The Student Room Group

Which Uni for Chemistry?

Hi guys, I have applied to 4 out of my 5 universities. These include:

Oxford (Christ Church) F100 - Rejected (rekt)
Bristol F105 - Visit Day 16th December
Bath F104 - Heard nothing
UCL F101 - Offer, AAA, Visit Day 2nd December

My question to you guys, is where should I apply to as a 5th choice.

GCSEs:
9A*, 4A, 1B

AS:
AAAA

A2 (Early):
A

Would greatly appreciate the help!

Thanks
Original post by Yago
Hi guys, I have applied to 4 out of my 5 universities. These include:

Oxford (Christ Church) F100 - Rejected (rekt)
Bristol F105 - Visit Day 16th December
Bath F104 - Heard nothing
UCL F101 - Offer, AAA, Visit Day 2nd December

My question to you guys, is where should I apply to as a 5th choice.

GCSEs:
9A*, 4A, 1B

AS:
AAAA

A2 (Early):
A

Would greatly appreciate the help!

Thanks

Well you can pretty much apply anywhere with those grades (well done by the way, very sorry to hear that you were #rekt by oxford). I'd choose the place you think you'd most enjoy yourself at.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
Well you can pretty much apply anywhere with those grades (well done by the way, very sorry to hear that you were #rekt by oxford). I'd choose the place you think you'd most enjoy yourself at.

Hello again kind sir, glad to see you are busy manning TSR forums. Being very helpful. I just don't really know what universities are good for Chemistry, even after asking teachers and doing research. I've been thinking Manchester or Warwick. Now that Imperial/Oxf/Camb are out of the question I just don't know..
Reply 3
How come Oxford rejected you? I got in with worse grades (I do chemistry). I would say though, be sure you want to do chemistry because it is HEAVY
Original post by Yago
Hello again kind sir, glad to see you are busy manning TSR forums. Being very helpful. I just don't really know what universities are good for Chemistry, even after asking teachers and doing research. I've been thinking Manchester or Warwick. Now that Imperial/Oxf/Camb are out of the question I just don't know..

Firstly, why is Imperial out of the question?

In terms of universities that seem to be good for chemistry, both Warwick and Manchester are good, Durham, Edinburgh, St.Andrews and York all also seem to be good with Chemistry. Heriot-Watt seems to be ranked quite highly in a number of league tables for Chemistry.
Nottingham it's up there for research and an amazing uni which employer absolutely love. Also the first year lecturers are amazing.
Reply 6
Original post by sytner9
How come Oxford rejected you? I got in with worse grades (I do chemistry). I would say though, be sure you want to do chemistry because it is HEAVY

I have no idea why I didn't get in, they just said the competition was so big this year they couldn't give me and interview. I'm sure I want to do chemistry and have been for a while now.. What exactly do you mean about it being heavy?
Reply 7
It's just so much work. Obviously less so if you don't go to Oxford but Organic, Inorganic and Physical should probably be degrees in themselves and we do all three. Also labs are tedious and get in the way of doing the mountains of work you have. There's a lot of maths here too. if you really want to get into Oxford which loads of people do it seems I would advise applying again next year to a different college. Perhaps a more obscure one. I am at St Hilda's for example.
Reply 8
Are you bothered about grade offers? i.e. do you want an insurance or not bothered by another AAA? I'd probably whack any sort of RG university down - somewhere you fancy living or whatever. Most of them will be around ~AAB I think.

Why did you apply where you applied, what are you looking for in a university?
Original post by Yago

I go to manchester if you have any questions!
go imperial man- it's like the uk version of MIT and you have the grades for it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending