The Student Room Group

GCSE resits from home?

Hey guys,

I posted a little while back about wanting to study medicine, having fluffed all my GCSE exams due to mental illness (Social anxiety, ditched school, only got one C) and had some good feedback.

Anyway if discovered access to medicine courses that allow for people who do not possess A-Levels, which Is ideal for me as it mean I won't have to delay a further 2 years.

But to get on the access course I need both Maths & English at C grade GCSE. I got a C in English first time around, but not maths, meaning this time around I need an A (Not a problem. I don't need any formal qualifications in science, but I'll also be redoing all sciences to help me stand out when applying)

My question is can I study GCSE's at home, without any College/School tuition, and still book my self in for the proper exams?

I'm currently studying GCSE Chemistry independently and finding it pretty easy, considering I got an E in my first GCSE exam, I feel I could already surpass this after 3 weeks of independent study than 4 years of secondary school.

I don't want to waste time attending a college for GCSE's I can comfortably manage on my own (I want to be using that time to gain a year or two work experience in the NHS and possibly a care home), or have to spend £££'s on online courses

Am I able to pay and just attend the exams, and skip the time consuming lessons?
Some colleges are open centres where you can arrange to take the exams without attending classes there. The main issue you would have is completing the coursework components. Some exam boards have alternative syllabuses where the coursework is marked by the exam board instead of a teacher; but doing the practical elements for the sciences may be difficult, you would need to look into whether this is possible.
Reply 2
Original post by theresheglows
Some colleges are open centres where you can arrange to take the exams without attending classes there. The main issue you would have is completing the coursework components. Some exam boards have alternative syllabuses where the coursework is marked by the exam board instead of a teacher; but doing the practical elements for the sciences may be difficult, you would need to look into whether this is possible.

Thanks for the reply!

I hadn't even considered the coursework for science. Blast! Highly doubt I could work my way around the practical examinations. Science isn't mandatory for the particular access course I'm looking to attend, but I bet it will greatly improve my chances.

Can't recall there being any coursework for maths? All final year exams if I remember?

Guess I'll have to contact the college and see what my options are.
Try aqa they do double science course code 8404 no coursework or assessment just 6 exams thats what I am doing try calling secondary schools and ask if they will allow you to do the exam at their school as a private/external candidate also state that this is an option that's been varified by aqa and is viable.

That's the only way I've found the option but won't be confirmed until 18th of December at a school near me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
There are various IGCSE/Level1/2 certificates which are directly equivalent to GCSEs in every way - except no coursework. The Edexcel versions are the commonest - so the IGCSE chemistry is code 4CH0 - 2 papers. Also Cambridge CIE and AQA do their own versions. The key thing is to find an exam centre first - as there is no point in studying for one syllabus and finding a centre only offers the other.

Maths GCSE is straightforward and easy to learn on your own if you are at all logical - but again - find an exam centre first!
Original post by jkb1955
There are various IGCSE/Level1/2 certificates which are directly equivalent to GCSEs in every way - except no coursework. The Edexcel versions are the commonest - so the IGCSE chemistry is code 4CH0 - 2 papers. Also Cambridge CIE and AQA do their own versions. The key thing is to find an exam centre first - as there is no point in studying for one syllabus and finding a centre only offers the other.

Maths GCSE is straightforward and easy to learn on your own if you are at all logical - but again - find an exam centre first!

Exam centre being a school/college????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Probably - but it can be hard to find someone to say yes! What part of the country are you in?
Original post by vickie89uk
Exam centre being a school/college????

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending