The Student Room Group

Nottingham, Exeter or cass for investment banking ?

Hi, guys.
ive got an offer from Exeter to do economics - definitely like the course content and am aware they've been giving out high offers (As high as A*A*A) this year. Never the less, I believe it isn't even a semi-target as far as am aware even though it's a top 10 university.

Ive also got offers from nottingham to do industrial economics (which I don't mind studying but I would have preferred L100) And an offer from cass for investment and financial risk management.
I understand that cass and notts are semi-targets.

Which of these courses at these universities would give me the best chance ( I know it's still a long way away for front office IB ) ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Surely it's between cass and nottingham? I guess IFRM will better equip you for a career within trading (if this is what interests you?). Otherwise, it's important to visit both uni's to see which one you'd fit into better/enjoy more. After all, you'll be there for three years.
Reply 3
Original post by bob1002
Surely it's between cass and nottingham? I guess IFRM will better equip you for a career within trading (if this is what interests you?). Otherwise, it's important to visit both uni's to see which one you'd fit into better/enjoy more. After all, you'll be there for three years.

Exactly as I thought, but I also wanted to know how far behind is Exeter against cass and Notts ? I'll probably firm notts as I like it more than cass after various visits (my friends go there lol)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by invictus212
Hi, guys.
ive got an offer from Exeter to do economics - definitely like the course content and am aware they've been giving out high offers (As high as A*A*A) this year. Never the less, I believe it isn't even a semi-target as far as am aware even though it's a top 10 university.

Ive also got offers from nottingham to do industrial economics (which I don't mind studying but I would have preferred L100) And an offer from cass for investment and financial risk management.

Which of these courses at these universities would give me the best chance ( I know it's still a long way away for front office IB ) ?

Study the one you enjoy. If you have a strong profile, banks aren't going to say no purely because you went to Cass or Nottingham over Exeter. It's just the opportunities at Cass and Nottingham have with regards to internal events is higher because IBs visit on Campus and host events. I study IFRM at Cass, btw, so you can ask me any questions you want.

Front office IB is difficult to break in wherever you go.
Hi, guys.

Hey Invictus,

I usually don't reply on here, but since I was in the exact same situation last year with the exact same offers, and having done a lot of research on this topic, I feel I should help you with your decision here.

I actually spent a lot of time choosing between Industrial Economics at Nottingham and IFRM at Cass because both courses seemed very appealing and reputation wise they are on a very similar level - hardly any difference at all. In the end I decided to firm IFRM at Cass purely because the course really does set you up for a career in IB (just have a look at the modules they study compared to Industrial Econ) and this will definitely give you an advantage should you choose to enter IB. I also turned down my Exeter offer because I didn't think the reputation of the school was as strong as Cass or Nottingham, and I felt the social life in London was far better than in Exeter. However, this is simply a personal preference, one which you have to decide on.

Either way, I also think you should study the one you would enjoy the most, because it's a 3 year course and if you enjoy yourself you are more likely to do well in your degree and therefore more likely to pursure your chosen career!

Best of luck in your decision!
Reply 6
Original post by The Prestige
Hey Invictus,

I usually don't reply on here, but since I was in the exact same situation last year with the exact same offers, and having done a lot of research on this topic, I feel I should help you with your decision here.

I actually spent a lot of time choosing between Industrial Economics at Nottingham and IFRM at Cass because both courses seemed very appealing and reputation wise they are on a very similar level - hardly any difference at all. In the end I decided to firm IFRM at Cass purely because the course really does set you up for a career in IB (just have a look at the modules they study compared to Industrial Econ) and this will definitely give you an advantage should you choose to enter IB. I also turned down my Exeter offer because I didn't think the reputation of the school was as strong as Cass or Nottingham, and I felt the social life in London was far better than in Exeter. However, this is simply a personal preference, one which you have to decide on.

Either way, I also think you should study the one you would enjoy the most, because it's a 3 year course and if you enjoy yourself you are more likely to do well in your degree and therefore more likely to pursure your chosen career!

Best of luck in your decision!

Hi.

Thank you for this detailed response. Really stuck between all my options. I've been to cass on multiple occasions and I didn't like the vibe there. A lot of people who were in the first year weren't that driven at all (might have just met the wrong lot). Also, the specificity of IFRM really worries me. I would much rather prefer an economics degree which will mean I could go into consultancy for example if I wished. Also, contacting the admissions tutors at nottingham she told me that if I got good grades, I could ring her on results day and get on to the straight economics course. I also really liked nottingham when I visited. However, I've never been to Exeter. Moreover, I may want to do a masters - would doing very specific degrees such as IFRM and industrial economics affect my chances of getting into a masters course at Oxbridge or LSE ?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonynous
Study the one you enjoy. If you have a strong profile, banks aren't going to say no purely because you went to Cass or Nottingham over Exeter. It's just the opportunities at Cass and Nottingham have with regards to internal events is higher because IBs visit on Campus and host events. I study IFRM at Cass, btw, so you can ask me any questions you want.

Front office IB is difficult to break in wherever you go.

I think the course content for the IFRM course is amazing! Am just in two minds about it because of the specificity as I may want to do a post grad at a target uni. Also, I think an economics degree would be better for consulting if I wanted to do it ?
I think the course content for the IFRM course is amazing! Am just in two minds about it because of the specificity as I may want to do a post grad at a target uni. Also, I think an economics degree would be better for consulting if I wanted to do it ?

