The Student Room Group

People at Uni are so fake! Is it just me? How to make fun of it?

Just my thoughts about Uni really. I feel like the enviornment is just a bubble and it operates around structured cliques. If you go out into the real world, it simply doesn't work like this. I'm 22 so a little older than most of my 18/19 year old peers/friends.

I dislike my flatmates. They are selfish, leave their food everywhere and have never invited me to anything even though I have got them out. Partially they do this because they just haven't invited me and partially because 1 or 2 flatmate on't have their own friends.

But my general point is the fakeness of people. I don't know if I'm overthinking but I just see so much 'sucking up'. Certain people trying to act a a certain way in front of certain people to get a certain status. Even in my friendship group I have someone like this who is dividing the group. I feel like after 5 weeks or so it became very cliquey. I would try to say hello or smile at people and be friendly but they would ignore (but ironically add me on facebook). People try to be someone they are not.

Infact there's people on Facebook who added me and in real life they completely ignore me. It's weird.

Being a bit older I can recognise that the social interaction here is different to normal. It really isn't normal.

Is it just me who feels disappointed about the whole atmosphere? It feels like I'm back at high school, everyone trying to impress and look cool/good. It's really not my thing. I am someone who is completely myself, that's my personality .. I could not pretend to be someone I am not in any way. But if you do that and don't try play up to a certain figure or act a certain way you can get left out of social groups and become very isolated. It's a weird one.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What uni are you at if you don't mind me asking? I will be 22 when I start and am also worried about not fitting in.
Original post by le_darkhorse
Just my thoughts about Uni really. I feel like the enviornment is just a bubble and it operates around structured cliques. If you go out into the real world, it simply doesn't work like this. I'm 22 so a little older than most of my 18/19 year old peers/friends.

I dislike my flatmates. They are selfish, leave their food everywhere and have never invited me to anything even though I have got them out. Partially they do this because they just haven't invited me and partially because 1 or 2 flatmate on't have their own friends.

But my general point is the fakeness of people. I don't know if I'm overthinking but I just see so much 'sucking up'. Certain people trying to act a a certain way in front of certain people to get a certain status. Even in my friendship group I have someone like this who is dividing the group. I feel like after 5 weeks or so it became very cliquey. I would try to say hello or smile at people and be friendly but they would ignore (but ironically add me on facebook). People try to be someone they are not.

Infact there's people on Facebook who added me and in real life they completely ignore me. It's weird.

Being a bit older I can recognise that the social interaction here is different to normal. It really isn't normal.

Is it just me who feels disappointed about the whole atmosphere? It feels like I'm back at high school, everyone trying to impress and look cool/good. It's really not my thing. I am someone who is completely myself, that's my personality .. I could not pretend to be someone I am not in any way. But if you do that and don't try play up to a certain figure or act a certain way you can get left out of social groups and become very isolated. It's a weird one.

Have you thought of looking for other mature students? Maybe they feel the same way as you do.
Reply 3
People do get rather cliquey, especially in the early years of uni. Eventually people loosen up and actually talk to their connections more because they need help for their work. When it comes to getting friends you're better off joining a society, which in itself seems cliquey but most of them are happy for new people to join them.

It's only early days for you isn't it? Keep an eye out for social events (Not really club nights or anything, more like quiz nights or day trips), meet people who study different degrees and meet them and their friends in your spare time.
Reply 4
That's total rubbish. There are plenty of people to make friends with; if it's not working it might be because you're not making the effort, or because you're a boring, conceited person.
Reply 5
Original post by Morrisseya
What uni are you at if you don't mind me asking? I will be 22 when I start and am also worried about not fitting in.

Don't worry you will fit in being a chick. If you were a guy then you would be screwed.
Original post by The Juan
Don't worry you will fit in being a chick. If you were a guy then you would be screwed.

Why is that?
Original post by CrisSBaader
Have you thought of looking for other mature students? Maybe they feel the same way as you do.

Most are 18/19. Just a few are 20. That's about it!
Most are 18/19. Just a few are 20. That's about it!

Join the mature students' society, if there is one?
Original post by Clip
That's total rubbish. There are plenty of people to make friends with; if it's not working it might be because you're not making the effort, or because you're a boring, conceited person.

You're saying it as if you know me. What the hell do you know to be saying whether I am boring and/or conceited and not making enough effort?

Edit: and also at what point did I say I didn't have any friends?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
You're saying it as if you know me. What the hell do you know to be saying whether I am boring and/or conceited and not making enough effort?

Edit: and also at what point did I say I didn't have any friends?

Case proven.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Why is that?

Guys like the company of higher years and they will treat as such
Guys like the company of higher years and they will treat as such

I thought it was the other way round TBH. I look young for my age (Asian, I still get hit on by 16/17 year olds in the street despite being 20, who think I'm kidding when I say I have a job :rofl:) but isn't it usually guys who prefer younger girls, giving older guys the advantage? :tongue:
Original post by Clip
Case proven.

Actually this comes across as arrogant and conceited.
OP is right, how do you know his/her character to judge it as "conceited"?
Reply 14
I thought it was the other way round TBH. I look young for my age (Asian, I still get hit on by 16/17 year olds in the street despite being 20, who think I'm kidding when I say I have a job :rofl:) but isn't it usually guys who prefer younger girls, giving older guys the advantage? :tongue:

Not the first years on my course, that's for sure
Not the first years on my course, that's for sure

That's odd. I thought 18 year olds fancying 22 year old women was pretty much considered cougar town. Nice to hear anyway :lol:
Reply 16
That's odd. I thought 18 year olds fancying 22 year old women was pretty much considered cougar town. Nice to hear anyway :lol:

What lol no, in late 30s and 40s Maybe but 22 lol.
Original post by Clip
Case proven.

Not really, all I saw was you making baseless assumptions about op as though you understood his personal experiences, are you some sort of uber university expert that knows everything and anything about every university in Britain?

You will be fine, honestly. I started at 21 and quite honestly it is alright. We aren't even that much older than the people there. Age does not equal maturity so sometimes you will find the 18 year olds more mature than the 20+ year olds, just depends on the person.

I have friends from 18-30 and I only happen to know ages through random conversation, it was never literally 'how old are you?'

If you're 22, you should be able to set the tone and define the culture of the group. Why are you not doing this? Why are you whining on TSR instead?

Who is really being immature here, them... or you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending