The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Racism in Aberdeen?

Hey guys,

I've been researching the University of Aberdeen for quite a while now and have been considering applying there to study English. It seems like a fantastic university and the English course is incredible, however i recently read an online article titled 'Aberdeen 'is worst city for racism' ', which has made me question my choice slightly...

I'm half Pakistani, half Indian and currently living in England, and so i have a feeling that i may be a pretty huge target if racism really is that bad over there. However i've also heard that there are plenty of international students attending the university, and so i'm not really sure what to think?

Advice from anybody who is familiar with the area would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by IshBishhh
Hey guys,

I've been researching the University of Aberdeen for quite a while now and have been considering applying there to study English. It seems like a fantastic university and the English course is incredible, however i recently read an online article titled 'Aberdeen 'is worst city for racism' ', which has made me question my choice slightly...

I'm half Pakistani, half Indian and currently living in England, and so i have a feeling that i may be a pretty huge target if racism really is that bad over there. However i've also heard that there are plenty of international students attending the university, and so i'm not really sure what to think?

Hi Im from around here and I wouldnt say theres any racism here hahah. I mean of course there are like certain areas of Aberdeen where its bad as to stuff of such but thats like everywhere. But dont worry mate its pretty chill here theres so many internationals here that I think everyone here is used to having all kinds of people here :smile: So I would say that there is no racism here - you can be safe and sound ! Hope I helped :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
Original post by guzz6
Hi Im from around here and I wouldnt say theres any racism here hahah. I mean of course there are like certain areas of Aberdeen where its bad as to stuff of such but thats like everywhere. But dont worry mate its pretty chill here theres so many internationals here that I think everyone here is used to having all kinds of people here :smile: So I would say that there is no racism here - you can be safe and sound ! Hope I helped :biggrin:

Haha that's such good news, I definitely wanted to put Aberdeen University down as my first choice before I read that article about it being a racist area, so thank you for clarifying. And for replying so fast! :smile: What is the nightlife like in Aberdeen for students if you don't mind me asking?
No probelm I was scrolling through so I thought that I might as well answer. Hope you get an uncondtional :smile: And well since Im still at secondary I wouldnt be able to tell you in much detail because I havent even experienced it myself hahaha ! But it seems like its really good with quite a few places to go to especially 'The Lemon Tree' it seems at nights that thats where many students go ( its like a bar with bands playing , comedians performing etc ) :biggrin: But one thing you should consider badly is whether you can afford accommodation here ! Aberdeen is REALLY expensive place to live in - an average 1 bedroom flat is like £450 if not even £500 per month !
(edited 9 years ago)
Haha that's such good news, I definitely wanted to put Aberdeen University down as my first choice before I read that article about it being a racist area, so thank you for clarifying. And for replying so fast! :smile: What is the nightlife like in Aberdeen for students if you don't mind me asking?

I found this thread about nightlife. It may be a little outdated since The Lemon Tree is not on it ? Or maybe Im just wrong hahaha :wink:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Aberdeen_Nightlife
Reply 5
I'll definitely keep a note of The Lemon Tree, thank's so much. I really want to get a feel of the environment, especially as i'll be coming from such a long way without any of my friends, and i have a feeling i'll be spending a lot of my uni life partying haha

Oh gosh i was worried about that, i heard that there was some trouble last year with accommodation for Aberdeen University too? Apparently they had 200-300 freshers without accommodation who had to live outside of the area, which is pretty daunting... i'm just hoping they've made changes to improve this year haha. I'm glad you've warned me about that though, i'm thinking it might be more sensible to try and move into a student-shared house instead? I'll do some research about costs :s-smilie:

I'm looking at the clubs that you linked me to now, they look great! I'm looking forward to it even more now, thanks so much for all your help :smile:
Reply 6
Hey guys,

I'm English and Aberdeen is my second home (mother lives up there) - I have never ever experienced any racism of any type. It's a very culturally diverse area as you said with many international students coming from Aberdeen Uni. I'm not sure where you saw the article or where it was based - I mean like any place there are parts of Aberdeen you'd probably want to avoid but in general it's a great city and I love it there :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by AdamCee
I'm English and Aberdeen is my second home (mother lives up there) - I have never ever experienced any racism of any type. It's a very culturally diverse area as you said with many international students coming from Aberdeen Uni. I'm not sure where you saw the article or where it was based - I mean like any place there are parts of Aberdeen you'd probably want to avoid but in general it's a great city and I love it there :smile:

That's great news, thanks so much for reassuring me. I was definitely sceptical as i know that Aberdeen University is renowned for having lots of international students, and so was totally confused by the article haha. As somebody who travels back and forth from Aberdeen, how do you find travel expenses? I'll be leaving my family back here in England, so i'm just wondering how regularly i'll be able to come back to visit :smile:
I'll definitely keep a note of The Lemon Tree, thank's so much. I really want to get a feel of the environment, especially as i'll be coming from such a long way without any of my friends, and i have a feeling i'll be spending a lot of my uni life partying haha

Oh gosh i was worried about that, i heard that there was some trouble last year with accommodation for Aberdeen University too? Apparently they had 200-300 freshers without accommodation who had to live outside of the area, which is pretty daunting... i'm just hoping they've made changes to improve this year haha. I'm glad you've warned me about that though, i'm thinking it might be more sensible to try and move into a student-shared house instead? I'll do some research about costs :s-smilie:

I'm looking at the clubs that you linked me to now, they look great! I'm looking forward to it even more now, thanks so much for all your help :smile:

Thats fine hahah :smile: The thing is that surely you will meet people in the same boat as you so Im sure you wont be lonely ! As to the clubs you shouldve seen Aberdeen during the freshers week hahaha ! There were like stickers, leaflets and even a few pairs of shoes ? :biggrin: all over the town centre hahaha

Aw yeah I remember my mum saying something about that ! From what I know they had to live quite a bit away from Aberdeen like 30 mins away in the suburbs ( which probably was awful since the bus tickets here are pricey as well - another downfall of aberdeen ). And I know that theres new accomondation being built at the moment next to Morrisons in Aberdeen ( literally in town centre :biggrin: ) But its right next to the UNITE accomondation so Im not sure whether its another flat by UNITE or whether its a specifc uni building it ? But yeah I think you'll be better off finding some other students to share a flat with - that way you'll save some money on bills etc. Good Luck with the research and if you have any other questions just ask them below :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by guzz6
I found this thread about nightlife. It may be a little outdated since The Lemon Tree is not on it ? Or maybe Im just wrong hahaha :wink:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Aberdeen_Nightlife

Oh gosh i was worried about that, i heard that there was some trouble last year with accommodation for Aberdeen University too? Apparently they had 200-300 freshers without accommodation who had to live outside of the area, which is pretty daunting... i'm just hoping they've made changes to improve this year haha. I'm glad you've warned me about that though, i'm thinking it might be more sensible to try and move into a student-shared house instead? I'll do some research about costs

I'm looking at the clubs that you linked me to now, they look great! I'm looking forward to it even more now, thanks so much for all your help
Reply 10
Original post by guzz6
Thats fine hahah :smile: The thing is that surely you will meet people in the same boat as you so Im sure you wont be lonely ! As to the clubs you shouldve seen Aberdeen during the freshers week hahaha ! There were like stickers, leaflets and even a few pairs of shoes ? :biggrin: all over the town centre hahaha

Aw yeah I remember my mum saying something about that ! From what I know they had to live quite a bit away from Aberdeen like 30 mins away in the suburbs ( which probably was awful since the bus tickets here are pricey as well - another downfall of aberdeen ). And I know that theres new accomondation being built at the moment next to Morrisons in Aberdeen ( literally in town centre :biggrin: ) But its right next to the UNITE accomondation so Im not sure whether its another flat by UNITE or whether its a specifc uni building it ? But yeah I think you'll be better off finding some other students to share a flat with - that way you'll save some money on bills etc. Good Luck with the research and if you have any other questions just ask them below :biggrin:

Yeah you're definitely right about that, in all honestly i'm quite looking forward to starting fresh in a new place, especially somewhere as beautiful as Aberdeen. I'll be sure to keep a firm hold on my shoes if i do end up there haha!

I'm glad that they've built new accommodation, but it is a bummer that bus fares are so expensive as i still haven't learnt how to drive... looks like i'll be living the bike-life :s-smilie: Morrisons is my regular supermarket over here though, so at least i'll still have some home comforts! :tongue:

I'll definitely keep that in mind and do further research, and if i have any questions i'll be sure to ask you first. Thanks again for all your help, and good luck with your GCSE's! :smile:
x

The only place where you shouldnt really look for a flat is in Torry. I mean that is like one of the very worst areas you can get youself into. Its dangerous ( especially at night , theres chavs and thefts etc ) and just overall pretty dodgy - so I wouldnt reccomend finding a place there even though the housing prices are cheaper than anywhere else but A) thats because its bad area and B) everyone is trying to move out of there oh and C) and many people have problems with damp there because most of torry is really old flats
Reply 12
Original post by guzz6
The only place where you shouldnt really look for a flat is in Torry. I mean that is like one of the very worst areas you can get youself into. Its dangerous ( especially at night , theres chavs and thefts etc ) and just overall pretty dodgy - so I wouldnt reccomend finding a place there even though the housing prices are cheaper than anywhere else but A) thats because its bad area and B) everyone is trying to move out of there oh and C) and many people have problems with damp there because most of torry is really old flats

aah okay i'll make a note of that, it sounds awful :frown: no wonder the accommodation's so cheap!
That's great news, thanks so much for reassuring me. I was definitely sceptical as i know that Aberdeen University is renowned for having lots of international students, and so was totally confused by the article haha. As somebody who travels back and forth from Aberdeen, how do you find travel expenses? I'll be leaving my family back here in England, so i'm just wondering how regularly i'll be able to come back to visit :smile:

No probs :smile:

And it depends really where you are and what method. I live just outside of London so I can either fly up which is about a 45 minute flight (Aberdeen has an airport if you didn't know) or take the train from Kings Cross direct to Aberdeen, start to finish. That's about 7-8 hours but I prefer the train as I can just sit and relax and don't really like flying - too much hassle haha.

In terms of price, I cannot remember the exact prices offhand but they're pretty reasonable, with the train being marginally cheaper than flying. Where abouts do you live?
x

Hahaha I dont have a clue how its possible to lose your shoes though ? Like could you not feel that your walking bare footed ? Hahaha
And yeah the bus fares are awful apprently theyre the highest in Scotland ( not sure whether thats true but it surely seems like it )
Go Morrisons ! Aw and they almost always are looking for new part time wokers :wink: Yeah torry is bad I mean if you wont be able to find a place it should be your ONLY last area of choice.... Also old aberdeen ( where the Aberdeen uni is situated ) that is made up of mostly old housing ( hence the name hahaha ) so I guess there can be major damp problems there as well but its safe and almost in town centre :smile:

Yeah if you just quote me with questions I can reply no problemo :smile: and well thanks I did my GCSE's last year so this year its A-Levels :/ - I have my prelims at the start of Jan. Woohoo revision of Christmas ...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by AdamCee
No probs :smile:

And it depends really where you are and what method. I live just outside of London so I can either fly up which is about a 45 minute flight (Aberdeen has an airport if you didn't know) or take the train from Kings Cross direct to Aberdeen, start to finish. That's about 7-8 hours but I prefer the train as I can just sit and relax and don't really like flying - too much hassle haha.

In terms of price, I cannot remember the exact prices offhand but they're pretty reasonable, with the train being marginally cheaper than flying. Where abouts do you live?

I live in Coventry, as does the rest of my family. I think i'll stick to catching the train too, getting a flight back home does sounds pretty luxurious but it just seems like a lot of hassle :s-smilie: I'll definitely stay away from coaches though, it says online that it can take up to 18 hours! That sounds like waaaay too much stress haha, I'm fine with travelling but that's just a tad too extreme for me :tongue: I'll look further into train and flight prices through, could you tell me around how much it would usually cost for you to catch a train?
I live in Coventry, as does the rest of my family. I think i'll stick to catching the train too, getting a flight back home does sounds pretty luxurious but it just seems like a lot of hassle :s-smilie: I'll definitely stay away from coaches though, it says online that it can take up to 18 hours! That sounds like waaaay too much stress haha, I'm fine with travelling but that's just a tad too extreme for me :tongue: I'll look further into train and flight prices through, could you tell me around how much it would usually cost for you to catch a train?

Yeah I finds trains great - I just sit and do some work that needs doing. Just remember to book a ticket when you do..!

Coming from Coventry I'm not 100% which train line you'd take - I go by East Coast which passes from London up through York, Newcastle, Edinburgh into Aberdeen but you would be sort of the other side of that. I'm struggling to give a rough price guide as it depends on/off peak among other things but generally, for me, it's £40-£60 iirc, but then I have a child's ticket as I can still just get away with that haha. Although I think for adult tickets it's roughly £70-£100. But my journey I think would be a little longer than yours so perhaps would be cheaper
Reply 17
Yeah I finds trains great - I just sit and do some work that needs doing. Just remember to book a ticket when you do..!
Coming from Coventry I'm not 100% which train line you'd take - I go by East Coast which passes from London up through York, Newcastle, Edinburgh into Aberdeen but you would be sort of the other side of that. I'm struggling to give a rough price guide as it depends on/off peak among other things but generally, for me, it's £40-£60 iirc, but then I have a child's ticket as I can still just get away with that haha. Although I think for adult tickets it's roughly £70-£100. But my journey I think would be a little longer than yours so perhaps would be cheaper

I'm quite short for my age so i reckon i might be able to scrape getting a child's ticket haha, i'll definitely give it a try. That's not as pricey as i expected it to be so that's really great news, and i'll be sure to book my tickets in advance whenever i possibly can to get the best price. You've been so much help, thanks a lot! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending