The Student Room Group

DSA insurance claim - advice?

Hi guys,
I received a MacBook through DSA. After a few months of having it I dropped it and it's bent one of the corners (not a biggy) but the corner of the screen has gone a little weird (almost as if you're pressing on it).

Just wondering if anyone has claimed insurance on their Macs/Laptops? Is it long winded and can they refuse? It does have a 4 year long insurance coverage which also covers accidental damage.

Advice?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ATDENT
Hi guys,
I received a MacBook through DSA. After a few months of having it I dropped it and it's bent one of the corners (not a biggy) but the corner of the screen has gone a little weird (almost as if you're pressing on it).

Just wondering if anyone has claimed insurance on their Macs/Laptops? Is it long winded and can they refuse? It does have a 4 year long insurance coverage which also covers accidental damage.

Advice?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

As part of your DSA equipment you will have received accidental damage cover, so contact your supplier and they can advise you how to make a claim, or provide details of the insurance company. As its a damage claim they aren't obliged to provide a loan machine while yours is away. I'd advise you back up any content from your laptop. Timescales are dependent on the insurance company and outside the control of DSA.
Reply 2
Original post by NJones
As part of your DSA equipment you will have received accidental damage cover, so contact your supplier and they can advise you how to make a claim, or provide details of the insurance company. As its a damage claim they aren't obliged to provide a loan machine while yours is away. I'd advise you back up any content from your laptop. Timescales are dependent on the insurance company and outside the control of DSA.

Have you had any experience? I did contact them and I have to fill out a form so they can make a decision. Do you know if they can refuse to cover it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mine had water damage and got replaced after they had it MONTHS.
Reply 4
Original post by balotelli12
Mine had water damage and got replaced after they had it MONTHS.

Argh! I read that they can take up to 28 days but can't go without it for any longer :/ especially months.

Where did you get your equipment? And who was the insurer? I got mine from Iansyst (I think).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by ATDENT
Have you had any experience? I did contact them and I have to fill out a form so they can make a decision. Do you know if they can refuse to cover it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a DSA Assessor and often help students with claims etc. The supp;suppliers have to stick to a framework document which specifies response times etc, but often the insurnace part of their work is done by a third party
Reply 6
Original post by NJones
I'm a DSA Assessor and often help students with claims etc. The supp;suppliers have to stick to a framework document which specifies response times etc, but often the insurnace part of their work is done by a third party

Hi, I did have to give dates/times etc. do you know if they can refuse to fix it as it was done by myself (accidental)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by ATDENT
Hi, I did have to give dates/times etc. do you know if they can refuse to fix it as it was done by myself (accidental)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The cover should include accidental damage so it should not be an issues if its been dropped spilt liquid on etc. The only issue I came across is that its just damage by the student that is covered. I had one student who had her laptop broken when a washing machine repairman knocked it over, this wasn't covered but she was advised to use the repairment!
Reply 8
Original post by NJones
The cover should include accidental damage so it should not be an issues if its been dropped spilt liquid on etc. The only issue I came across is that its just damage by the student that is covered. I had one student who had her laptop broken when a washing machine repairman knocked it over, this wasn't covered but she was advised to use the repairment!

It was my own fault (dropped my laptop bag). Do you know how long it can take up to? I've heard it could take over a month.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
?How did you get a mac

Original post by ATDENT
Hi guys,

Advice?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M-V12
?How did you get a mac

It was years ago, if you look at the date. You're highly unlikely to get one now; policies have changed.

Latest