The Student Room Group

Article: Nick Clegg speaks to The Student Room

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PetrosAC
In all fairness, what could Clegg and Co do when half the Labour party agreed to the raise in tuition fees too?

Pretty sure nearly all of Labour voted against it? I'll dig out the figures but I think it would've failed without Lib Dem support.
In all fairness, what could Clegg and Co do when half the Labour party agreed to the raise in tuition fees too?

As I thought, the Bill passed with a majority of 21. Had the 28 Lib Dems who voted in favour and the 8 who abstained opposed it, it would have quite comfortably failed.
Original post by Green_Pink
As I thought, the Bill passed with a majority of 21. Had the 28 Lib Dems who voted in favour and the 8 who abstained opposed it, it would have quite comfortably failed.

The Lib Dem's had signed an agreement stating that they would abstain rather than vote against any Rise in Tuition fees. Even if all the Lib Dem MP's has abstained, the Bill would have passed as the Tories still would have had a majority of 24.

Edit: Agreed to Abstain or Vote with the Tories.
(edited 9 years ago)
The Lib Dem's had signed an agreement stating that they would abstain rather than vote against any Rise in Tuition fees. Even if all the Lib Dem MP's has abstained, the Bill would have passed as the Tories still would have had a majority of 24.

They're pledge before the election, as shown in that absolutely infamous photo of Clegg with his signature on the NUS placard, was to "vote against any rise in fees". The coalition agreement I think included backbenchers abstaining, but that was not what they'd told the electorate. Effectively, the House of Commons we democratically elected was in natural opposition to the £9K fees (if all MPs had a free vote), but the Lib Dems allowed it to pass so they could get into government.

And if it wasn't for the Lib Dems, University graduates would have to pay back Tuition Fee loans straight away, rather than only after they're earning £21,000
And if it wasn't for the Lib Dems, University graduates would have to pay back Tuition Fee loans straight away, rather than only after they're earning £21,000

Not true at all - they never had to be paid back straight away in the pre-2012 scheme.
Not true at all - they never had to be paid back straight away in the pre-2012 scheme.

My bad, after £15k.

Students would repay the loans after graduation, and only when they are earning more than £21,000. Repayments would be made at a rate of 9% on any income above £21,000. Any debt not repaid after 30 years would be written off. For comparison, the current system demands repayments of 9% on income above £15,000, and debt is written off after 25 years.

My bad, after £15k.

Students would repay the loans after graduation, and only when they are earning more than £21,000. Repayments would be made at a rate of 9% on any income above £21,000. Any debt not repaid after 30 years would be written off. For comparison, the current system demands repayments of 9% on income above £15,000, and debt is written off after 25 years.

The end result was still a rise in fees, and average repayments, when they'd promised to vote against it. I think as soon as they did that after making such a massive, massive deal about it for close to a decade they'd signed their own death warrent.
The end result was still a rise in fees, and average repayments, when they'd promised to vote against it. I think as soon as they did that after making such a massive, massive deal about it for close to a decade they'd signed their own death warrent.

Oh, I agree with that. I think they could have fought it a lot harder. But my point is, they did try to fight it. And yeah, I can't see the Lib Dems being the third party in the next general election.
Oh, I agree with that. I think they could have fought it a lot harder. But my point is, they did try to fight it. And yeah, I can't see the Lib Dems being the third party in the next general election.

They did, but to be honest trying wasn't enough for me. Maybe I'm a harsh critic but I think there was a red line which Clegg didn't just cross but did an Olympic sized long jump over. I wouldn't rule out ever supporting them in the future, but not any time soon.
I like these responses, they're detailed and feel frank to me, which I appreciate. I am also extremely appreciative of the fact Nick Clegg has taken the time to come onto TSR and address our members. It's been interesting to read his points too. I'd like to hear more from Ed Milliband and David Cameron now.
Original post by Arkasia
At the moment, I am keeping my options open between the Conservatives, Green or UKIP until I learn more about each party and it's policies for the future. Not Labour or Lib Dems, though.

Completely agree with you, those would be the three parties I would be considering if I lived in the UK.
Original post by Captain Jack
I like these responses, they're detailed and feel frank to me, which I appreciate. I am also extremely appreciative of the fact Nick Clegg has taken the time to come onto TSR and address our members. It's been interesting to read his points too. I'd like to hear more from Ed Milliband and David Cameron now.

We've already had Ed Miliband on TSR, it wasn't great TBH.
"You’ll know that my party wasn’t able to stop the recent rise in fees. It wasn’t possible. Not when both Labour and the Tories were determined to increase them, and not at a time when there is so little money around."

http://www.libdemvoice.org/tuition-fees-how-liberal-democrat-mps-voted-22346.html

Yet the majority of Lib Dems who did vote, voted in favour of the tuition fee rise, Nick Clegg included. This guy is pathetic, what he says means nothing.
Some of your responses are good, garden cities are a nice touch. I have no problems with a Lab/Lib coalition because I know you have a dirty job in coalition with Tories.

That said, I'm really disappointed that my question on private medical schools hasn't been fully appreciated, as it a huge concern with the student BMA council on which I sit. We shouldn't be encouraging private universities charging outrageous fees making it about ability to pay, not ability, as you say.
Oh here's an idea...

Why don't you implement a millionaire's 100% inheritance tax law, a debt cancellation, social capitalism where the macrostructure of the economy is controlled by publicly accountable officials but the microstructure of the economy is left private?
Reply 56
Original post by Captain Jack

I'd like to hear from Nigel Farage and Natalie Bennett also.

I think it would be good if TSR could do what the mainstream media seems reluctant to do and give the Greens a platform. In the interests of democracy and allowing all sides of the equation to have their say, I think it would be equitable to hear from Farage and UKIP also.

Both parties are polling strongly, so it would make sense to have something from them.
They did, but to be honest trying wasn't enough for me. Maybe I'm a harsh critic but I think there was a red line which Clegg didn't just cross but did an Olympic sized long jump over. I wouldn't rule out ever supporting them in the future, but not any time soon.

While Clegg was clearly stupid in pledging something he lacked the strength to fight for in negotiations there was only only ever going to be one choice made given the choice between tuition fees and being in government for the first time in 80 years.

Lets remember that he could not have voted against a 6 month old coalition and that the Liberals had their membership vote on the coalition and by extension coalition agreement.

He'll hold Sheffield Hallam given the one poll done there and the wider polling suggesting little movement in Lib-Tory seats.
Original post by Rakas21
While Clegg was clearly stupid in pledging something he lacked the strength to fight for in negotiations there was only only ever going to be one choice made given the choice between tuition fees and being in government for the first time in 80 years.

Lets remember that he could not have voted against a 6 month old coalition and that the Liberals had their membership vote on the coalition and by extension coalition agreement.

He'll hold Sheffield Hallam given the one poll done there and the wider polling suggesting little movement in Lib-Tory seats.

For me it's even worse that the entire party voted to go ahead and break the promise, they might have been able to reclaim some credibility if they could've just blamed it on a rogue leader.

And Ashcroft's poll today actually shows Labour within 3 points of the Lib Dems in Hallam, if anyone takes it it'll be Labour not the Tories.
For me it's even worse that the entire party voted to go ahead and break the promise, they might have been able to reclaim some credibility if they could've just blamed it on a rogue leader.

And Ashcroft's poll today actually shows Labour within 3 points of the Lib Dems in Hallam, if anyone takes it it'll be Labour not the Tories.

Sure but your asking your party to vote against accomplishing anything for the first time in 80 years. Surely the tax threshold and pupil premium are a price worth paying, you've got like 70% of your manifesto for the one public sacrifice.

Never saw that poll, will check it now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending