The Student Room Group

why can't I get a boyfriend?

I'm an 18 year old girl and I consider myself to be reasonably attractive. The thing is I've never been in a serious relationship and the only physical intimacy I've had with guys is during one night stands. I just don't understand why guys don't want anything more to do with me, I'm starting to feel weirdly desperate and I kinda hate myself for it :frown:
I'm a pretty shy person and quite insecure so I'm not that forward with guys unless I'm drunk but the few times that I have persued guys when sober I've been rejected.
How can I make myself more attractive to guys?
Maybe you have a bad personality? Do you like to spend time with people in a romantic setting, that's outside of physical intimacy?

There isn't really a "fix" to make you attractive. Plus you personally may think you're attractive (not saying you're not) but perhaps others feel differently? You could post a picture I guess.

Also, describe how you are normally? In terms of how you interact with other people, and whether or not you're generally nice or negative.
Make an effort for a relationship specifically - internet is everyone's friend, too... and stop with the drunken sex... Be confident, or at least create a somewhat of a facade of it
Original post by Anonymous
I'm an 18 year old girl and I consider myself to be reasonably attractive. The thing is I've never been in a serious relationship and the only physical intimacy I've had with guys is during one night stands. I just don't understand why guys don't want anything more to do with me, I'm starting to feel weirdly desperate and I kinda hate myself for it :frown:
I'm a pretty shy person and quite insecure so I'm not that forward with guys unless I'm drunk but the few times that I have persued guys when sober I've been rejected.

Just remember to be you. I know it sounds simple but its true. I personally think you have nothing to worry about. You are only 18. The world is ones oyster as people say. Just because you have never had a proper relationship with a guy does not mean you are weird or that there is something wrong. Infant, it's totally normal.

Wouldn't you rather find yourself with somebody who really cares for you and wants to be in a loving long term relationship, rather than somebody who just wants you for casual sex. I know what i'd chose, but that's me.

I'm sure you are doing nothing wrong. There are plenty of fish in the sea. If you are still feeling down about it or want somebody to talk to i'm always here to help others out. Just PM me if that's the case.

Don't worry. Just go out and enjoy life. More often than not that special somebody will probably turn up when you're least expecting it. :smile:
Well you shouldn't be desperate, desperation is the trait that turns people away from you. Do whatever you do best (if you know what that is)
Whats the hurry? Stop thinking about a relationship for a while. Go out there and do stuff that makes you happy, do the things you love and the things that make you feel more confident and content with yourself. Through doing this you will grow and perhaps love will find you.
Reply 6
It'll happen when it happens

and that may not be what you want to hear, but you don't just want a boyfriend. You want it to be someone that you'll truly love. In other words you don't just want one for the sake of it. Be you, and have guys think YOU are beautiful. Thats personality wise and physically.

You want the intimacy and comfort of a boyfriend, and thats understandable, I'm in the same boat as you. (except I'm a guy).
In the meantime try and fill your life with friends, and having fun, who knows maybe thats where you'll bump into him. But don't change who you are.

Other than that what I would say, is go out as often as you can. NOT clubs, you won't find them there, just a load of horny guys, try coffee shops, the library etc.
Reply 7
Original post by High Stakes
Maybe you have a bad personality? Do you like to spend time with people in a romantic setting, that's outside of physical intimacy?

There isn't really a "fix" to make you attractive. Plus you personally may think you're attractive (not saying you're not) but perhaps others feel differently? You could post a picture I guess.

Also, describe how you are normally? In terms of how you interact with other people, and whether or not you're generally nice or negative.

I am a nice person (I hope!) I guess people don't see much of my personality because I'm kinda quiet. Don't want to sound conceited or whatever but yeah I don't personally think I'm really good looking but I have been told so by others...
maybe you are not as attractive as you may think
Original post by Anonymous

I reckon you're just unlucky. Keep trying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stop being so desperate, for a start.
Try & get out of your shell more, guys might think you're dull. If they talk to you try & sound enthusiastic & initiate things. You can get one, rejection happens so don't get to down about it & move on. Good luck! )

Quick Reply

Latest