The Student Room Group

Apparently I'm being bullied at work

Hi,

I recently took on a new job and my supervisor has been yelling at me a few times for doing the wrong thing. I have as a result lost my confidence; got depression; and lost a bit of weight.

One or two people in my department told me that I shouldn't have to put up with it and it is in fact very unprofessional. Is this true?

Am I really being bullied? If so, what should I do?
If you're doing something wrong then I'm not sure you would call it bullying if she's shouting at you? But i guess there's better ways of telling someone off for doing something wrong rather than shouting at them.
Whether it's bullying, I don't really know. Certainly unprofessional though.
Reply 3
Original post by OU Student
Whether it's bullying, I don't really know. Certainly unprofessional though.

Someone in my department told me that I don't have to put up with it. The fact that someone noticed it means that it is serious. I have not been feeling normal recently, and feel guilty lying to my close ones about it all.

I am shocked that it happens in the workplace, and I now know who I will be working for in the near future. I think working with my mates and family may be the best option for me, but overall I am shocked to say the least
Reply 4
Original post by Safiya122
If you're doing something wrong then I'm not sure you would call it bullying if she's shouting at you? But i guess there's better ways of telling someone off for doing something wrong rather than shouting at them.

Yes, I have been yelled at. It has offended me and made me lose my self esteem, and it was until recently when others told me that I didn't have to put up with it.
They're right - you don't have to put up with it.
Reply 6
Original post by OU Student
They're right - you don't have to put up with it.

I'm scared to report it. It wasn't until someone told me that I didn't have to put up with it, that I gained some confidence that I was being bullied.

Apparently, the people telling me this have worked in the corporation for years and have said they don't really get yelled at.

They think I'm going through hell, and I feel happy that people have given me support.
yelling at employees is really bad management, however I wouldn't say it's bullying if they treat everyone the same and it's for valid reasons - not saying this is the case in your situation

being bullied at work is tough, there is nothing you can do and often nowhere to turn as HR don't want to deal with it and would rather force you out than deal with someone they probably already know is a problem (very few people will bully one person and never do it again)

working with your family and friends forever isn't the answer, unfortunately this happens in some workplaces, but certainly not all, best thing to do is try and learn to cope emotionally while searching for another job
Reply 8
Original post by doodle_333
yelling at employees is really bad management, however I wouldn't say it's bullying if they treat everyone the same and it's for valid reasons - not saying this is the case in your situation

being bullied at work is tough, there is nothing you can do and often nowhere to turn as HR don't want to deal with it and would rather force you out than deal with someone they probably already know is a problem (very few people will bully one person and never do it again)

working with your family and friends forever isn't the answer, unfortunately this happens in some workplaces, but certainly not all, best thing to do is try and learn to cope emotionally while searching for another job

Apparently yelling is unprofessional.

It has upset me and it wasn't until when others picked it up that I really knew that I didn't have to put up with it
Reply 9
Hi there,

I think this is more of a opinionated matter rather than by definition. If the way they behave is making you feel like this then you could say you are being bullied. Personally I would stick around whilst trying very hard to look for a new job. As soon as I do find a new job, I would resign and make sure I definitely get back at that big headed ****.

Good luck buddy
Reply 10
Original post by Ren12
Hi there,

I think this is more of a opinionated matter rather than by definition. If the way they behave is making you feel like this then you could say you are being bullied. Personally I would stick around whilst trying very hard to look for a new job. As soon as I do find a new job, I would resign and make sure I definitely get back at that big headed ****.

Good luck buddy

Unfortunately that is often easily said than done.

The market is tough out there, and even getting this job was a struggle for me.
Original post by Safiya122

If someone is doing something wrong then they need to be spoken to about it, but shouting at them isnt really the way to go about it. There are much better ways of telling someone that they are doing something wrong- such as taking someone to one side and explaining to them the right way of doing things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending