The Student Room Group

Volumetric Analysis - Moles and morality

Thumbs up to every answer!! Will give best answer :smile:

Okay so I'm finding this particular topic in chemistry really hard. I have come to realise that at first I find things really hard but once I practice I look back and think it's so simple aha! But anyway I've been given this homework and I'm trying but I swear my answers are wrong!! I'm getting really freaked out by it to be honest.

So please please please can someone give me the answers so I can checkto see if I've gone wrong or even go through it with me!! Wow :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::cool::cool::wink::wink:

P.S. I tried to put the numbers in the chemical equations in small but it kept changing it back to large font - sorry!

These are the questions:
1. How many grams of solute per dm3 are needed to make 1 molar solutions of:
a. NH4NO3 b. KNO3 c. glucose C6H12O6 D. MgSO4 E. CaSO4?

2. What mass of sodium nitrate NaNO3 is needed to make 8 dm3 of 0.3M solution?

3. Caclulate the concentration of these solutions: 74.5g of KCl in 1dm3.
b. 50.5g of KNO3 in 0.5dm3
c. 340g of silver nitrate in 250cm3
d. 160.5g of ammonuim chloride in 15dm3?

4. Soduim Hydroxide will react with hyrdolic acid to form sodium chloride. If 1000cm3 of 4M hydrochloric acid were used to produce the sodium chloride, what volume of 1.5M sodium hydroxide would be required to complete this neutralisation?

5. 25cm3 of 1M hydrochloric acid were mixed with 30cm3 of 1M sodium hydroxide solution. How many cm3 of 0.2M nitric acid are needed to neutralise the excess alkali?

6. To 25cm3 of a solution of NaOH, 50cm3 of a 0.5M HCl solution was added and the resulting solution was required 22.3cm3 of 0.25M NaOH for neutralisation. Calculate the original concentration of the NaOH solution.

7. In a certain reaction between nitric acid and ammonium hydroxide, 50cm3 of 0.3M ammonium hydroxide was required to neutralise 20cm3 of nitric acid. What was the morality of the acid?

8. 100cm3 of a solution contaiing 2g of ammonuim chloride in 1dm3 were boiled with 100cm3 of 0.1M NaOH solution. What mass of sodium hydroxide was left in excess when the reaction was complete?

9. What mass of solid material remains when 500cm3 of 0.1M calcium chlorid, CaCl2 is evaporated to dryness?

10. 100cm3 of vinegar is diluted to 250cm3 with water. 25cm3 of the diluted solution required 16.9cm3 of 0.5M KOH for neutralisation. Assuming that all the acidity in the vinegar is due to ethanoic acid CH3COOH, calculate the percentage by mass of this acid in vinegar (density of vinegar is 1.02gcm-2).

Thank you so much for any help - it is so much appreciated! Any links to videos explaining it etc would be so great!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Original post by Thingymajig

Okay so I'm finding this particular topic in chemistry really hard. I have come to realise that at first I find things really hard but once I practice I look back and think it's so simple aha! But anyway I've been given this homework and I'm trying but I swear my answers are wrong!! I'm getting really freaked out by it to be honest.

So please please please can someone give me the answers so I can checkto see if I've gone wrong or even go through it with me!! Wow :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::cool::cool::wink::wink:

P.S. I tried to put the numbers in the chemical equations in small but it kept changing it back to large font - sorry!

These are the questions:
1. How many grams of solute per dm3 are needed to make 1 molar solutions of:
a. NH4NO3 b. KNO3 c. glucose C6H12O6 D. MgSO4 E. CaSO4?

2. What mass of sodium nitrate NaNO3 is needed to make 8 dm3 of 0.3M solution?

3. Caclulate the concentration of these solutions: 74.5g of KCl in 1dm3.
b. 50.5g of KNO3 in 0.5dm3
c. 340g of silver nitrate in 250cm3
d. 160.5g of ammonuim chloride in 15dm3?

4. Soduim Hydroxide will react with hyrdolic acid to form sodium chloride. If 1000cm3 of 4M hydrochloric acid were used to produce the sodium chloride, what volume of 1.5M sodium hydroxide would be required to complete this neutralisation?

5. 25cm3 of 1M hydrochloric acid were mixed with 30cm3 of 1M sodium hydroxide solution. How many cm3 of 0.2M nitric acid are needed to neutralise the excess alkali?

6. To 25cm3 of a solution of NaOH, 50cm3 of a 0.5M HCl solution was added and the resulting solution was required 22.3cm3 of 0.25M NaOH for neutralisation. Calculate the original concentration of the NaOH solution.

7. In a certain reaction between nitric acid and ammonium hydroxide, 50cm3 of 0.3M ammonium hydroxide was required to neutralise 20cm3 of nitric acid. What was the morality of the acid?

8. 100cm3 of a solution contaiing 2g of ammonuim chloride in 1dm3 were boiled with 100cm3 of 0.1M NaOH solution. What mass of sodium hydroxide was left in excess when the reaction was complete?

9. What mass of solid material remains when 500cm3 of 0.1M calcium chlorid, CaCl2 is evaporated to dryness?

10. 100cm3 of vinegar is diluted to 250cm3 with water. 25cm3 of the diluted solution required 16.9cm3 of 0.5M KOH for neutralisation. Assuming that all the acidity in the vinegar is due to ethanoic acid CH3COOH, calculate the percentage by mass of this acid in vinegar (density of vinegar is 1.02gcm-2).

Thank you so much for any help - it is so much appreciated! Any links to videos explaining it etc would be so great!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Can you post your answers and your working so we know you're not trying to cheat?
Original post by Thingymajig

Acids have no morals, they will corrode or react with anything and everything that they can, indiscriminately and without considering the ethical or moral implications. They live by no moral code.

It is fair to say that any solution of an acid has zero morality ...

Quick Reply