The Student Room Group

Car steams/fogs up on interior

Hello

I drive a Vauxhall Astra H but have a problem that bothers me. Every time I get into the car it tends to steam up, especially during the night when it's usually chillier. Okay so I tried every heater setting possible but non seem to get rid of the steam quick enough for me. I have to wait at least 5-10 mins before I could set off. Does anyone know of any products which I could use to quicken up the process of getting rid of steam or even prevent it from steaming up in the first place.

I was looking at this product, has anyone used anything similar and would it be useful: http://www.halfords.com/car-seats-travel-equipment/camping-caravanning/caravanning/air-dry-car-dehumidifier

Thank You

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes those reusable bags are very good. You need to recharge them quite often, but they're a cheap and easy way of solving the problem.

EDIT: there are similar products that you can recharge in the microwave, which is a lot faster and more reliable than a radiator. I'd suggest looking for one of those instead.
(edited 9 years ago)
Vauxhall's are notorious for this. Air con on full, full heat, recirculate OFF.

If it steams up whilst you're driving, you have moisture in the car aka a leak.
My Focus is exactly the same, takes like 5 minutes to clear and I end up getting impatient and not been able to see properly, less so now, but still not 100% visibility. Mine does it every day when I come to it on my way home from work, or if it isn't steamed up, it steams up once I get in.
Reply 4
Original post by ToastyCoke
Vauxhall's are notorious for this. Air con on full, full heat, recirculate OFF.

If it steams up whilst you're driving, you have moisture in the car aka a leak.

A Vauxhall thing? That explains it. I use my squeegee to wipe down all the windows before I set off. Gets a little tedious but better than waiting 10 mins for the windows to clear up
Original post by K-Nitro
A Vauxhall thing? That explains it. I use my squeegee to wipe down all the windows before I set off. Gets a little tedious but better than waiting 10 mins for the windows to clear up

My corsa exclusiv does it too. On a cold morning, look for a vauxhall on the street. Guarantee you it's 10x more steamed up than any other car. It's just ****ty venting systems and bad window seals.
Reply 6
It means you have moisture either locked inside the car, or getting in. The best way to solve it is to leave it in the sun with the windows open for a couple of hours to let the whole interior dry out and freshen up. Obviously sunshine is a bit of an issue at the moment.
Original post by SFeet
Hello

I drive a Vauxhall Astra H but have a problem that bothers me. Every time I get into the car it tends to steam up, especially during the night when it's usually chillier. Okay so I tried every heater setting possible but non seem to get rid of the steam quick enough for me. I have to wait at least 5-10 mins before I could set off. Does anyone know of any products which I could use to quicken up the process of getting rid of steam or even prevent it from steaming up in the first place.

I was looking at this product, has anyone used anything similar and would it be useful: http://www.halfords.com/car-seats-travel-equipment/camping-caravanning/caravanning/air-dry-car-dehumidifier

Thank You

My car is the same. I blast it with the aircon. If it's really bad I wipe it down beforehand, especially the back windows. I was thinking about getting a dehumidifier especially seeing as my sunroof used to leak so I know there used to be an issue.
Reply 9
Mine ices on the inside :frown:
I didn't know you could get dehumidifiers for cars though, might have to get one. Adding 15 minutes to a 75 minute drive to uni is not much fun!
I have a Corsa and have exactly the same issue. I just put the heater on full as soon as I get into the car, and I keep some kitchen roll in my door well and just wipe down the windscreen before I set off. I'm thinking of giving the bags a try.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Nothing compares to having a 1993 Rover mini parked outside overnight! :smile:

Some things to try:-

Always carry a microfibre cloth in the driver door pocket to wipe the inside of front windows (eg http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kent-Car-Care-Q6600-Micro/dp/B0046GXXDA/ref=sr_1_4?). if it gets damp/wet, take it out of the car to dry off but don't forget to take it back.

If at all possible, park it in a garage overnight.

Check you haven't got an obvious leak (eg round the windows). Can you see tracks of water on the rubber seals? Can you lift the carpets to see underneath - is there water under there?

Maybe a leak in the heater matrix? Is there the sweet smell of antifreeze or is there sticky water in the footwell?

Reply 12
Hi,

You should check for blockages under the scuttle board. This is the part of the car that water from the windscreen runs into. If you open the bonnet you should see a removable cover. The wells either side of the car normally have a drain plug that carries the water away. Problem is leaves etc get caught up and block the drain plug. Some cars, including Vauxhall may have the heater fan located in this well, hence putting the heater on essentially creates steam in the car.....happened to me many a time. Also check your boot seams in case water has got into boot.

Cheers!
Reply 13
As it's a vauxhall their is probs moisture in the car have u checked the floor in the drivers side footwell? (Common fault with vauxhalls)
[video="youtube;4t4mzMS-ZZ8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t4mzMS-ZZ8[/video]
I used to have this problem, I never realised it was a Vaxuahll thing.
Was really bad in my old Corsa, I did partially think it was because when I first got the car it had been for a valet and they left the seats soaking wet, I don't think it ever dried out properly. (It even used to ice over on the inside too) I've got an Adam now, and it's much better at getting rid of the steam but and although it's probably no where near as bad, i don't find it sometimes happens.

I used to use a microfibre cloth, but tbh the one I had was not very effective..
it is quite obvious from the replies so far that the clarksonscience / broscience is strong there

1. Unless a vehicle has a combustion heater or is fitted with mains powered engine preheat the heater does not work until the collant is wamred by the engine running

2.air conditioning is anot actually designed to chill air , it's designed to dry it the chilling is a beneficial side effect, when it is very cold however air conditioning may not work properly as the system protects itself from icing up the the condensor

3. increasing numbers of vehicles over the past 20 or so yearts have some form of filtration built into the cabin ventilation - these filters can become blocked / clogged over time and some are annoying / time consuming to replace / clean - so they don't get done.

4. if it's warm enough out for the air con to work fully setting the ventilation system to recirculation will help clear the car, if it;s below the temperature where the Air con protects itself from condensor icing or you aredriving a vehicle without air con set the ventilation to fresh

it's not a 'vauxhall thing' it's a operator idiocy thing - this is pure clarksonscience
Original post by zippyRN

it's not a 'vauxhall thing' it's a operator idiocy thing - this is pure clarksonscience

As somebody who has owned two Corsa C's and both of them had a brake master cylinder and a body control module leak, yes, its a vauxhall thing. Vauxhall's are notorious for having leaks. My 1.9 cdti astra started to do it and I took it right into Vauxhall and they said one of the door seals hadn't taken, which was a common issue and replaced it.

Oh and here's a picture from a few weeks ago of my runabout corsa exclusiv that I took to bits as the misting while driving was making the car so dangerous. Full interior stripped; seats, full trim, center console, handbrake disconnected, gearbox disconnected, carpet removed and replaced, full sound deadening foam replaced, electrics disconnected. Removed roughly 20 litres of water from the car footwells. So I'd say I have a pretty good idea that I know what I'm talking about. Be surprised if you've ever so much as changed your engine oil.

IMG_0837.jpg

For your number 3 points - a pollen filter will only cause the car to mist if it's damp. Not old.
[QUOTE=ToastyCoke;51943405. Be surprised if you've ever so much as changed your engine oil.

For your number 3 points - a pollen filter will only cause the car to mist if it's damp. Not old.

you really are an arrogant child aren't you ...

i've been driving, owning and maintaining cars for 20 years

you've really swallowed the full clarksonscience haven;t you ... there is huge reporting bias in the 'problems' with certain vehicles

are you suggesting a heavily clogged pollen filter allows the designed maximum volume / mass of air to flow to the interior and doesn't create issues with the ability of the HVAC to entrain air ?
Original post by zippyRN
you really are an arrogant child aren't you ...

i've been driving, owning and maintaining cars for 20 years

you've really swallowed the full clarksonscience haven;t you ... there is huge reporting bias in the 'problems' with certain vehicles

are you suggesting a heavily clogged pollen filter allows the designed maximum volume / mass of air to flow to the interior and doesn't create issues with the ability of the HVAC to entrain air ?

'Clarksonscience' doesn't make you sound intelligent at all. The pollen filter will cause a bad smell if it's old and the car is running. If the car is off, it will have no effect, which is what the OP is saying.

Completely ignore my point about owning vauxhall's AND STRIPPING THEM DOWN then. Nice one.

You've been maintaining cars for 20 years and you're on a student forum?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending