The Student Room Group

Why do people look down on BTEC's compared to A-levels?

It seems that people who have A-levels look down on people with BTEC's as if they've got the better qualification, what are your views?
They're two different types of qualifications. I'm not saying I agree with this but I guess some people might just see BTECs as being easy and because you're able to get help on your work whereas with A-levels you're most likely to have to do all the work yourself..meaning getting that grade with no help (well obviously teachers help you through the year by teaching it but you know)
Well people look down on them because they are easier, which they are.
BTECs are easier, and generally taken by less academically minded students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Much easier way to build up UCAS points
Reply 5
BTEC's are considered open book tests, as the information doesn't have to be remembered, as all the resources are available as the coursework is being written. A-levels however, have to be not only learnt but applied, so one can't simply memorise and write an essay but has to be able to apply their knowledge to whatever question the examiner formulates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
At my college to get in on an A-level course you need a B at GCSE in that subject.

To get onto a BTEC you need 3 C's at GCSE which DO NOT need to include maths, english and Science.

BTEC's are so much easier and I think often it is really stupid how they are worth equal amounts of UCAS points to A-levels. a distinction* at BTEC is probably at a push worth a low B at A-level, the content of a BTEC isnt always easy, its the fact that the coursework being marked is so easy to complete as you literally have to remember nothing, you can just google the answer and write it down.
Reply 7
I really dont think that BTECs should be looked down on, they are probably one of the best entry levels into employment(for people who choose not to go to uni) as they are vocational qualifications and teach you work related skills for a variety of jobs in a chosen sector.

Also they can get you into university, not only that if you take a similar subject at university they are really good preparation, and for some subjects they prepare you better in my opinion.

I did a BTEC Extended in IT and it was taught by the same teachers as A level and covered the same content as similar A levels in the same department, I got into a good university and currently study Computer Science and so far this term I have achieved firsts in every test and coursework (except one which was a 2:1) as the course content and style of learning i have found to be very similar.

i dont know how else to compare apart from judging by my own experiences so far, people will say that they shouldn't be equal qualifications but I have no reason to say they shouldn't, They prepared me well for uni and I feel confident that if i didn't go to uni i possess the relevant skills to get a job or apprenticeship in the IT sector.

Quick Reply

Latest