The Student Room Group

Article: Nick Clegg speaks to The Student Room

As part of the Parliament Week activity, the TSR community pulled together some questions to ask leading politicians in the run-up to the General Election.

Nick Clegg, Deputy Prime Minister and Leader of the Liberal Democrats, has answered your questions!
Check out below what Nick Clegg has to say to the TSR Community.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=9509-Nick-Clegg-Speaks-to-The-Student-Room!!!

Scroll to see replies

I'm not convinced by a lot of the responses from Nick Clegg here. It's certainly not enticed me to vote Lib Dem in May 2015, and that seems to be the opinion of my colleagues at university.

I'm interested to see all party manifestos, but I don't expect the Lib Dems to retain a lot of their seats in the upcoming elections. Especially for votes that were made by the student population.
Reply 2
You and your party will deserve everything you get at the next election. I'll raise a wry smile if you lose a half or more of your seats.
How do you intend to increase social mobility in the UK?

Do you also intend to cut welfare?
**** clegg.
(edited 9 years ago)
As Nigel Farage said, you need a microscope to see the amount of Lib Dems voters.
Lib Dems only got an appalling 200 more votes than the Monster Raving Loony Party in the Rochester elections.
I think that speaks for itself.
Why do you wear a yellow tie in a plain colour? You could wear a tie with sunflowers or something cool instead.
You stabbed your supporters in the back last election, and now provide no incentive for anyone to support you. You're just thatcherism-lite.
Are 4) and 5) slightly politer versions of what I asked? Obviously the responses are as unhelpful as usual. I mean congratulations for introducing a 5p charge on plastic bags but that really isn't going to save the environment. I have some sympathy for Clegg because I do genuinely believe that they'd have liked to have done more, but so say that he doesn't accept point 4 at all is just silly.

And Clegg's "clear, strong commitment" to protecting the UK science and research budget really doesn't seem to be manifesting itself well in the research community...
That convinced me not to vote Lib Dem.
Reply 10
Don't think ill ever vote for the lib dems.
Will never vote Lib dems again.
1. Over the duration of the last few governments, tuition fees have continued to rise. What does the Liberal Democrats Party intend to do about this? How would a Lib Dem government support students and make education more accessible?

a) We wouldn't, but let me remind you how much worse it would be if we hadn't been so amazing in the first place only trebling them!

I'll be voting lib dem as will my family and some of my friends. People are living in a fantasyland of they expect parties to deliver every single one of their policies as a smaller coalition partner if your voting ukip or greens. As for the Tories and Labour nick is right: labour ignores economic s and the Tories ignore everything but economics,
Labour: simply not very credible economically and seem to just chunder along expecting to win.

Tories: a rich mans ukip. Have made a mess in Europe and are back to the same old nasty party.

Ukip: the party that's happy to sit next to neo nazis in the EU, want to scrap human rights and generally appeal to bigoted failures that blame immigration for their own inadequacies. Outright liars: watch farage squirm on LBC Radio.

Greens/ some nice policies but are living in a fantasy in terms of the British economy.

Lib dems : couldn't deliver on tuition fees but managed everything else.

I know who I'd vote for.
Original post by Davij038
I'll be voting lib dem as will my family and some of my friends. People are living in a fantasyland of they expect parties to deliver every single one of their policies as a smaller coalition partner if your voting ukip or greens. As for the Tories and Labour nick is right: labour ignores economic s and the Tories ignore everything but economics,

That may be so but voting for Lib Dems is a wasted vote. Their popularity has recently experienced a turbulent crash, with UKIP rising from the ashes. Your vote will not stimulate any change within the political system.
Labour: simply not very credible economically and seem to just chunder along expecting to win.

Tories: a rich mans ukip. Have made a mess in Europe and are back to the same old nasty party.

Ukip: the party that's happy to sit next to neo nazis in the EU, want to scrap human rights and generally appeal to bigoted failures that blame immigration for their own inadequacies. Outright liars: watch farage squirm on LBC Radio.

Greens/ some nice policies but are living in a fantasy in terms of the British economy.

Lib dems : couldn't deliver on tuition fees but managed everything else.

I know who I'd vote for.

What else? The only thing that really comes to mind is the increase in the personal allowance which was backed by the Tories anyway. It's far from just tuition fees where they sold out their principles (see: VAT, welfare, etc).

I agree, it is pure fantasy to think that a democratically elected party would uphold the promises they make, and the promises that the public vote for. It's pure nonsense to think that a party would actually do what they said they would, and it is even more stupid to even consider the notion that said party would, in fact, keep their promise on ANY of their policies!
Original post by studentiam
That may be so but voting for Lib Dems is a wasted vote. Their popularity has recently experienced a turbulent crash, with UKIP rising from the ashes. Your vote will not stimulate any change within the political system.

They held in Eastleigh despite having a by election caused by scandal. They have even gained councillors in the last few months. Obviously they got hammered in the EU elections but unfortunately this is a result of the backlash felt by all pro EU parties- support for the EU has now increased and as the economy stabilises will no longer be a factor.

They have lost some support but all of the three parties have. Obviously in some places yes they've got no chance but I think people will be surprised at how the lib dems fair in the GE. Please be aware that media outlets like the Mail who hate the lib dems are trying to frame the debate.
Original post by Arkasia
I agree, it is pure fantasy to think that a democratically elected party would uphold the promises they make, and the promises that the public vote for. It's pure nonsense to think that a party would actually do what they said they would, and it is even more stupid to even consider the notion that said party would, in fact, keep their promise on ANY of their policies!

Oh come on even parties that get a majority can't manage to deliver every single one of their promises.

Here's what they've done: http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/50462179

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending