The Student Room Group

Science Controlled Assessment

This will be a very important exam since it's going to go in my end of year GCSE grade. I find it really confusing with Science Controlled Assessment and what kind of questions do they ask in the Test?
I know you do an experiment and then do answer some questions on it. Is it hard to even a B or C on it? Getting an A in a test on all the subjects seems impossible for me, I won't even think about it. :frown:
Original post by Vincent29
This will be a very important exam since it's going to go in my end of year GCSE grade. I find it really confusing with Science Controlled Assessment and what kind of questions do they ask in the Test?
I know you do an experiment and then do answer some questions on it. Is it hard to even a B or C on it? Getting an A in a test on all the subjects seems impossible for me, I won't even think about it. :frown:

Hiya,

I do triple science GCSE and I've done 2 ISAs so far.
The ISA is in 3 sections. Paper 1 is about an experiment you have investigated on a given context where you will explain your chosen method and answer questions on it (this is 20 marks)
Then you do an experiment that the exam board give you and draw a graph from your results. (This is marked)
Then paper 3 is based on your experiment and whether your results support the hypothesis you have been given. (This is worth 30 marks)

I recommend going on the exam board website and looking at past papers to get a feel of the type of questions they ask- the questions are pretty much the same every time.

I would look carefully at the mark schemes and pick out the type of language they use and specific details they're looking for. I would also learn your science keywords (list provided on board's website) as they're vital to understanding and gaining full marks on each question.

ISAs are not difficult and you should be absolutely fine don't worry however they can be deceptively easy because they're very picky about what you have to include in each answer and it's easy to drop lots of marks.

If you need any more help (I got full marks in my physics and dropped one mark in my biology) just ask and good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending