The Student Room Group

Drop out and transfer, or finish?

I'm in the third year of my degree (physics) at a university that is quite bad. So far I've got first class marks in almost every module and my parents are pushing me to finish. I've become comfortable and set in my ways but I have never liked it here and if I'm honest I don't want a degree from here. My A levels were beyond the entry requirements (not that they matter now). I have offers for third year entry (September 2015) from Queen Mary, Royal Holloway and possibly the university of Nottingham (still waiting for confirmation). Obviously these are all good universities but I just don't know if I should just finish this degree now. My parents will be upset, and I'll have to wait 9 months to begin the third year again. I don't know if it's reckless to leave considering my good grades?

edit: I would have transferred this summer but the universities mentioned all told me third year entry wasn't possible. It was only when I followed it up again in September that the admissions tutors told me differently, and by then it was too late.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Have you been formally given the offers on ucas or so? Wait until you have and then accept them.
Reply 2
Yes for some (I had to decline them on ucas because it was too late). For the others it's a verbal offer but the tutors checked if it is possible.
It wouldn't be a bad idea, but obviously you need to get concrete offers and have accepted another offer before dropping out.

Have you thought about discussing this with your parents before you drop out? It's always nice to get stuff off your chest and it means that you won't have a potential backlash when it comes out of the blue.
Reply 4
Original post by Roving Fish
It wouldn't be a bad idea, but obviously you need to get concrete offers and have accepted another offer before dropping out.

Have you thought about discussing this with your parents before you drop out? It's always nice to get stuff off your chest and it means that you won't have a potential backlash when it comes out of the blue.

I've had a discussion with them and my dad isn't happy about the idea at all, but I think they would come to terms with it since I am still going to finish the degree anyway. The thing is they have no idea how poor the university is. I use a lab for my project and the facilities are appalling (missing or broken patched up equipment, having to put a brick in front of the door so I don't get locked in...). Anyway thanks for the reply. I'm still waiting for a reply from one of the universities. I think it's going to take courage more than anything.
Original post by fedz
I've had a discussion with them and my dad isn't happy about the idea at all, but I think they would come to terms with it since I am still going to finish the degree anyway. The thing is they have no idea how poor the university is. I use a lab for my project and the facilities are appalling (missing or broken patched up equipment, having to put a brick in front of the door so I don't get locked in...). Anyway thanks for the reply. I'm still waiting for a reply from one of the universities. I think it's going to take courage more than anything.

What university is this?
Could you do a masters at one of those universities instead?
Original post by Helloworld_95

The thing about this is it'd be extra money at the end of the day. If the OP decides to drop out and transfer then he won't have to pay anywhere near the costs needed to do a masters. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Helloworld_95

It's an option but it's only worth doing a masters if it improves your prospects. At the moment I don't know what I want to do. Also, unless I stay at home I may be reliant on a bursary (if they exist) or a loan. For example I looked at an MSc in medical physics and the tuition ranges from £6000-£10,000. If I wanted to do that course at somewhere really good like UCL, I could pay for the tuition but I wouldn't have anything to live on.

If you want to know which university I go to I'll send a pm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending