The Student Room Group
Reply 1
shinytoy
can i still qualify as a barrister if i graduate in July 2007, finish the BVC in July 2008? or do i need a pupillage?

I thought you had a graduate job offer from Deloitte for your 'dream job'? :confused:
shinytoy
can i still qualify as a barrister if i graduate in July 2007, finish the BVC in July 2008? or do i need a pupillage?

I know you have posted in the relevant section but you have more chance of getting an answer in the 'Law' forum
Reply 3
As far as I know you have to do a 1 year pupilage before you can qualify. So if you comeplete your BVC in July 2008 you will have to find a chambers who will accept you on their pupilage scheme, do 6 months shadowing/junior barrister work and 6 months chamber admin work before you can qualify. So basically you could qualify in July 2009. BUT pupilage places are quite difficult to find. Have you considered manybe doing some mini-pupilages (1 week work experience) with some chambers in your time off uni? These may lead to a pupilage.
Reply 4
You have to do a pupilliage.
Reply 5
on the first point - yes i do have a job with Deloitte.

i know all barristers need a pupillage to be a practising barrister, but just to be 'called to the Bar', currently you just need the BVC. however in 2008, no one will be 'called to the bar' or allowed to call themself a barrister without the pupillage. however im trying to find out, does this apply to those finishing the BVC actually in 2008?

Latest

Trending

Trending