The Student Room Group

Do I Have To Take This?

So i am really curious; do i have to take one of the core subjects for A Level? I know it would be best, but i'm currently hating English Science and Maths at GCSE. Do i really need to take them?

My options are
Geography, Business, Sociology and another subject (preferably Media Studies or Electronics as 4th option). I know universities may not like these subjects and may consider them soft subjects, but i just want to do the subjects i feel like i would enjoy. Though, considering my subject choices, the 4th choice would preferably be the weaker softer subject, being either Media Studies or Electronics. I know you guys are going to rage at me lolol for choosing weird subjects, but yeh...

Advice please people!!
Don't wana be forced into doing maths from my mum (i'm Asian haha).
No you don't have to do a core subject for a level. You can choose the subject choices you wish as long as they do them at your school and you get the required GCSE grades. I wouldn't criticise your choices (do what you enjoy as there's no point doing subjects you don't enjoy) but I would say that they are very broad (good to keep options open if you're unsure what you want to do) but may limit your options especially if what you decide to do eventually requires particular subjects. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Schu98
So i am really curious; do i have to take one of the core subjects for A Level? I know it would be best, but i'm currently hating English Science and Maths at GCSE. Do i really need to take them?

My options are
Geography, Business, Sociology and another subject (preferably Media Studies or Electronics as 4th option). I know universities may not like these subjects and may consider them soft subjects, but i just want to do the subjects i feel like i would enjoy. Though, considering my subject choices, the 4th choice would preferably be the weaker softer subject, being either Media Studies or Electronics. I know you guys are going to rage at me lolol for choosing weird subjects, but yeh...

Advice please people!!

Look do what you enjoy and you will enjoy life... I recommend you think seriously about what you want to do at university, bearing in mind you will be spending at least 3 years of your life on the course. This will give you a good indication of what a levels you need.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, you don't have to take a core subject. I'd suggest doing courses you're genuinely interested in as it's better to feel motivated and do well without the core subjects, than do maths or english and do badly.
Reply 4
No, you don't have to take a core subject. But for the sake of it, I highly recommend that you choose at least one core subject as the subjects you chose are Mickey Mouse subjects... Obviously, its your choice.

Hope that helped!
Reply 5
Original post by Schu98

My options are

Advice please people!!

Electronics isn't 'soft?' - probably the storgest subject you've listed
You have to do whatever subjects you're good at and what you want to do. You, if planning on going to uni, also need to look at the course requirements. Many unis says you need to do a certain subject for a certain course.

Quick Reply

Latest