The Student Room Group

Will changes to A level affect this?

Okay so I posted a few days ago about self-teaching another A level, and I may still do this, but it was also mentioned I could take up another AS when I go back to school next year (I'm currently taking a year out due to injury, so did year 12 last year and will be doing year 13 next year). However, obviously the A level changes come into action start 2015, where I believe AS becomes a separate A level entirely? Do the changes mean I won't be able to pick up an AS, of which would probably be chemistry, along my 3 A2's starting september next year?
The reason for wanting to complete another AS is due to only completing 3 last year.

Any help would be great! Thank you :smile:
Could you have a teacher you could talk to about this?
Original post by Safiya122
Could you have a teacher you could talk to about this?

This question doesn't make sense. :smile:
Original post by beyknowles
This question doesn't make sense. :smile:

Oh sorry haha i mean could you speak to a teacher about this?
Original post by ALJB
Okay so I posted a few days ago about self-teaching another A level, and I may still do this, but it was also mentioned I could take up another AS when I go back to school next year (I'm currently taking a year out due to injury, so did year 12 last year and will be doing year 13 next year). However, obviously the A level changes come into action start 2015, where I believe AS becomes a separate A level entirely? Do the changes mean I won't be able to pick up an AS, of which would probably be chemistry, along my 3 A2's starting september next year?
The reason for wanting to complete another AS is due to only completing 3 last year.

Any help would be great! Thank you :smile:

Do you have a teacher or an appropriate adult with whom you can discuss the matter? Alternatively, your best bet is to ring or e-mail the examining body with whom you are sitting your exams and ask for their help and advice.
Reply 5
AS-levels are being 'decoupled' from A-Levels, and not all of them at the same time. What this means is that you can study AS-Levels, but that they will no longer count towards an A-Level - they will a qualification in themselves. In the future you will have to decide the level of study at the start of sixth-form: AS or A-Level. There will be no more ability to start at AS and keep subjects on at A2.

What you need to do is find the specification of the subject that you wish to study and figure out when the changes will be applied. Then you will know the situation with doing the AS-Level in it.
Reply 6
I'm going to go into college sometime in the next couple of weeks, I just didn't want to get my hopes up to find out I couldn't take an AS level after all. Chemistry changes next year, however geography doesn't change until 2016 so that's my back up. Thanks for all your answers!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest