The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Ask a current student thread

Hi everyone :smile:
My name's Jade and I'm currently in my first year studying biomedical sciences, if you have any questions about Surrey please feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer :h:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KiwiMonkey96
My name's Jade and I'm currently in my first year studying biomedical sciences, if you have any questions about Surrey please feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer :h:

Hi :smile:

I'm surprised that you haven't had a reply yet :eek:

How is life at the university? Are you enjoying things there?

How challenging is the work there, compared to A Levels?

Hope you get more people asking things :smile:
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by spotify95
Hi :smile:

I'm surprised that you haven't had a reply yet :eek:

How is life at the university? Are you enjoying things there?

How challenging is the work there, compared to A Levels?

Hope you get more people asking things :smile:

It's been alright, it would have been better if not for my stupid anxiety :frown: some aspects I am enjoying though :smile:
The work load has been ok, mostly lab reports - which is obviously different to a levels, but there are exams in January to revise for, only three so not really substantially more than a levels. The number of lectures varies slightly per week, this week I think I only have about 5/6 and a 3 hour lab :smile:
Reply 3
Hi Jade,thanx for your willingness to answer questions. I have an offer for adult nursing feb 2015. I was wondering if you could please advise on what time first year adult nursing students finish lectures,seminars each day . I was informed at the interview that lessons are done 3 days a week. Do you know anyone on the adult nursing course ? Thanx for your time.
Original post by waku
Hi Jade,thanx for your willingness to answer questions. I have an offer for adult nursing feb 2015. I was wondering if you could please advise on what time first year adult nursing students finish lectures,seminars each day . I was informed at the interview that lessons are done 3 days a week. Do you know anyone on the adult nursing course ? Thanx for your time.

I met someone doing adult nursing on an induction programme I was on, unfortunately haven't spoken to him since otherwise I could be more certain on the answer, for most courses the day is between 9am and 6pm mon to fri except Wednesday which is 9am to 12pm, (not constantly for most courses) there are a few exceptions and I do not know if adult nursing is one of them so of course I may be wrong, I see that you have asked this in the Q+A thread aswell and you should be able to get a accurate answer there :smile: I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help, if I was you I'd wait for a reply in the other thread.
Reply 5
I met someone doing adult nursing on an induction programme I was on, unfortunately haven't spoken to him since otherwise I could be more certain on the answer, for most courses the day is between 9am and 6pm mon to fri except Wednesday which is 9am to 12pm, (not constantly for most courses) there are a few exceptions and I do not know if adult nursing is one of them so of course I may be wrong, I see that you have asked this in the Q+A thread aswell and you should be able to get a accurate answer there :smile: I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help, if I was you I'd wait for a reply in the other thread.

Thanx a lot Jade.

Hi Jade! What band accommodation are you in and what do you think of it? The accommodation I saw at the open day wasn't as nice as the ones I saw at other unis but what's it like actually living in it? Do you have any criticisms?
Original post by Optimist_Prime
Hi Jade! What band accommodation are you in and what do you think of it? The accommodation I saw at the open day wasn't as nice as the ones I saw at other unis but what's it like actually living in it? Do you have any criticisms?

I'm in band d, in international house. I like where I am, the rooms are a reasonable size. All rooms in the same band are the same size, with one exception that band d rooms are slightly bigger at Manor park. The size of the kitchen will vary, as will how the accommodation is laid out. Generally the more people the bigger the kitchen, which makes sense. International house is one of the newer on campus accommodation though, I think it was opened in 2003, it has a reasonable size kitchen considering it's for 6 people on average, I'm not sure about others. Certainly gives me everything I need, I'm hoping to stay in international house next year as well :smile:
I'm in band d, in international house. I like where I am, the rooms are a reasonable size. All rooms in the same band are the same size, with one exception that band d rooms are slightly bigger at Manor park. The size of the kitchen will vary, as will how the accommodation is laid out. Generally the more people the bigger the kitchen, which makes sense. International house is one of the newer on campus accommodation though, I think it was opened in 2003, it has a reasonable size kitchen considering it's for 6 people on average, I'm not sure about others. Certainly gives me everything I need, I'm hoping to stay in international house next year as well :smile:

Do you have a common room or any shared space in your accommodation other than the kitchen?
Do you have a common room or any shared space in your accommodation other than the kitchen?

not in the actual accommodation block no, but there is a common room area at the reception. I suppose one of the downsides to the accommodation at Surrey that there isn't any sort of living room area with sofas and stuff, just the kitchen, as I said, in the accommodation anyways. I don't know how nice the common room is at the reception as I never really go there.
not in the actual accommodation block no, but there is a common room area at the reception. I suppose one of the downsides to the accommodation at Surrey that there isn't any sort of living room area with sofas and stuff, just the kitchen, as I said, in the accommodation anyways. I don't know how nice the common room is at the reception as I never really go there.

Do you know anyone in other houses with band d rooms who have had complaints? (Sorry for bombarding you with so many questions!!!)
Do you know anyone in other houses with band d rooms who have had complaints? (Sorry for bombarding you with so many questions!!!)

I personally haven't heard any complaints about accommodation, not that I remember anyways. I'm sure there are people who don't like the accommodation but I don't hear people complaining about it.
Original post by Gott
I think we're all technically current students on this forum and the 40 year old weirdos

But not all are current students at Surrey. That is why I set up this thread, because I am and I thought it'd give those chance who are thinking of coming here a chance to get answers from a student currently at the university.
I personally haven't heard any complaints about accommodation, not that I remember anyways. I'm sure there are people who don't like the accommodation but I don't hear people complaining about it.

Okay, thanks for answering my questions! you've been really helpful ^_^
Reply 14
Hi Jade!
I just wanted to find out if you got the first choice you wanted for accommodation? Do you think we will get the room we want?
Original post by Rose96_
Hi Jade!
I just wanted to find out if you got the first choice you wanted for accommodation? Do you think we will get the room we want?

Well, I did, but I had specific reasons for having a certain accommodation so you really can't go by me :P but from talking to others I think a lot of people got their first choice and if not second, so I wouldn't worry to much about it. If you don't get the accommodation you want and still want to change you can always do a room swap at the end of October but to be honest you don't want to do that unless you are desprite for a certain accommodation as it means moving your stuff all over again etc.
Reply 16
Well, I did, but I had specific reasons for having a certain accommodation so you really can't go by me :P but from talking to others I think a lot of people got their first choice and if not second, so I wouldn't worry to much about it. If you don't get the accommodation you want and still want to change you can always do a room swap at the end of October but to be honest you don't want to do that unless you are desprite for a certain accommodation as it means moving your stuff all over again etc.

Oh I'm glad to hear that! I really want to stay in manor park in the band f rooms, have you heard any complaints from other students about the band f rooms?
Original post by Rose96_
Oh I'm glad to hear that! I really want to stay in manor park in the band f rooms, have you heard any complaints from other students about the band f rooms?

I don't know about band f, there aren't many rooms of that bands of that type. I wouldn't pin your hopes on one of those rooms, there's only something like 40 rooms or something.
Reply 18
HIya, I have been offered a place on adult nursing.

I would like a band d room. Do you get a choice between stag hill and manor park and what area would you recommend?
Original post by Laurabr
HIya, I have been offered a place on adult nursing.

I would like a band d room. Do you get a choice between stag hill and manor park and what area would you recommend?

You don't get a choice between which campus, most band d rooms I think are actually at Manor park. I'm currently in a band d room in international house (and will be again next year) and I like it here. From what I've heard the rooms at Manor park are nicer as they are newer, but of course has the disadvantage of being off campus. I personally prefer where I am, it makes it very easy to get to lecture etc. and my accommodation is still fairly new.

Quick Reply

Latest