I know graduates from IFRM who went on to do Finance, Financial Mathematics, Econometrics MSc at targets i.e Imperial yadayada etc.. it's moreso the quantitative side of the spectrum. Nevertheless, do you what you enjoy. It matters little what degree you do, as you essentially learn similar things with regards to Finance & Economics. For instance, our economics modules are 70-80% quantititative. Macro/Micro/Econometrics etc..

Albeit, if you enjoy moreso the theoritical side to studying than Economics might be for you. One reason, I didn't want to study economics is because it's too judgement based/cetaris paribus/assumptions about everything and it didn't appeal to my more practical sense.

Although, some may like that.. and that's totally cool. In reality, none of what we learn in university will actually be used in industry. I've interned at an IB, and tbh they just care about your willingness to learn/capability to think for yourself and raw intellect, rather than your ability to give a detailed explanation on the application of Keynsian economics in the 21st century coupled with the limitations of Black Scholes Model when pricing options.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
I know graduates from IFRM who went on to do Finance, Financial Mathematics, Econometrics MSc at targets i.e Imperial yadayada etc.. it's moreso the quantitative side of the spectrum. Nevertheless, do you what you enjoy. It matters little what degree you do, as you essentially learn similar things with regards to Finance & Economics. For instance, our economics modules are 70-80% quantititative. Macro/Micro/Econometrics etc..

Albeit, if you enjoy moreso the theoritical side to studying than Economics might be for you. One reason, I didn't want to study economics is because it's too judgement based/cetaris paribus/assumptions about everything and it didn't appeal to my more practical sense.

Although, some may like that.. and that's totally cool. In reality, none of what we learn in university will actually be used in industry. I've interned at an IB, and tbh they just care about your willingness to learn/capability to think for yourself and raw intellect, rather than your ability to give a detailed explanation on the application of Keynsian economics in the 21st century coupled with the limitations of Black Scholes Model when pricing options.

I've got a day at cass on the 10th December, so I will ask as much questions I can on the course etc. But, ATM I'm leaning towards nottingham. The fact that cass is in London is also a major factor. Hard decisions to make :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
I've got a day at cass on the 10th December, so I will ask as much questions I can on the course etc. But, ATM I'm leaning towards nottingham. The fact that cass is in London is also a major factor. Hard decisions to make :frown:

Very good. Dry those student ambassadors for all they have. I was meant to be hosting on that day, although I'll be out of London.
Very good. Dry those student ambassadors for all they have. I was meant to be hosting on that day, although I'll be out of London.

Thanks, ill see what else anyone on here can input.
Thanks, ill see what else anyone on here can input.

My decisions was between Cass and Loughborough
Reply 13
Tough choice to make and I don't feel that I have enough knowledge to help you make an informed decision. However, it is surely a decision between Cass and Nottingham. Tbh neither place highly in IB, especially considering the number of LSE and Oxbridge students applying for similar roles. Let alone imperial, ucl and Warwick.

Either way, you might have to do a masters. Choose the Uni that has the most networking/IB career events. Being in London gives you an advantage in terms of networking. No one gives a **** about which course you studied as long as there is some quantitative aspect and that you can demonstrate an interest in finance.

Good luck!
Original post by f1 boss
Tough choice to make and I don't feel that I have enough knowledge to help you make an informed decision. However, it is surely a decision between Cass and Nottingham. Tbh neither place highly in IB, especially considering the number of LSE and Oxbridge students applying for similar roles. Let alone imperial, ucl and Warwick.

Either way, you might have to do a masters. Choose the Uni that has the most networking/IB career events. Being in London gives you an advantage in terms of networking. No one gives a **** about which course you studied as long as there is some quantitative aspect and that you can demonstrate an interest in finance.

Good luck!

So from what your saying a degree at cass would be better as it's located in London ? However, there's loads of banks that recruit from nottingham too.
So from what your saying a degree at cass would be better as it's located in London ? However, there's loads of banks that recruit from nottingham too.

Just curious to know what you decided in the end, as I too struggled to decide between IFRM at Cass and Industrial Economics at Notts.

I personally went with Nottingham in the end.
Original post by Exceptional
Just curious to know what you decided in the end, as I too struggled to decide between IFRM at Cass and Industrial Economics at Notts.

I personally went with Nottingham in the end.

Got into the deloitte scholar scheme programme mate, so won't be going uni next year. And, i firmed UoB.
Reply 17
Hi, guys.

lol mate, someone lied to you.

For IB recruiting, assuming ceteris paribus, would go for Notts > Cass > Exeter.
Original post by MAINE.
lol mate, someone lied to you.

For IB recruiting, assuming ceteris paribus, would go for Notts > Cass > Exeter.

hmm what about Queen Mary economics vs the investment financial risk management course at CASS? which one is better to choose as firm?
Reply 19
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
hmm what about Queen Mary economics vs the investment financial risk management course at CASS? which one is better to choose as firm?

For, I would take Cass over QM. Cass has the business school so has a lot more resources & facilities dedicated to finance and careers in finance than Queen Mary would.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending