The Student Room Group

Best apprentices?

What are the best apprentices out there, in terms of salary and future prospects?
Pharmaceuticals x
Reply 2
Original post by adam.100
What are the best apprentices out there, in terms of salary and future prospects?

You might as well ask which is the best career path tbh.

And I don't think theres an answer to it. I suppose if you meant potential earnings once qualified i'd probably be accountancy or something similar.

However apprenticeships are only a foundation to a career. I know of a apprentice joiner who started his own firm once he qualified and is now a millionaire. Its not so much which career you chose its what you do with it. If your dedicated and motivated to been the best in your field im pretty sure you can make a lot of money in any career so pick an apprenticeship your interested in rather than potential earnings.

However make sure you pick wisely as well as some apprenticeships are pure cheap labour. To avoid: apprenticeships less than a few years long, that could be performed by any un skilled worker and have a poor learner retention rates (how many complete it). Chances are if only 30% stick at it theres likely a reason for it and you probably wont either.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by adam.100

If I give you a lay down of what my Apprenticeship is, what I earn and where I am it may help.

6 Months ago I took an apprenticeship at Robert Bion Engineering in Reading, They're putting me through my HND/HNC and my degree all expenses paid, I started on 16k a year, since then have been promoted twice and am now on 34k with a all exspenses covered company car.

Admittedly I've put some serious work in to get here but it's a very fruitful career to get into... I have doors open to me everywhere with a general Engineering degree ( Covers mechanical and Electrical ) It's not just defined to Engineering, I can go mechanics, manufacturing, technician, it, anywhere My qualifications are relevant, plus I'll have years of experience behind me....

Go to http://www.solent.ac.uk/career-coach/careercoach.aspx it will show you all the various career paths with salary info from the last 5 years, requirement for new work and how to get there ( Educational paths) It's from Southampton Solent ( My uni) and is what I used...

Hope it helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending