather be dead than being witchhunted by the media and a bunch of angry, low life men/women who only care about getting their hands on a free TV from Walmart.

Wilson pretty much doesn't have a life now.

Are you black btw?
How come this **** only ever happens in America and not in UK or other European countries ?????????????
Original post by goobypls
How come this **** only ever happens in America and not in UK or other European countries ?????????????

2 words ... gun laws.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending