The Student Room Group

People at Uni are so fake! Is it just me? How to make fun of it?

Scroll to see replies

What uni are you at?
Original post by yo radical one
It sounds like you are bitter you are not in with their clique more than anything. The way you talk, I can tell with a very high level of certainty this is it, you don't really care that they are "fake", you are just pissed you are not the centreman of the group.

If you don't "click with" certain people, you don't have to be their friends, but you don't have to spend your life complaining about them either; if they're as bad as you say, they'll fall eventually.

Er I am more than in the clique, I just don't like the structure of cliques at uni. I'm only staying a part of the clique to remain with the crowd and maintain some friends, otherwise you end up looking and feeling like a social outcast.
Original post by Clip
How is any of this "fake"?

This is as real as it gets. This is real life. This is what people are like.

In what sense do you think that post-graduation, things won't be exactly the same, if not worse?

Well in my time outside of University, of which I have spent several years - people were more real. It makes sense because outside of high school/university you can't really take it easy. You have to go out there and find a job and pay your rent. At school/uni people think they are invincible because they haven't had to be responsbile for themselves yet. Things change.
Reply 63
Original post by le_darkhorse
Well in my time outside of University, of which I have spent several years - people were more real. It makes sense because outside of high school/university you can't really take it easy. You have to go out there and find a job and pay your rent. At school/uni people think they are invincible because they haven't had to be responsbile for themselves yet. Things change.

You must have had quite a sheltered existence if the people you met outside of university aren't selfish, lazy, duplicitous and obsequious. That's like the dictionary definition of the workplace.
Original post by Clip
You must have had quite a sheltered existence if the people you met outside of university aren't selfish, lazy, duplicitous and obsequious. That's like the dictionary definition of the workplace.

You clearly don't understand my post and keep feeling the need to resort to trying to lower me. I won't waste my time anymore.
Reply 65
Original post by le_darkhorse

Agree with you 100%

People seem to think they're all that and behave very oddly.

They act so fake and there seem to be hundreds of little cliques. Would rather the friendly with all atmosphere, but it's not the case, at least not in london.
So glad someone else has noticed this! I'm 22 in my first year and I live with 2 girls and 3 lads all in third year. They are so cliquey and unbelievably immature considering they are 21. When I'm talking to them I feel like they're constantly looking at eachother like there's some weird inside joke or something. Or that when they say something in conversation, they're looking at each other for approval. It's like they're trying to out-do/ impress each other. It's really rude, weird and uncomfortable.

They don't say much to me when I'm sat with them yet as soon as my boyfriend, sister or friend is over they are acting like they are some kind of social butterfly, like all nicey nicey and trying to play up to someone they're clearly not. It's totally superficial and annoying as I can't relate to why anyone would want to act that way as I also don't try to be someone I'm not. They're two faced, they **** someone off then the next minute they're all having pres together.

My course mates are the same, except for about a handful who are my age and are genuinely nice. Majority of students I've come across are in this little bubble where they want to seem like they have all the friends in the world, then add you on Facebook but ignore you face-to-face. We've been on nights out when we first moved in but now that I'm getting to know them I can't deal with their fakesness it's really irritating. I've decided I'd rather not get invited than hang around with fake, two faced, superficial people because I really don't want to turn into that kind of person just to get 'socially accepted'. Having worked full time for a couple of years before uni, I can safely say that when they get a job after uni, the workplace will hit them like a ton of bricks
People in general are fake. :tongue:
This world has about 7.5 billion people on it and counting. Many of those people are great, others are fake, others need to mature and become great, others are always going to be absolute pains.

You're probably one of those unlucky people who hasn't managed to find any 'real' friends at uni. I have plenty of fake people I know at uni, just like I had in school and I accepted that I probably won't be friends with them after I graduate. Bit I've also made a few friends I see having in my life in 20 years time.

People are fake. Get over it. You'll find the non-fake ones when you least expect it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
This world has about 7.5 billion people on it and counting. Many of those people are great, others are fake, others need to mature and become great, others are always going to be absolute pains.

You're probably one of those unlucky people who hasn't managed to find any 'real' friends at uni. I have plenty of fake people I know at uni, just like I had in school and I accepted that I probably won't be friends with them after I graduate. Bit I've also made a few friends I see having in my life in 20 years time.

People are fake. Get over it. You'll find the non-fake ones when you least expect it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol why do I feel hearbroken knowing this??
hey, you said this 6 years ago. today i had the same experience at my first day in uni- everyone started hating me for having my own opinions and speaking my mind. anyways, i hope you made out of uni well and are doing better than you were 6 years ago. thank you for this- made me feel less lonely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending